A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Belle!  (Read 5725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

I_See_Nargles
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012 02:10:01 PM »

That's amazing! You're not being unreasonable with the price at all and I'm sure your coworkers friend will adore it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship, use the stencil. Do it!
~The Guild
jillrbassett
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012 08:58:47 PM »

Any tips on how much to charge for renting and how to go about it?

If I were renting it, I'd probably charge about $75.  Depending on how well you know the girl you're making this dress for, you might want to get a credit card number or a photocopy of her ID or something... that way she doesn't run off with your dress.  Make sure you get her to sign a simple contract that says the date she has to return it by, and that she's responsible for any damages to the dress.  (That is, if its something you can repair, she has to pay you for the hours it will take to repair it, and if the dress is damaged beyond repair then she's obligated to buy it for a set price.)

*** and later***
Not sure if you meant "how to go about it" like how to bring up the subject of rental with her.  So, if that's what you meant, I would say something like:
I've really enjoyed creating this dress, and I've put countless hours into really making sure it is a quality item.  As a result of my time and cost of materials, the price to buy this dress is going to be $xxx.  I understand this might be more costly that you were expecting. Since we didn't really discuss a budget ahead of time, and I would still love for you to wear the dress this Halloween, I can offer it to you on a rental-basis for a $xx. Let me know whether a purchase or a rental works better for your budget.

wow I feel like such a noob to all this. I really appreciate you're help/advice crafty.canadian! I probably would have just asked her to return and hoped that she would. I don't think I would have thought about drawing up a contract, or what to do if she ripped it or something. I'm so thankful for craftster! haha
I actually did mean how to bring it up, and I like the way you suggested doing it. I'll give that a shot and let you guys know what she says.

UPDATE: I asked her about renting and she says she still wants to buy it. But she wants to do a payment plan. Give me a "huge chunk" of it when I give it to her, and then pay me each week or so. I'm totally open to a payment plan, how do I set rules for the payment plan? I feel like this is something I should be able to figure out, but I just don't want to forget anything. Obviously we'd settle on how much i get when i give her the dress, and work out whatever amount she would be able to afford each week or however often she's able to. I'm guessing I should get some kind of credit card information, but what would I do with that? I don't really have a way of charging her, like I don't have one of those machines or something. I dont' know. I have no idea what i'm doing.

And thank you Nargles!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012 09:26:13 PM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
ivoryh1632
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012 10:44:10 PM »

well you could always use paypal for credit card stuff, although i'm not sure if you can charge someone else's card on there or set up an automatic payment on there. butif nothing else you can at least send invoices every week via paypal

but even if you can't find a way to charge her card if she doesnt pay, just make sure you get her credit card info (make sure you get the experation date, ccv, and billing address too) and she doesn't have to know that you don't have a way of charging her if she doesn't pay, but she does know that you have enough information to use her card for whatever you want if she doesn't pay....ok i know putting it that way sounds a little blackmail-ey,  but that's basicly what companies do when they get your credit card infor or ss# as a security deposit

but i've never done anything like before so that's just my best guess

and make sure you write up a payment plan/contract. you can even leave in blanks for the amounts if you aren't going to know them until you meet with her. so something like

This document serves to confirm that (her name) is entering into a payment plan with (your name) for payment of belle halloween dress. the total cost due is $xxx. The plan is detailed below:
down payment__($xxx)_________ paid on __(date)_______

payment #1 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #2 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #3 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

Failure to meet any of the above mentioned deadlines will revoke your current payment plan and result in use of your credit card information for compensatory payments/purchases.

I hereby agree to the above conditions.
(her name & signature) (date), (your name and signature) (date)

oh, and i'm basing that on a letter i just got from my old landlord cuz i still owe them a month's rent and they're letting me do a payment plan. but having the part about using her credit card for compensatory purchases would mean shes agreeing to you using her card info to make whatever purchases you see fit  in the amount that she owes you
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012 10:48:51 PM by ivoryh1632 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012 05:49:05 AM »

UPDATE: I asked her about renting and she says she still wants to buy it. But she wants to do a payment plan. Give me a "huge chunk" of it when I give it to her, and then pay me each week or so. I'm totally open to a payment plan, how do I set rules for the payment plan?

Well congratulations on selling your dress!  I'm thrilled that it worked out for you!

I think that ivoryh1632 has given you some good advice on a payment contract.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
jillrbassett
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012 09:22:50 AM »

well you could always use paypal for credit card stuff, although i'm not sure if you can charge someone else's card on there or set up an automatic payment on there. butif nothing else you can at least send invoices every week via paypal

but even if you can't find a way to charge her card if she doesnt pay, just make sure you get her credit card info (make sure you get the experation date, ccv, and billing address too) and she doesn't have to know that you don't have a way of charging her if she doesn't pay, but she does know that you have enough information to use her card for whatever you want if she doesn't pay....ok i know putting it that way sounds a little blackmail-ey,  but that's basicly what companies do when they get your credit card infor or ss# as a security deposit

but i've never done anything like before so that's just my best guess

and make sure you write up a payment plan/contract. you can even leave in blanks for the amounts if you aren't going to know them until you meet with her. so something like

This document serves to confirm that (her name) is entering into a payment plan with (your name) for payment of belle halloween dress. the total cost due is $xxx. The plan is detailed below:
down payment__($xxx)_________ paid on __(date)_______

payment #1 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #2 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #3 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

Failure to meet any of the above mentioned deadlines will revoke your current payment plan and result in use of your credit card information for compensatory payments/purchases.

I hereby agree to the above conditions.
(her name & signature) (date), (your name and signature) (date)

oh, and i'm basing that on a letter i just got from my old landlord cuz i still owe them a month's rent and they're letting me do a payment plan. but having the part about using her credit card for compensatory purchases would mean shes agreeing to you using her card info to make whatever purchases you see fit  in the amount that she owes you

haha I always thought the whole getting someones credit card info was a little blackmail-y but that was exactly why I figured I should get it. Thank you so much for the payment plan contract layout idea! I'll definitely be using that! I really appreciate it ivoryh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
ivoryh1632
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012 12:15:07 AM »

glad i could help, my friends always say i'm the lawyer of the group so i'm glad my services could be of use lol.

congrats on selling the dress, hope everything goes smoothly with the payment and all, let us know how it all turns out in the end
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012 02:33:41 AM »

Congratulations on selling your dress. You have done a great work, and it sounds like you both are satisfied!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012 03:56:09 AM »

*** and later***
Not sure if you meant "how to go about it" like how to bring up the subject of rental with her.  So, if that's what you meant, I would say something like:
I've really enjoyed creating this dress, and I've put countless hours into really making sure it is a quality item.  As a result of my time and cost of materials, the price to buy this dress is going to be $xxx.  I understand this might be more costly that you were expecting. Since we didn't really discuss a budget ahead of time, and I would still love for you to wear the dress this Halloween, I can offer it to you on a rental-basis for a $xx. Let me know whether a purchase or a rental works better for your budget.

I wouldn't offer the rental until you've thoroughly exhausted purchase negotiations. Giving her an "out" too early I think guarantees she will take the rental price. How many times can you wear a dress like that? A used dress, nifty though it might be, is worth less than brand new, so the resale value is already low.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunnyDawn
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012 06:50:18 AM »

Gorgeous work!  Someone is going to feel like a real princess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn Milburn
St. Louis, MO
sunnydawne@gmail.com
Ahma
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012 08:46:52 AM »

that is an amazing dress, good for you! you must be so proud to have sold it for a fair amount to you too (thats always the challenge)

paypal does actually have a 'subscription' type payment set up where, i believe, you can pick a start date, end date, and have it auto bill to come through the paypal. if that works for both of you its probably a very simple way to do it.

cheers! really really beautiful dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tim Federle Q&A
Tim Federle Reading Better Nate
Your Network Is Your Net Worth by Porter Gale
The Program by Suzanne Young
Mary Higgins Clark: The Queen of Suspense
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...