So I love all the Teesha Moore projects floating around and wanted to try it. My goal is to make a Star Trek one, but wanted a quick practice project first. So I decided to make a small quick M*A*S*H Themed bag to try out the technique. This quick project took me more than 4 months to finish, but I love it. It's big enough for my wallet, keys, and camera (I probably should have made it a hair bigger to fit a notebook the odd time).
The hardware isn't exactly what I had pictured but was the best I could get to fit through the eyelets. The bag it lined with quilting cotton with fusible interfacing attached to it (I forgot to ask my husband to take a picture showing the bag open--if anyone is interested in seeing it I'll see what I can do). When I planned everything out to start I forgot to consider overlap for sewing the patches together so it isn't perfect (and in one spot there is a hole) (a lesson learned for next time).
The whole bag.
I embroidered the words oh the two top patches (my first real embroidery ever...).
Close up of the front:
I stenciled the M*A*S*H logo and martini glass using a computer printout covered in scotch tape. It would have worked great if I hadn't used too much paint at one point (you can see the bleed on the logo).
The Hawaiian fabric is from an old pair of my pants, and the green patch at the bottom is from a fulled sweater.
Close up of the back:
Between the basketball and Green patch there is a small gap. I sewed a piece of the lining fabric right side out to be seen through the hole.
Close up of the Choppers:
This patch is made from an old shirt of mine (not exactly the right helicopters, but close enough). Part way through I ran out of the colour of embroidery floss I was using. Luckily enough it's not too noticeable where I had to use a new option.
Close up of the Martini glass and the camo patch that didn't turn out that great.
I added a couple of Radar Buttons for some fun.
I attached the button to the lining through the little gap. Sadly the music fabric is getting discoloured with use.
All in all it's not perfect, but I am excited to try the method again for another project. It was a struggle to sew through the patches with the sewing machine though, so I may need to think through the construction a little better next time.
I'd love to hear what you think.