A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Live Christmas trees--potted, not chopped down  (Read 956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008 08:00:16 AM »

I love real, live, piney-scented Christmas trees . . . however, they're usually a little expensive, AND I usually felt guilty when the grandmom used to get one . . . cutting down a tree just for a few weeks of enjoyment doesn't really seem to honor our beautiful planet . . . Soooo . . . my dad solved the problem a few years ago by buying a 3-4 foot POTTED pine tree (don't remember the specific variety).  We decorated it with small ornaments, kept it watered, and then in spring, when the ground thawed, we planted it in the yard. 
I plan on getting one for our apartment this year, then donating the tree to a friend or family-member who has a yard.  I'll try to post pics when I have time . . . . Just thought I'd share my idea, since I hadn't seen it mentioned in other posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
independentlulu
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008 08:28:12 AM »

My brother does this but a little differently.  Every year he gets a live potted tree and at the end of the season he plants it in his yard.  He has a fairly good sized lot and it is just beautiful.  I think it is a lovely tradition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008 08:58:47 AM »

Ooh, this is a great alternative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
TerraBella01

Crafting keeps me sane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008 06:08:12 PM »

I just bought a potted Christmas tree today. It's called a Norfolk Island Pine and is supposed to grow well in warmer climates, but is a good evergreen tree to keep indoors for those of us who are in colder areas.  I'm hoping that I will be able to keep it alive for at least a year. I plan on making some small decorations to go on it this weekend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jen_a_s
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008 08:00:08 AM »

I am rocking my Norfolk Island pine for its second Christmas.

I am a gardener, but I am a houseplant serial-killer, so if I can keep this baby alive, anybody can!  Smiley 

Anyway, obviously it depends on your climate, but you may be able to do what I do:  put it outside over the summer, somewhere relatively shady so that it doesn't become too used to full sun and then suffer when it comes inside. Then bring it in before first frost.

I found a lot of my existing ornaments are too heavy for the branches, but if you're making your own this weekend, then you can keep them lightweight.
Yay norfolk island christmas tree! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008 09:17:07 AM »

My parents did this one year, but the tree didn't come potted...that would have simplified things.  It was a rather large tree (five and a half feet, maybe?) and it had the ball on the end...you know, roots and dirt wrapped up in burlap.  We had to stand it in a pot and then tie it to the wall, as it wasn't even approaching stable.  I'm sure, if there was a place near them that sold potted trees, they would have done it more than once.  I am happy to report, though, that ten years later, the tree is still alive and well, in their yard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Ivablu1
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012 08:56:46 PM »

A good friend of mine has a really cool tree, it is a special variety (cant remember what sorry) that doesnt grow much, so you buy it and then just keep it in its pot, and every christmas decorate it! I think they have had theirs for about 10 years, and it still fits in their living room! cost effective too;) and it was really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If somebody offers you a lifetime supply of candy and there is only one piece; dont eat it, its probably poisoned.

I like to name my ipod "titanic" so when it says "syncing titanic" i click cancel, and it makes me feel like a hero:)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Review
How to Make Your Hair Color Last
How to Style Shoulder Length Hair
How to Get Big Sexy Hair with Teasing
The Secret to Hiding Split Ends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...