A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Belle!  (Read 6067 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillrbassett
« on: October 04, 2012 01:00:03 AM »

Hello!
Update:
We agreed on 250$ for the dress. I uploaded more pictures of the finished dress, and her in the dress here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=412503.msg4874207#msg4874207

So I've been commissioned to make Princess Belle's dress, from Beauty and the Beast for a friend of a coworker for halloween. She would like the dress by the third week of October, so I don't have much time to finish. It's coming together very well and I am very surprised with myself! The dress is still unfinished, but here is a picture:

The bodice and skirt are still not attached. I need to make the skirt lining, attach top and bottom, add a zipper, and it'll be finished. This picture was taken before I had finished hemming the gold ribbon at the bottom which is why it looks a bit wonky.

I know i'll be able to finish it in time, but I wanted to get some craftsters opinions about selling it. The materials cost about 60-70$ total. The dress will be fully lined with an invisible zipper and light weight for the size of the dress. The dress is being sold without the petticoat it's pictured in, the buyer is purchasing that separately from someone else on etsy I think.
With the project still being unfinished I've so far put in about 30 hours. I'm thinking, if I were to be paid only 8$/hr at any regular job, for 30 hrs I'd be paid about 240$ (forgetting about tax). So i'm thinking of charging 200 $ to possibly 250? I'll probably settle closer to 200 or 230$. Does that sound reasonable? Am I asking too much? This is the first time i'm making anything for money. Usually I just make projects for myself or simple dresses to barter with. So I honestly don't know how to charge.

I asked the buyer if she had a spending limit but she didn't really seem to care about price. When we started this project I told her the price will depend on how well the project turns out. If it were to suck, i'd have her only cover materials. If it were to be decent we could discuss what she thinks is fair. So far this dress has exceeded my expectations, so I don't know what to do. Right now she's working at disneyland in food service I think. So I know she has an income at least.

What do you craftsters think? Is 200 or more too much? Huh

C&C welcome!  Smiley

P.S.
I found this dress on esty for 700$. It's a much higher quality, as I'm just a college student beginner seamstress, and these people seem to be a company with access to things I can only imagine haha. Anyway, here's what 700$ gets you.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/98283762/adult-beauty-and-the-beast-yellow-gown
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012 01:11:29 AM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012 01:39:10 AM »

first off, the dress looks amazing

second- go walk into any spirit halloween store and look at how much they charge for their costumes that are horribly made out of crappy material. people have no problem spending a ton of money on halloween costumes. you see how much people on etsy are selling their work for so its not completely rediculous, that other one may have been higher quality than the one you're making cuz like you said they have some kinda magic sewing elfs working for them but your dress is at least half as good as that one (actually i'd say more than half as good) so it should be worth at least half as much

3rd- if she didn't give you a price to begin with then i say start high and you can negotiate to something lower if she doesn't want to pay that much, but at least if you start high you'll still end up at your desired price after negotiations. if she thinks its not worth that much (some people think that you can get an endless supply of fabric for $5 and you can sew an entire dress in about an hour or sewing isnt real work or something like that...i've been burnt like that before) just have some examples from etsy or other sites ready to show her that your price is reasonable in comparison. and from what i've heard disney pays fairly descent wages, at least in comparison to similar jobs at other places so don't let her guilt you with that as an excuse cuz if she couldnt afford it she shouldnt have comissioned you to make her a dress.

personally i'd start at $300-$350 and then if she objects you can slowly negotiate down to the $200-$250 range.

hope this helps, let me know how it turns out (both the finished dress and the sale). good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012 01:59:09 AM »

first off, the dress looks amazing

second- go walk into any spirit halloween store and look at how much they charge for their costumes that are horribly made out of crappy material. people have no problem spending a ton of money on halloween costumes. you see how much people on etsy are selling their work for so its not completely rediculous, that other one may have been higher quality than the one you're making cuz like you said they have some kinda magic sewing elfs working for them but your dress is at least half as good as that one (actually i'd say more than half as good) so it should be worth at least half as much

3rd- if she didn't give you a price to begin with then i say start high and you can negotiate to something lower if she doesn't want to pay that much, but at least if you start high you'll still end up at your desired price after negotiations. if she thinks its not worth that much (some people think that you can get an endless supply of fabric for $5 and you can sew an entire dress in about an hour or sewing isnt real work or something like that...i've been burnt like that before) just have some examples from etsy or other sites ready to show her that your price is reasonable in comparison. and from what i've heard disney pays fairly descent wages, at least in comparison to similar jobs at other places so don't let her guilt you with that as an excuse cuz if she couldnt afford it she shouldnt have comissioned you to make her a dress.

personally i'd start at $300-$350 and then if she objects you can slowly negotiate down to the $200-$250 range.

hope this helps, let me know how it turns out (both the finished dress and the sale). good luck!

Wow thank you so much for all the encouragement! I really appreciate it! (Side note I thought it was funny you brought up Spirit Halloween stores, because one of my 3 jobs is actually at a Spirit Halloween store, just so I can get the discounts!!) They really do charge way too much for their costumes in regards to their quality. They're  cute and all, but so not worth it.

I am definitely going to try to negotiate with her! I just get so uncomfortable asking for money, I feel like if I ask for too much I come off as arrogant or greedy, and i just want to be a nice person. But i know business has almost nothing to do with being a nice person, at least the money side of business. The girl seems pretty reasonable and easy going, so I really don't think i'll have too much trouble getting a good price from her. I'm really glad to hear you think I could get 300$ for it, because that is something I would have never imagined! Thank you!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LouiesLoops

louiesloops.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012 02:07:09 AM »

Jill..... you are amazing... just.. wow. this is absolutely beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012 02:26:45 AM »

Thanks Louis! I'm glad you like it!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

p.kok
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012 02:32:48 AM »

The dress is gorgeous! I think you are entitled to ask for at least 350$. Sewing such a dress is almost like sewing a wedding dress and think about how much those cost.... It think you might be hesitant about the price because "it's just a costume" (I imagine I would be), but, well, it's not:) It's actually a gown fit for a princess:)
And I understand that you want to be a nice person and not charge much, but also think about all the professional people out there. If there are people willing to make beautiful things for almost no profit at all, it makes them look greedy and then they have a hard time finding clients (I have worked in advertising and it's the same problem there...). It's obvious you can't charge as much as they do (yet), since you don't have all of the skills or experiences, but charging half as much is more then fine. (in my opinion).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012 02:34:42 AM »

Wow thank you so much for all the encouragement! I really appreciate it! (Side note I thought it was funny you brought up Spirit Halloween stores, because one of my 3 jobs is actually at a Spirit Halloween store, just so I can get the discounts!!) They really do charge way too much for their costumes in regards to their quality. They're  cute and all, but so not worth it.

I am definitely going to try to negotiate with her! I just get so uncomfortable asking for money, I feel like if I ask for too much I come off as arrogant or greedy, and i just want to be a nice person. But i know business has almost nothing to do with being a nice person, at least the money side of business. The girl seems pretty reasonable and easy going, so I really don't think i'll have too much trouble getting a good price from her. I'm really glad to hear you think I could get 300$ for it, because that is something I would have never imagined! Thank you!  Cheesy

that is funny, every year i apply at Spirit cuz i want a discount (for decorations mostly) and cuz i'd love to work at a place where you're actually allowed to dress up, but i have yet to actually be hired.

i know how you feel with the money thing though, i used to be like that and still kind of am but last year i got really screwed over on some stuff and ended up paying a few hundred dollars out of my own money and never getting paid for supplies or time so since then i've been working on being more confident about stuff like that. plus it helps when you're looking around on etsy and you're like "really? someone paid that much for that? the one i made was way better" i dont mean that in a way to put anyone down, it just puts things in perspective that you don't need to be some master artist to get paid good for what you make

another way to think of it with a dress like that is don't think of it as just a costume but as a formal dress, which is really what it is, and you know how much girls pay for prom and bridesmaid dresses, so asking a few hundred for a full length formal dress isn't unreasonable at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012 02:35:56 AM »

The dress is gorgeous! I think you are entitled to ask for at least 350$. Sewing such a dress is almost like sewing a wedding dress and think about how much those cost.... It think you might be hesitant about the price because "it's just a costume" (I imagine I would be), but, well, it's not:) It's actually a gown fit for a princess:)
And I understand that you want to be a nice person and not charge much, but also think about all the professional people out there. If there are people willing to make beautiful things for almost no profit at all, it makes them look greedy and then they have a hard time finding clients (I have worked in advertising and it's the same problem there...). It's obvious you can't charge as much as they do (yet), since you don't have all of the skills or experiences, but charging half as much is more then fine. (in my opinion).  

haha, didn't read that before i hit post, totally pretty much just said the exact same thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012 03:46:29 AM »

that is funny, every year i apply at Spirit cuz i want a discount (for decorations mostly) and cuz i'd love to work at a place where you're actually allowed to dress up, but i have yet to actually be hired.

i know how you feel with the money thing though, i used to be like that and still kind of am but last year i got really screwed over on some stuff and ended up paying a few hundred dollars out of my own money and never getting paid for supplies or time so since then i've been working on being more confident about stuff like that. plus it helps when you're looking around on etsy and you're like "really? someone paid that much for that? the one i made was way better" i dont mean that in a way to put anyone down, it just puts things in perspective that you don't need to be some master artist to get paid good for what you make

another way to think of it with a dress like that is don't think of it as just a costume but as a formal dress, which is really what it is, and you know how much girls pay for prom and bridesmaid dresses, so asking a few hundred for a full length formal dress isn't unreasonable at all.

Oh I hate to hear that someone gypped you out of what you deserved! What was the project? I always find looking at projects on etsy will sometimes be the opposite of helpful. Usually I'll find projects I would like to make, that Neverbugcreations has already made, and it looks a million times better than anything I could ever make, and become unmotivated. But sometimes it does help, sometimes I find things that are similar to something I would like to make, but nothing has been made yet (or at least I couldn't find it), so I get inspired to do it!

I never really thought of belles dress as more than a costume, I guess it's just so obviously belle, that she coudln't wear it anywhere without it looking like a costume, or like she's trying to dress up as a princess. But when I think of the fact that I used pretty nice fabrics, put a lot of effort into it, and it looks as good as it does, I guess I could be charging quite a bit for it as if it were a wedding dress, or formal prom dress. I think my prom dress was like 2 or 3 hundred dollars or something. Funny story about my prom dress, this is me in my prom dress. Not even kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dU0W4moC70

Thanks to that dress I now have a great petticoat! Which I use for all my princess dresses, it's the petticoat in the picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012 12:03:13 AM »

Omg that's you? I totally saw that episode of tosh too, and always thought that's the kind of think i'd do lol.

I know what you mean about getting intimidated by looking around on etsy sometimes, i get that too. But I guess i usually just make something first then go on there to get an idea for pricing of things that are similar and that's usually when i start realizing that i should be charging way more for stuff.

The project i never got paid for was basicly all the accesories for a wedding. I made the flower girl dress and basket, decorated the vases, did up the favors, made a skirt for the dog, her garters, made faux petticoats for the bridesmade dresses as well as alter and embelish them and the wedding dress, did a 50 point bustle on the wedding dress, and a personalized guest book. there was probably other stuff too that i cant think of right now lol
we weren't good friends but she wanted me to be a bridesmaid so i was trying to be nice cuz obviously she thought we were better friends than i did so i told her supplies plus a new sewing machine (the one i wanted was around $400) and that she would help me with everything. and then she never helped with anything and just added onto the list of things i needed to do, including simple things like calling the rental place for prices and stuffing envelopes for invitations, and she made a huge deal to everyone how she "hired" me to do all this stuff. then before the wedding i gave her a bill with both her price and what i would charge other people and she flipped out and claimed that she didnt have that money and she thought i was doing this for free as a gift (although she still got mad that i didnt' give her a cash gift as well) and all that which was crap cuz her parents were paying for the entire wedding and because of me she was way under budget. but whatever, now i have a bunch of wedding planning experience and experience making wedding stuff that i'm sure will come in handy in future buisness endevors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Beautiful Holiday Arrangement
DIY Wintry Botanical Framed Mirror
Martha Stewart Makes a Beautiful Menorah
Festive Wrapping-Paper Coasters
Holiday Glittered Hurricanes
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...