A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Last batch of corsets  (Read 2023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Costurasdeacero
« on: October 04, 2012 09:28:38 AM »

Hello all!

I finished a couple of corsets by the end of summer and haven't shared them yet! So here you go. The first one I finished I got the pattern through a corsetmakers website thanks to a lovely member who traced it from a very old patent. Suprisingly I havent' made an entirely black corset yet so black was the way to go!

It was a kind of tricky corset, as all the pieces were creatively shaped and not only the front heart shape. I got lucky with an amateur photographer I know and we made a photoshoot with this corset and others I've shown here before. As I said I got lucky because being an all black item there was no way I could take decent pictures of it! I used thinner boning in this one -and the ones I will show you in a bit- and I am still pondering which boning I like best. I can't quite remember how many bones I used in this one, but as I used double side interfacing I got to make this pretty light. I've traveled with it and it weights next to nothing! It's a lovely pattern but it takes so many hours so unless comissioned I'm afraid I won't be making any other from it soon.

I talk about the process of this corset in this entry in my blog and also about the patent search engine where many other corset patterns are waiting to be used  Cheesy http://costurasdeacero.blogspot.com.es/2012/06/google-patent-search-engine.html

The next two corsets are somewhat coordinated from two colorways of the same patterned fabric I got last year in Japan. It's a lovely cotton that's pretty sturdy, probably meant for quilts and both of them looked just perfect with the same Sand kona cotton I used for the binding. The black one is my standard underbust pattern only a size bigger than mine since I wanted to make it for sale. Thankfully I got enough fabric left for another one as I quite like it with that dress  Smiley

(yes, I feel silly looking at the camera when I'm using the self timer...)

I got the lining fabric thanks to a swap here on Craftster and I love it! it's pretty thick for corsets and stands up to sweat.

And finally! (phew!) this one it's an experiment, it's called a waist cincher, and got it adapting the underbust pattern and joining the front two pieces to get rid off the front busk as it is a bit too short for that. But because it's short it takes no time at all to lace it at the back so it's okay! it was great making this one since it was such a quick one against all the other ones I make. The only tricky part was cutting the boning so short, but I got the hang of it pretty quick.

Sadly, I didn't get action pictures but if I do I will post them!

Thank you for reading through all of this and hope you like them. C&C is very welcomed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012 09:31:49 AM »

Oh my god! These are so beautiful!! So professional! I WISH i could make stuff like this! I don't even have the guts to attempt corsets! Great job!! They're amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
Costurasdeacero
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012 11:23:15 AM »

Thank you so much!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012 09:17:03 PM »

How do you make corsets without breaking every needle you own? I think breaking needles is the main reason I refuse to attempt corsets, even though they're all I want to make! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
shynii
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012 02:07:22 PM »

Wow! They're all gorgeous. I own a couple corsets but didn't make any of them. It's definitely on my to-do-eventually list. Do you use steel boning? I've heard horror stories of plastic boning snapping and people needing serious stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dr. Who Swap - Success!
Interested in Personal Swaps

My Blog: http://castlelabyrinth.wordpress.com
My DeviantArt: http://shynii.deviantart.com
Costurasdeacero
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012 10:40:28 AM »

Thank you girls!!

I do use steel boning, I see my friends complaining about plastic boning all the time, not only it may snap but it's also uncomfortable.

Indeed I have to be very careful when sewing so I don't break any needle. I've been sucessfull so far! thanks to my zipper foot  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
CM Cia.Maritima Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Caffe Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Create Bronzed Summer Makeup
Tips to Keep Your Skin Hydrated This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...