A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,120
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sad T-shirt to Cute Tote Bag (Pic Heavy)  (Read 3107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cutemonster
« on: October 08, 2012 10:37:33 PM »

When I saw this challenge I knew that I simply had to give it a try. I went off to the local thrift store without really any idea for what I was going to make so me and my friend spent the good part of an afternoon searching for "the" item (and needless to say laughing hysterically at some of the outlandish things we found Cheesy) and I found this very sad looking t-shirt. I instantly loved it and decided that this was what I must get to use in my project.

(Sorry for the fuzzy picture, I think that background carpet confused the camera a bit XD)

(Detail pictures of the design)

As I carried it around the store I came up with the idea to turn it to a bag. After a trip to Walmart for some additional supplies, I got to work on my bag.
My first goal was to restore the design as much as possible. I used white acrylic paint to go over the design and fill in any missing areas of paint. I definitely underestimated how long it would take to do this part XD

Now, being pretty much a sewing novice I did some serious internet searching for tutorials and instructions on bag making (If you've made a bag tutorial I probably looked at it XD) I originally wanted to make a messenger bag but I honestly didn't have enough fabric for that and also making one seems REALLY complicated. So I decided to go for the simple approach and make a tote bag. My friend's grandmother was kind enough to invite me over and allow me to use her sewing machine for this project.
To construct the actual bag I simply followed multiple tutorials to make the handles and the main part of the bag. I really can't explain my process to well because I didn't really know what I was doing half the time, so I'm just going to put up some pictures of the bag in progress and hope people can understand what I was doing. (If anyone has any questions though, feel free to ask me and I will try to answer them as best as I can).

The front and back panels of the bag. I tried to show how I attached the t-shirt fabric to the cotton duck I was using for the rest of the bag.

The bag all sewn together before it was turned right side out

FINISHED!!  Grin

All packed up and ready to go out.

In case anyone is curious, the characters above the penguin (from left to right) say Love, Joy/Happiness, and Dream
Thanks for looking at my project and I hope you like it (I certainly enjoyed making it Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oath Keeper

Addicted to Plushies...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012 11:15:59 PM »

That is such a cute and brilliant idea Smiley I never even thought about painting over a faded t-shirt! I think I need to try something like this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012 05:24:35 AM »

that turned out really cute!  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mariak
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012 08:11:58 AM »

I love It! you have done a fantastic job.  Grin i love making tote bags.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunnyDawn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012 09:51:30 AM »

Sweet, nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn Milburn
St. Louis, MO
sunnydawne@gmail.com
anderlance
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012 03:47:44 PM »

Really, really, really like this!  Really!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wherewolfmom
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012 01:28:05 PM »

you did a fantastic job. I love the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzythellama
Cooking

All hail the mighty llamas!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012 03:22:32 PM »

I plan on making a bag out of my gir shirt when it gets to small. I really don't want to mess up on this. Could you give me some of the better websites and videos you found. Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I try to cook something, I end up eating it before I'm done.
navycowgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012 01:46:55 PM »

So cute, I never would have thought to repaint the design. That is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Pumpkin
How to Make Fake Blood
Everyday DIY: Teacher Gifts
Everyday DIY: Back to School With Love
How to Put on a Puppet Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...