A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper wreath  (Read 4429 times)
Tags for this thread: wreath , book_pages , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: October 09, 2012 02:48:03 PM »

I got a load of books only fit for dismantling by dint of asking my local library for some. Wink

I've been trying some new things with them. This one I ripped the covers off, stewed in a pot of tea and had at it with a glue stick. A little later on I burned myself with the hot glue gun for the first time, but I'm sure not the last.

My real a-ha moment here was the idea of getting out my hubby's low temperature plastic stuff: you drop some in a mug (or other water container of hot water) and it becomes soft & pliable until it cools to room temperature again. Well, once I'd got a cone size I liked, I used the plastic to make a template for the other cones. It worked brilliantly  Grin, loads of quick, uniform cones. I must remember to use it for more templates!

Anyway, it's pretty and I like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
cmarion3
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012 03:59:56 PM »

Just the holiday gift for the literary crowd. Tho' they may gasp at the desecration of books. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC's Always
Monsters and Art Dolls
Art Journaling and Fabric Art Journaling
Mixed Media Madwoman
50 Projects in 2014
LRShimer
Postcard From California

California Hiker, Plain Style, Arty-Romantic Sewer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012 09:15:11 PM »

Hey I love altered book art! Thank you for reminding me about it. Had forgotten!

1) another thing you can do... can I describe it?.... Is like a card holder/non-rolling rolodex'y kind of thing. Take a big thick paperback - like a thick dictionary - sit it on it's spine - pages standing up, and fold one triangles down per page, at consistently alternate angle.

Boy I hope that makes sense and comes in handy.

2) Also I kind of think last year I used the same idea you did for a wreath here to make a big flower topper for a gift. Like an azalea kind of thing. Mebbe you would enjoy that as well.

Thanks again for making me think about this stuff. I had totally forgotten.

:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This historically inspired time traveling, California Romantic, is enchanted by sewing
http://MeEncantaCoser.blogspot.com/
Sewing Podcast iTunes Store - Search for "Enchanted By Sewing"
miamy
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012 09:42:08 PM »

And here I thought I was creative. I never would have thought of that. That is really cool. How about having your favourite literary quotes on the next one? It would make people come up close and pay attention. And it would be inspiring
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012 10:36:17 PM »

I think that is a great idea.  So many books just get thrown away - because they aren't great classics; many are just out-of-date text books.  At least this way they make something beautiful before they die.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012 01:18:09 AM »

It's not desecration: I would never use a book that could still be read. These are the books that came back to the library with missing pages, bits torn out, jam sticking the pages together, infants drawings on them or simply in several pieces.

The azalea idea sound great: I've got a chrysanthemum in my head to do. I will have to think about the rolodex tree idea: most of the books I've got so far are not in good enough condition, but if I keep it in the back of my mind when I get a good 'un.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HMax
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012 01:22:59 PM »

This is really lovely!  I'm trying to picture how you used the low temp plastic stuff to make the templates.  Can you explain further?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012 01:41:45 PM »

Oooh, I really love this!! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Antidigger
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012 01:50:04 PM »

The plastic template? Well, first of all I made a few paper cones and discovered they were all different sizes and didn't look good together, so I chose the nicest looking one and put it to one side. Then I took some of the low temperature melt plastic and remembered to put it in a mug of hot water and not my mug of tea Wink
Even if they're both about the same temperature.

Now the LTM plastic doesn't really melt, but it does go transparent (useful to tell you it's ready) and soften into a pliable sort of dough consistency. Then I rolled it into a rough cone shape and whilst it was still soft pushed it into the cone I'd decided was a nice shape. It came out a little wonky so I put it back in the mug and tried again. It worked a lot better that time, so now I have a cone of the right shape to wrap around. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HMax
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012 02:46:58 PM »

Cool thanks!  I figured that was probably it but wasn't sure if the plastic stuff was a sheet or a blob.  All cleared up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Wore It Best: Jennifer Lawrence or Lara Stone In Red Calvin Klein
Reveal of the Santa Claus Makeover
4 Different Ways To Wear Leather Pants
Anne Hathaway Has Wardrobe Malfunction At Les Miserables Premiere
How to Make a Sequined Tie Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...