A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little paper snowflake ornament (and a larger one too!) - 8 Big images  (Read 3246 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mintbamboo
« on: December 20, 2008 04:24:46 AM »

I'm a bit of a craft masochist. I see something and decide that it's not nearly small enough, so I scale it down and drive myself crazy trying to get it to work. It took me a good 2.5-3 hours to do this:

(Craftster and/or Photobucket is/are being weird about portrait-style images, so I'll have to make them landscape)

I got the instructions for the non-traditional paper snowflake here. Having been warned by the blog that the end result was "pretty big," and being too cheap to use up six sheets of printer paper just for one flake (though a low supply of printer paper and an impending philosophy paper contributed as well), I made a 1/4th sized version:

Still way too big! (Though it's happily hanging on my closet). Had to go smaller. So I made the 1/64th sized version:

The middle of the small one is a bit wonky, but I'm quite pleased with it. So much so that I feel the need to emphasize the smallness of it and what I had to do to glue the tiny parts together  Wink

Artsy shot for good measure:

Massive post, sorry!  Smiley
These are really quite easy to make if you don't make them so small. I started a 1/16th version and it wasn't very difficult at all (I just thought it was still too big Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008 05:06:11 AM »

They're absolutely beautiful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008 06:10:05 AM »

Wow, those are gorgeous!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008 06:24:30 AM »

This is awesome!  I've been wanting to try this, but not wanting to make something so very big.  Now, I am inspired to try it again, on a smaller scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008 07:04:39 AM »

Crafty minds think alike!  I was thinking of trying to make a small version of this too.  I just knew it would be a pain.  You did a wonderful job, but Ive decided not to try it, lol.  I have been making a larger version that I am hanging from the ceiling.  I have been using 4" x 4" papers for each "petal" and it is still pretty easy to work with.  I use plain white glue and silver glitter.  They are so pretty.  I am wondering if you could dip these in wax like you can regular paper snow flakes.  Anyone try that yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
CreativeChick8

www.soundwavejewelry.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008 08:22:54 AM »

There are two things I want to say to you........

number one: it's gorgeous. I make these on a daily basis, but I make em 5x bigger than normal (One covered a whole wall!)

number two: you're insane. seriously.

but it's gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mintbamboo
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008 01:25:13 PM »

Thank you everyone  Smiley

Crafty minds think alike!  I was thinking of trying to make a small version of this too.  I just knew it would be a pain.  You did a wonderful job, but Ive decided not to try it, lol.  I have been making a larger version that I am hanging from the ceiling.  I have been using 4" x 4" papers for each "petal" and it is still pretty easy to work with.  I use plain white glue and silver glitter.  They are so pretty.  I am wondering if you could dip these in wax like you can regular paper snow flakes.  Anyone try that yet?

Yup, the squares were 4"x4" for my 'big' snowflake, nice and easy to work with. I'll have to buy some glitter the next time I make some, that sounds nice!

There are two things I want to say to you........

number one: it's gorgeous. I make these on a daily basis, but I make em 5x bigger than normal (One covered a whole wall!)

number two: you're insane. seriously.

but it's gorgeous!

That... sounds huge! Do you have it posted anywhere?
And yes, I'm leaning towards insanity.  Cheesy Is it bad that I still kind of want to go see if they could go smaller?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
Mrs.Kitty~

Love me some crafty goodness >^_^<

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008 09:52:58 AM »

You are my hero!  I've been mulling over tiny ones after decorating my office with the larger versions {using old memos}  Smiley

They looks totally great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am exact and merciless, but I love you- There is no escape for you"
Walt Whitman

Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrs_kitty/

Blog-
http://mrskittysembroiderybasket.blogspot.com/
psycho_happy_kitten
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012 04:18:45 AM »

You're crazy! But I love those snowflakes, too Smiley. I am making a bunch of smallish-medium size ones to hang in my clinic at the hospital this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Attention Deficit Crafter.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Space Invader- Binary Code Street Art- Part 1
The Animation Chefs - Episode 4
The Animation Chefs - Episode 1
INTO THE ARCTIC #04: June 25, 2006-Studio Prep
SAM3- London Street Art Billboard for Nakba60.org.uk
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...