A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sea nymph costume HELP  (Read 1224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ash081705
« on: October 05, 2012 10:29:15 PM »

OK so, Ive decided to be a sea nymph, got a plan for my webbed hands, my gills, my makeup. Haven't really decided on my hair but as of right now I am unsure about actual costume. I have a corset from last Halloween and figured I'd use that, only problem is it is black and white so I'll have to change that somehow. For a skirt I was thinking something along the lines of taking a fishing net and making some kind of fairy type skirt out of that. Unsure on most aspects of this costume and all advice and ideas are so much appreciated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christysaysrawr
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012 01:59:54 PM »

I would think a high low skirt would be perfect for this costume- one in a sheer blue or green fabric.
Wear over a pencil skirt (or something form fitting) or a pair of leggings.

Here's a great tutorial on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHaz6mBtkk

Or you could make a pixie skirt out of the netting- layering various fabrics.

I would dye the corset in a similar/matching color and perhaps add some glitter (fabric glitter) to it- if you aren't worried about changing it.

And as far as hair- I would do something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AyDTOcMBrE

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012 10:24:55 AM »

The corset is probably polyester, so unless you want to buy that idyepoly stuff, I'd recommend fabric paint or acrylic paint with textile medium. You can heat-set it with an iron once dry, or a blow drier right up close if you're concerned about melting the corset. Hand painting also gives you the opportunity to add little details like seaweed, starfish and corals Cheesy

I think a multi-layer pixie skirt is a great idea! You could make it four or five layers of squares with a slightly-larger-than-hip-sized hole in the middle of each layer. Fabrics like net, fishnet, lace, tulle, organza, taffeta or anything else with sheen and/or texture would be a good choice. To finish it off, attach all the layers to a waistband at the same time and thread an elastic into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY revolution
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012 11:34:30 AM »

If you're not afraid of ruining the corset for future uses, you could stitch or glue actual seashells onto it, along the top edge or randomly all over it. If you knit, or know someone that does, you could try making "seaweed"- a couple years ago I went as a mermaid and for warmth I knit a "seaweed" shawl out of green and blue novelty yarn. I also made a smaller cord of the seaweed and hung a seashell from the middle of it, which I wore on my head with the seashell falling onto my forehead (think of the headpiece that the childlike empress wore in the Neverending Story... but with seashells. Pearls would also be fitting!!) Just some ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Bombing Middle England" by Banksy
How to Paint Still Life Fruit
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Learn About "Ponies" by the Artist Jeff Koons
Painting Lesson - Infused Light
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...