A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fork You Tape Monster!!  (Read 4664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 08, 2012 05:21:56 PM »

So, firstly I have to say that one person's ugly is another's "OMG I LOVE that!!".  So for me, the ugly was the chaotic pile of tape that used to live here..

Now I love my tape collection (I have a .."thing" for round things with holes in them...don't ask me, I just live here), and felt bad I was treating it so deplorably.  I have been trying to think of a solution since the move, and nothing was realy sticking out as a good idea.  So, when I found some things I could work with while scavenging at a local thrift store yesterday, I snapped them up.

The poor little spoon holder just looked so sad and unloved.  Then I saw the bag of equally unloved forks and I had an idea....firstly, smack them forks up a bit Grin

I flattened 8 of them and then made L brackets of 2 others.  Three of them I kept as they came to me.

I turned the spoon holder on it's side and figured I could lay the flat forks from the middle section to each of the outside support bars.  It worked, but they threatened to jump out of thier slots, so I grabbed my cute yet very NOT powerful mini rotary tool (but it was so worth the 7$ as my normal rotaries would not fit into the middle section at all) and drilled small holes just past the spoon rest holes, so that one tine of each fork would fit in

And it worked!

The forks stay in their slots, but can still be removed for slipping the tape spools on....I was feeling rather chuffed with myself at this point, so I moved on to decorating it.  I painted it an orange that would not stand out too much from the paneling in my craft room.  I figured the tape collection would be busy enough, so I didn't want a popping color.  But it still looked meh.  So (of course) I turned to my handy dandy collection of googly eyes.  They always make everything better Grin.  I also made holes on the sides so I could put the 3 unsmashed forks in for more tape spool storage, and glued those forks in.

The next day, everything was dry and I was ready to set my new tape monster in it's place...

The 2 forks I picked to be L brackets had a perfect little space between the tines for the wood screw, so it was easy going...except...I could not for the life of me find the other L bracket!  I looked...the Hub looked...even Cosmo looked, though I don't think he knew for what, but he did want to help Grin.  Nothing.  SO I found a place to put my tape monster up, where it would use the one L bracket and a support bracket from the shelves above...I'm back to feeling chuffed again YEAH!

So here is my starving at the mo Tape Monster.  It is only supported by the one fork bracket and the wooden bracket in the upper left.  But it is working fine, and I can take the whole thing down if I need to take it for a walk or something.  But he was grumbly and needed feeding ASAP..

so I quickly stuffed him as full as I could...which is why I didn't get a pic of my hideous pile of tapy chaos before.  I was worried I would loose a finger if I waited too long.

So I'm quite happy with my new organizing monster.  He doesn't hold all my tape though.  My duct tapes are on 2 candle sticks and a tall glass vase that they gave me at the thrift shop (gotta love a free box Grin), but they all are in easy reach now..

and no more guilt of tape abuse!

Thanks for looking Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
amalgam
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012 08:07:21 PM »

Wow. How fun! I hope you and your tape monster have many happy years together(just make sure you keep all your fingers in the process.)Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012 10:09:30 PM »

Ooooh! So much tape! I love how you used the forks- only you could combine a fork and spoon holder to make someting fun and useful!  Grin Your tape monster is a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012 05:09:38 PM »

Thanks a bunch y'all!  It was fun to make and it makes me oddly happy to look at it.  The tapes on display will change...as soon as I find the other wee box of funky tapes that I have...somewhere...And I know I have some tape that you sent me BB.  I have another candle stick that I can use for the larger rolls Grin

OO and I forgot to meantion that I found the other fork bracket!  It was hiding in a box under the desk.  So soon it will have it's third means of support
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012 05:11:53 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012 09:32:47 PM »

Oh, glad to hear you have another box of tape lying around- I was already getting my shoes on to go get you some more! That shelf needs filling up  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoblinofHa
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012 06:07:17 PM »

That's really neat. I love the forks. Smiley Does the Tape Monster just sit on the fork brackets? I might just have to steal that idea. I've been wanting to put up a small shelf in my bathroom, but my walls are plaster except for the strip of molding that goes around the room midway up the wall. I've been looking for brackets that I can screw into the molding, but the only ones I've found have either been ugly/utilitarian or too big. I'm so psyched now! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012 06:18:15 PM »

That's really neat. I love the forks. Smiley Does the Tape Monster just sit on the fork brackets? I might just have to steal that idea. I've been wanting to put up a small shelf in my bathroom, but my walls are plaster except for the strip of molding that goes around the room midway up the wall. I've been looking for brackets that I can screw into the molding, but the only ones I've found have either been ugly/utilitarian or too big. I'm so psyched now! Cheesy

Excellent!  I'm excited it inspires you Grin  And Thanks!

My tape monster rest against the wood triangular bracket on the upper left, and the fork bracket on the bottom right.  It is mostly being held still by the upper L. bracket.  If you made your utensils into U shapes, a shelf could be held to a plaster wall...But it will be unsteady if it is not held somehow from the top....I think Grin  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012 06:18:37 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012 06:06:27 AM »

I can't believe a got all the way to the bottom of your post, my jaw hanging open the whole way, without realizing who had posted it! Shocked The googly eyes should have been enough of a giveaway, although as Birdbones said, only you could have come up with the basic concept.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012 10:58:27 AM »

I don't normally put words in every picture, so my guess is that is why you didn't recognize me at first.  I did have a thought in the middle of it all..."I had better put some googly eyes on this thing, or nobody will know it's mine!"  extra glad I did that now Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acraftyjean
Wasabi Snobby~ It's green and it's hot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012 10:10:19 AM »

How smart and excellent! Great job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recycled repurposed denim and such for handmade accessories!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make an origami bird
How to Make an Origami Fortune Teller
How to Fold an Origami Paper Cup
How to Fold an Origami Elephant
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...