A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Princess Belle!  (Read 7449 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillrbassett
« on: October 04, 2012 01:00:03 AM »

Hello!
Update:
We agreed on 250$ for the dress. I uploaded more pictures of the finished dress, and her in the dress here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=412503.msg4874207#msg4874207

So I've been commissioned to make Princess Belle's dress, from Beauty and the Beast for a friend of a coworker for halloween. She would like the dress by the third week of October, so I don't have much time to finish. It's coming together very well and I am very surprised with myself! The dress is still unfinished, but here is a picture:

The bodice and skirt are still not attached. I need to make the skirt lining, attach top and bottom, add a zipper, and it'll be finished. This picture was taken before I had finished hemming the gold ribbon at the bottom which is why it looks a bit wonky.

I know i'll be able to finish it in time, but I wanted to get some craftsters opinions about selling it. The materials cost about 60-70$ total. The dress will be fully lined with an invisible zipper and light weight for the size of the dress. The dress is being sold without the petticoat it's pictured in, the buyer is purchasing that separately from someone else on etsy I think.
With the project still being unfinished I've so far put in about 30 hours. I'm thinking, if I were to be paid only 8$/hr at any regular job, for 30 hrs I'd be paid about 240$ (forgetting about tax). So i'm thinking of charging 200 $ to possibly 250? I'll probably settle closer to 200 or 230$. Does that sound reasonable? Am I asking too much? This is the first time i'm making anything for money. Usually I just make projects for myself or simple dresses to barter with. So I honestly don't know how to charge.

I asked the buyer if she had a spending limit but she didn't really seem to care about price. When we started this project I told her the price will depend on how well the project turns out. If it were to suck, i'd have her only cover materials. If it were to be decent we could discuss what she thinks is fair. So far this dress has exceeded my expectations, so I don't know what to do. Right now she's working at disneyland in food service I think. So I know she has an income at least.

What do you craftsters think? Is 200 or more too much? Huh

C&C welcome!  Smiley

P.S.
I found this dress on esty for 700$. It's a much higher quality, as I'm just a college student beginner seamstress, and these people seem to be a company with access to things I can only imagine haha. Anyway, here's what 700$ gets you.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/98283762/adult-beauty-and-the-beast-yellow-gown
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012 01:11:29 AM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
ivoryh1632
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012 01:39:10 AM »

first off, the dress looks amazing

second- go walk into any spirit halloween store and look at how much they charge for their costumes that are horribly made out of crappy material. people have no problem spending a ton of money on halloween costumes. you see how much people on etsy are selling their work for so its not completely rediculous, that other one may have been higher quality than the one you're making cuz like you said they have some kinda magic sewing elfs working for them but your dress is at least half as good as that one (actually i'd say more than half as good) so it should be worth at least half as much

3rd- if she didn't give you a price to begin with then i say start high and you can negotiate to something lower if she doesn't want to pay that much, but at least if you start high you'll still end up at your desired price after negotiations. if she thinks its not worth that much (some people think that you can get an endless supply of fabric for $5 and you can sew an entire dress in about an hour or sewing isnt real work or something like that...i've been burnt like that before) just have some examples from etsy or other sites ready to show her that your price is reasonable in comparison. and from what i've heard disney pays fairly descent wages, at least in comparison to similar jobs at other places so don't let her guilt you with that as an excuse cuz if she couldnt afford it she shouldnt have comissioned you to make her a dress.

personally i'd start at $300-$350 and then if she objects you can slowly negotiate down to the $200-$250 range.

hope this helps, let me know how it turns out (both the finished dress and the sale). good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012 01:59:09 AM »

first off, the dress looks amazing

second- go walk into any spirit halloween store and look at how much they charge for their costumes that are horribly made out of crappy material. people have no problem spending a ton of money on halloween costumes. you see how much people on etsy are selling their work for so its not completely rediculous, that other one may have been higher quality than the one you're making cuz like you said they have some kinda magic sewing elfs working for them but your dress is at least half as good as that one (actually i'd say more than half as good) so it should be worth at least half as much

3rd- if she didn't give you a price to begin with then i say start high and you can negotiate to something lower if she doesn't want to pay that much, but at least if you start high you'll still end up at your desired price after negotiations. if she thinks its not worth that much (some people think that you can get an endless supply of fabric for $5 and you can sew an entire dress in about an hour or sewing isnt real work or something like that...i've been burnt like that before) just have some examples from etsy or other sites ready to show her that your price is reasonable in comparison. and from what i've heard disney pays fairly descent wages, at least in comparison to similar jobs at other places so don't let her guilt you with that as an excuse cuz if she couldnt afford it she shouldnt have comissioned you to make her a dress.

personally i'd start at $300-$350 and then if she objects you can slowly negotiate down to the $200-$250 range.

hope this helps, let me know how it turns out (both the finished dress and the sale). good luck!

Wow thank you so much for all the encouragement! I really appreciate it! (Side note I thought it was funny you brought up Spirit Halloween stores, because one of my 3 jobs is actually at a Spirit Halloween store, just so I can get the discounts!!) They really do charge way too much for their costumes in regards to their quality. They're  cute and all, but so not worth it.

I am definitely going to try to negotiate with her! I just get so uncomfortable asking for money, I feel like if I ask for too much I come off as arrogant or greedy, and i just want to be a nice person. But i know business has almost nothing to do with being a nice person, at least the money side of business. The girl seems pretty reasonable and easy going, so I really don't think i'll have too much trouble getting a good price from her. I'm really glad to hear you think I could get 300$ for it, because that is something I would have never imagined! Thank you!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LouiesLoops

louiesloops.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012 02:07:09 AM »

Jill..... you are amazing... just.. wow. this is absolutely beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012 02:26:45 AM »

Thanks Louis! I'm glad you like it!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

p.kok
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012 02:32:48 AM »

The dress is gorgeous! I think you are entitled to ask for at least 350$. Sewing such a dress is almost like sewing a wedding dress and think about how much those cost.... It think you might be hesitant about the price because "it's just a costume" (I imagine I would be), but, well, it's not:) It's actually a gown fit for a princess:)
And I understand that you want to be a nice person and not charge much, but also think about all the professional people out there. If there are people willing to make beautiful things for almost no profit at all, it makes them look greedy and then they have a hard time finding clients (I have worked in advertising and it's the same problem there...). It's obvious you can't charge as much as they do (yet), since you don't have all of the skills or experiences, but charging half as much is more then fine. (in my opinion).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012 02:34:42 AM »

Wow thank you so much for all the encouragement! I really appreciate it! (Side note I thought it was funny you brought up Spirit Halloween stores, because one of my 3 jobs is actually at a Spirit Halloween store, just so I can get the discounts!!) They really do charge way too much for their costumes in regards to their quality. They're  cute and all, but so not worth it.

I am definitely going to try to negotiate with her! I just get so uncomfortable asking for money, I feel like if I ask for too much I come off as arrogant or greedy, and i just want to be a nice person. But i know business has almost nothing to do with being a nice person, at least the money side of business. The girl seems pretty reasonable and easy going, so I really don't think i'll have too much trouble getting a good price from her. I'm really glad to hear you think I could get 300$ for it, because that is something I would have never imagined! Thank you!  Cheesy

that is funny, every year i apply at Spirit cuz i want a discount (for decorations mostly) and cuz i'd love to work at a place where you're actually allowed to dress up, but i have yet to actually be hired.

i know how you feel with the money thing though, i used to be like that and still kind of am but last year i got really screwed over on some stuff and ended up paying a few hundred dollars out of my own money and never getting paid for supplies or time so since then i've been working on being more confident about stuff like that. plus it helps when you're looking around on etsy and you're like "really? someone paid that much for that? the one i made was way better" i dont mean that in a way to put anyone down, it just puts things in perspective that you don't need to be some master artist to get paid good for what you make

another way to think of it with a dress like that is don't think of it as just a costume but as a formal dress, which is really what it is, and you know how much girls pay for prom and bridesmaid dresses, so asking a few hundred for a full length formal dress isn't unreasonable at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012 02:35:56 AM »

The dress is gorgeous! I think you are entitled to ask for at least 350$. Sewing such a dress is almost like sewing a wedding dress and think about how much those cost.... It think you might be hesitant about the price because "it's just a costume" (I imagine I would be), but, well, it's not:) It's actually a gown fit for a princess:)
And I understand that you want to be a nice person and not charge much, but also think about all the professional people out there. If there are people willing to make beautiful things for almost no profit at all, it makes them look greedy and then they have a hard time finding clients (I have worked in advertising and it's the same problem there...). It's obvious you can't charge as much as they do (yet), since you don't have all of the skills or experiences, but charging half as much is more then fine. (in my opinion).  

haha, didn't read that before i hit post, totally pretty much just said the exact same thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012 03:46:29 AM »

that is funny, every year i apply at Spirit cuz i want a discount (for decorations mostly) and cuz i'd love to work at a place where you're actually allowed to dress up, but i have yet to actually be hired.

i know how you feel with the money thing though, i used to be like that and still kind of am but last year i got really screwed over on some stuff and ended up paying a few hundred dollars out of my own money and never getting paid for supplies or time so since then i've been working on being more confident about stuff like that. plus it helps when you're looking around on etsy and you're like "really? someone paid that much for that? the one i made was way better" i dont mean that in a way to put anyone down, it just puts things in perspective that you don't need to be some master artist to get paid good for what you make

another way to think of it with a dress like that is don't think of it as just a costume but as a formal dress, which is really what it is, and you know how much girls pay for prom and bridesmaid dresses, so asking a few hundred for a full length formal dress isn't unreasonable at all.

Oh I hate to hear that someone gypped you out of what you deserved! What was the project? I always find looking at projects on etsy will sometimes be the opposite of helpful. Usually I'll find projects I would like to make, that Neverbugcreations has already made, and it looks a million times better than anything I could ever make, and become unmotivated. But sometimes it does help, sometimes I find things that are similar to something I would like to make, but nothing has been made yet (or at least I couldn't find it), so I get inspired to do it!

I never really thought of belles dress as more than a costume, I guess it's just so obviously belle, that she coudln't wear it anywhere without it looking like a costume, or like she's trying to dress up as a princess. But when I think of the fact that I used pretty nice fabrics, put a lot of effort into it, and it looks as good as it does, I guess I could be charging quite a bit for it as if it were a wedding dress, or formal prom dress. I think my prom dress was like 2 or 3 hundred dollars or something. Funny story about my prom dress, this is me in my prom dress. Not even kidding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dU0W4moC70

Thanks to that dress I now have a great petticoat! Which I use for all my princess dresses, it's the petticoat in the picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012 12:03:13 AM »

Omg that's you? I totally saw that episode of tosh too, and always thought that's the kind of think i'd do lol.

I know what you mean about getting intimidated by looking around on etsy sometimes, i get that too. But I guess i usually just make something first then go on there to get an idea for pricing of things that are similar and that's usually when i start realizing that i should be charging way more for stuff.

The project i never got paid for was basicly all the accesories for a wedding. I made the flower girl dress and basket, decorated the vases, did up the favors, made a skirt for the dog, her garters, made faux petticoats for the bridesmade dresses as well as alter and embelish them and the wedding dress, did a 50 point bustle on the wedding dress, and a personalized guest book. there was probably other stuff too that i cant think of right now lol
we weren't good friends but she wanted me to be a bridesmaid so i was trying to be nice cuz obviously she thought we were better friends than i did so i told her supplies plus a new sewing machine (the one i wanted was around $400) and that she would help me with everything. and then she never helped with anything and just added onto the list of things i needed to do, including simple things like calling the rental place for prices and stuffing envelopes for invitations, and she made a huge deal to everyone how she "hired" me to do all this stuff. then before the wedding i gave her a bill with both her price and what i would charge other people and she flipped out and claimed that she didnt have that money and she thought i was doing this for free as a gift (although she still got mad that i didnt' give her a cash gift as well) and all that which was crap cuz her parents were paying for the entire wedding and because of me she was way under budget. but whatever, now i have a bunch of wedding planning experience and experience making wedding stuff that i'm sure will come in handy in future buisness endevors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012 11:44:56 AM »

Oh my god that sounds so awful!!! I can't even imagine doing all that work and not getting anything for it! I wonder if she maybe invited into the bridal party as some kind of form of bartering. Like, you're in my party so you HAVE to do these things. Cause My friend got married and I made the ring pillow and flower basket and did a bunch of other small things because thats like the job of a braidsmaid/maid of honor. So I wonder if she added on more and more stuff once you were in the party? It's so weird that she specifically brought up that you were hired, meaning being paid for this, and then didn't pay you! What a B! Do you ever talk to her anymore?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012 11:30:33 PM »

Yeah I wonder if that was her plan too, like at first I was all "oh i can help you look for ideas, and i know some websites where you can get cheap supplies and stuff" and then the only reason i agreed to do more than that was cuz she ssaid she was gonna pay me (although according to her she was joking and i should have known that), but it was funny cuz the maid of honor and the other brides maids wanted to help with stuff and she wouldnt let them and told them i was doing everything, i even found out the maid of honor gave her money to give me cuz i did a bunch of alterations on her dress and i never saw that money either. But what ended up happening was I gave her the bill a week before the wedding and she flipped out and came to my house when she knew i wasn't there and my mom let her in and showed her where i had all the stuff i was making (cuz she didn't know any better) and so she took it all so i couldnt hold it hostage for the money. and then we didn't talk but my sister who was also in the wedding siad i was still supposed to be in the wedding so i went and pretended to be nice and everything and did a ton of work at the wedding and then i pretty much haven't talked to her sense. she went and had all her friends basicly cyber bully me on facebook for a while about the whole thing and then she was like stalking me too i'd get crazy texts from her like "i saw your car at the doctor's office why didn't you wait and talk to me i'm trying to be reasonable but you're acting rediculous" so i just blocked her number and like 6 months after the wedding she gave my mom a $200 check to give me and i was thinking of doing a fake nice thing but i figured fuck it i dont need her she was a horrible friend and jokes on her cuz now she's got my face in all her wedding pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012 08:49:26 AM »

You should never start a project for someone without discussing their budget and agreeing on a price and schedule of payment. You say she doesn't seem to care about the price, but her idea of uncaring may be limited to $75 - how do you know? Now you're going to have a hard-feelings thing if the price you think you deserve isn't paid. It's fine and well to say you don't like talking about money, but you also have another responsibility to your customer - they are counting on you now to deliver something they really want by a certain time. If your price is too high (and really, what do they know about how much time/materials cost?), they are not just disappointed, but are also angry and put upon to make other plans. It's not just you who can get burned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012 06:45:37 PM »

You should never start a project for someone without discussing their budget and agreeing on a price and schedule of payment. You say she doesn't seem to care about the price, but her idea of uncaring may be limited to $75 - how do you know? Now you're going to have a hard-feelings thing if the price you think you deserve isn't paid. It's fine and well to say you don't like talking about money, but you also have another responsibility to your customer - they are counting on you now to deliver something they really want by a certain time. If your price is too high (and really, what do they know about how much time/materials cost?), they are not just disappointed, but are also angry and put upon to make other plans. It's not just you who can get burned.

You're right, those are some good points. I'll definitely be sure to set a price before hand next time I'm hired for something like this, especially now that I know I can do this. Since she works at disney she had offered me a pass, i wasn't sure if it was in addition to paying me or instead of paying me, but I already have a pass so I said no. My birthday is coming up though so I was thinking if 300 is too much for her, maybe she could give me what she and I think is reasonable, and also get me a pass for a friend to come to disneyland with me. So maybe she's only able to give me 150 or so and also a disneyland pass which itself is a few hundred. I think that'd be fair. Next time I am for sure setting prices first. I've learned my lesson.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012 08:05:14 PM »

This is an awesome dress.  I think you've got some very sound advice, especially from CraftyChef.  I hope that everything works out for you and you get what the dress is worth. (I think $250 is VERY reasonable.)

I made a hand-made dress to a wedding this weekend and somebody said, "Wow! You made that!  I would totally pay you $50 for that."  Fifty dollars  Huh Come on.  Many people don't realize how much effort does into making something.

If she can't afford to compensate you properly, perhaps you can rent her the dress for this Halloween then you can attempt to sell it online or keep it yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
ivoryh1632
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012 11:18:51 PM »

This is an awesome dress.  I think you've got some very sound advice, especially from CraftyChef.  I hope that everything works out for you and you get what the dress is worth. (I think $250 is VERY reasonable.)

I made a hand-made dress to a wedding this weekend and somebody said, "Wow! You made that!  I would totally pay you $50 for that."  Fifty dollars  Huh Come on.  Many people don't realize how much effort does into making something.

If she can't afford to compensate you properly, perhaps you can rent her the dress for this Halloween then you can attempt to sell it online or keep it yourself.

ugh, the fabric alone probably cost almost $50, i dont get people sometimes. i like your idea for the halloween rental of the dress though.

jillrbassett- if she is going to give you a pass to disney as part of the payment, make sure that its a year pass like you were thinking and not just a day pass. disney may have changed their employee policies in the past few years, but the last time i knew someone that worked at disneyland, they could sign people in for the day for free but if they were getting a year pass for someone they still had to pay full price or maybe a slight discount.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thesillyseemstress
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012 02:14:27 AM »

that dress is amazing.. I think 300 is VERY reasonable.. so start high and negotiate to a price you can live with.
You were such a trooper on Tosh.O ..  that took balls to go on TV Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012 07:06:36 AM »

I just wanted to wish you luck with your negotiations - I know your situation well, it is so difficult to set a price on ones craftwork/artwork. I can't give you any advice on the price, coming from another country, but I think it is a good idea to look at similar dresses on etsy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012 10:14:28 AM »

50?! That's ridiculous. People are always impressed when they find out you've made something but they never think about how it's made and how long it takes.

Also, I never even thought of renting!! That's a great idea. Because I feel like I would like to put this on etsy, i could probably get more what it's worth on etsy than from her, and she'd probably never wear it more than once. That would be amazing! I'll have to see if she would go for that. Thank you so much for that suggestion!!

Any tips on how much to charge for renting and how to go about it?

Ivoryh- I didn't even think about the day pass thing. But now that I do, another friend of mine worked for them last year, i know he could get a certain number of people in free for the day, but he never told me about year passes. A year pass would be better compensation but I would really only need the day pass I guess. I'll see what she can do, or if she would just want to rent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012 01:23:11 PM »

If I were renting it, I'd probably charge about $75.  Depending on how well you know the girl you're making this dress for, you might want to get a credit card number or a photocopy of her ID or something... that way she doesn't run off with your dress.  Make sure you get her to sign a simple contract that says the date she has to return it by, and that she's responsible for any damages to the dress.  (That is, if its something you can repair, she has to pay you for the hours it will take to repair it, and if the dress is damaged beyond repair then she's obligated to buy it for a set price.)

*** and later***
Not sure if you meant "how to go about it" like how to bring up the subject of rental with her.  So, if that's what you meant, I would say something like:
I've really enjoyed creating this dress, and I've put countless hours into really making sure it is a quality item.  As a result of my time and cost of materials, the price to buy this dress is going to be $xxx.  I understand this might be more costly that you were expecting. Since we didn't really discuss a budget ahead of time, and I would still love for you to wear the dress this Halloween, I can offer it to you on a rental-basis for a $xx. Let me know whether a purchase or a rental works better for your budget.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012 04:00:36 PM by Crafty.Canadian » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan 82 on Facebook
I_See_Nargles
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012 02:10:01 PM »

That's amazing! You're not being unreasonable with the price at all and I'm sure your coworkers friend will adore it!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship, use the stencil. Do it!
~The Guild
jillrbassett
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012 08:58:47 PM »

If I were renting it, I'd probably charge about $75.  Depending on how well you know the girl you're making this dress for, you might want to get a credit card number or a photocopy of her ID or something... that way she doesn't run off with your dress.  Make sure you get her to sign a simple contract that says the date she has to return it by, and that she's responsible for any damages to the dress.  (That is, if its something you can repair, she has to pay you for the hours it will take to repair it, and if the dress is damaged beyond repair then she's obligated to buy it for a set price.)

*** and later***
Not sure if you meant "how to go about it" like how to bring up the subject of rental with her.  So, if that's what you meant, I would say something like:
I've really enjoyed creating this dress, and I've put countless hours into really making sure it is a quality item.  As a result of my time and cost of materials, the price to buy this dress is going to be $xxx.  I understand this might be more costly that you were expecting. Since we didn't really discuss a budget ahead of time, and I would still love for you to wear the dress this Halloween, I can offer it to you on a rental-basis for a $xx. Let me know whether a purchase or a rental works better for your budget.

wow I feel like such a noob to all this. I really appreciate you're help/advice crafty.canadian! I probably would have just asked her to return and hoped that she would. I don't think I would have thought about drawing up a contract, or what to do if she ripped it or something. I'm so thankful for craftster! haha
I actually did mean how to bring it up, and I like the way you suggested doing it. I'll give that a shot and let you guys know what she says.

UPDATE: I asked her about renting and she says she still wants to buy it. But she wants to do a payment plan. Give me a "huge chunk" of it when I give it to her, and then pay me each week or so. I'm totally open to a payment plan, how do I set rules for the payment plan? I feel like this is something I should be able to figure out, but I just don't want to forget anything. Obviously we'd settle on how much i get when i give her the dress, and work out whatever amount she would be able to afford each week or however often she's able to. I'm guessing I should get some kind of credit card information, but what would I do with that? I don't really have a way of charging her, like I don't have one of those machines or something. I dont' know. I have no idea what i'm doing.

And thank you Nargles!!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012 09:26:13 PM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012 10:44:10 PM »

well you could always use paypal for credit card stuff, although i'm not sure if you can charge someone else's card on there or set up an automatic payment on there. butif nothing else you can at least send invoices every week via paypal

but even if you can't find a way to charge her card if she doesnt pay, just make sure you get her credit card info (make sure you get the experation date, ccv, and billing address too) and she doesn't have to know that you don't have a way of charging her if she doesn't pay, but she does know that you have enough information to use her card for whatever you want if she doesn't pay....ok i know putting it that way sounds a little blackmail-ey,  but that's basicly what companies do when they get your credit card infor or ss# as a security deposit

but i've never done anything like before so that's just my best guess

and make sure you write up a payment plan/contract. you can even leave in blanks for the amounts if you aren't going to know them until you meet with her. so something like

This document serves to confirm that (her name) is entering into a payment plan with (your name) for payment of belle halloween dress. the total cost due is $xxx. The plan is detailed below:
down payment__($xxx)_________ paid on __(date)_______

payment #1 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #2 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #3 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

Failure to meet any of the above mentioned deadlines will revoke your current payment plan and result in use of your credit card information for compensatory payments/purchases.

I hereby agree to the above conditions.
(her name & signature) (date), (your name and signature) (date)

oh, and i'm basing that on a letter i just got from my old landlord cuz i still owe them a month's rent and they're letting me do a payment plan. but having the part about using her credit card for compensatory purchases would mean shes agreeing to you using her card info to make whatever purchases you see fit  in the amount that she owes you
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012 10:48:51 PM by ivoryh1632 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012 05:49:05 AM »

UPDATE: I asked her about renting and she says she still wants to buy it. But she wants to do a payment plan. Give me a "huge chunk" of it when I give it to her, and then pay me each week or so. I'm totally open to a payment plan, how do I set rules for the payment plan?

Well congratulations on selling your dress!  I'm thrilled that it worked out for you!

I think that ivoryh1632 has given you some good advice on a payment contract.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan 82 on Facebook
jillrbassett
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012 09:22:50 AM »

well you could always use paypal for credit card stuff, although i'm not sure if you can charge someone else's card on there or set up an automatic payment on there. butif nothing else you can at least send invoices every week via paypal

but even if you can't find a way to charge her card if she doesnt pay, just make sure you get her credit card info (make sure you get the experation date, ccv, and billing address too) and she doesn't have to know that you don't have a way of charging her if she doesn't pay, but she does know that you have enough information to use her card for whatever you want if she doesn't pay....ok i know putting it that way sounds a little blackmail-ey,  but that's basicly what companies do when they get your credit card infor or ss# as a security deposit

but i've never done anything like before so that's just my best guess

and make sure you write up a payment plan/contract. you can even leave in blanks for the amounts if you aren't going to know them until you meet with her. so something like

This document serves to confirm that (her name) is entering into a payment plan with (your name) for payment of belle halloween dress. the total cost due is $xxx. The plan is detailed below:
down payment__($xxx)_________ paid on __(date)_______

payment #1 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #2 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

payment #3 _____($xx)______ Due on: (date)

Failure to meet any of the above mentioned deadlines will revoke your current payment plan and result in use of your credit card information for compensatory payments/purchases.

I hereby agree to the above conditions.
(her name & signature) (date), (your name and signature) (date)

oh, and i'm basing that on a letter i just got from my old landlord cuz i still owe them a month's rent and they're letting me do a payment plan. but having the part about using her credit card for compensatory purchases would mean shes agreeing to you using her card info to make whatever purchases you see fit  in the amount that she owes you

haha I always thought the whole getting someones credit card info was a little blackmail-y but that was exactly why I figured I should get it. Thank you so much for the payment plan contract layout idea! I'll definitely be using that! I really appreciate it ivoryh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012 12:15:07 AM »

glad i could help, my friends always say i'm the lawyer of the group so i'm glad my services could be of use lol.

congrats on selling the dress, hope everything goes smoothly with the payment and all, let us know how it all turns out in the end
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012 02:33:41 AM »

Congratulations on selling your dress. You have done a great work, and it sounds like you both are satisfied!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012 03:56:09 AM »

*** and later***
Not sure if you meant "how to go about it" like how to bring up the subject of rental with her.  So, if that's what you meant, I would say something like:
I've really enjoyed creating this dress, and I've put countless hours into really making sure it is a quality item.  As a result of my time and cost of materials, the price to buy this dress is going to be $xxx.  I understand this might be more costly that you were expecting. Since we didn't really discuss a budget ahead of time, and I would still love for you to wear the dress this Halloween, I can offer it to you on a rental-basis for a $xx. Let me know whether a purchase or a rental works better for your budget.

I wouldn't offer the rental until you've thoroughly exhausted purchase negotiations. Giving her an "out" too early I think guarantees she will take the rental price. How many times can you wear a dress like that? A used dress, nifty though it might be, is worth less than brand new, so the resale value is already low.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunnyDawn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012 06:50:18 AM »

Gorgeous work!  Someone is going to feel like a real princess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn Milburn
St. Louis, MO
sunnydawne@gmail.com
Ahma
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012 08:46:52 AM »

that is an amazing dress, good for you! you must be so proud to have sold it for a fair amount to you too (thats always the challenge)

paypal does actually have a 'subscription' type payment set up where, i believe, you can pick a start date, end date, and have it auto bill to come through the paypal. if that works for both of you its probably a very simple way to do it.

cheers! really really beautiful dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah_1962Dinky
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012 11:02:24 AM »

Your dress is great looking!!
Love it!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012 08:04:13 PM »

So what happened? How'd the dress turn out and how did the sale go?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012 10:35:06 PM »

So what happened? How'd the dress turn out and how did the sale go?

It went great!! It fit her BEAUTIFULLY! I had a hard time getting the zipper past the middle and I was so afraid it wasn't going to fit, but it did!! She had forgotten her debit card at her house (which was like an hour away) and didn't realize until she had gotten to my house. So she couldn't get the money out of the bank. I told her that she could take it anyway and just pay me later. For my birthday (a few weeks after halloween) my boyfriend and I went to Disneyland and since she works there we were able to meet up and she gave me all 250$ in cash. It was great! And she loved it! She said she might even need me to make her more dresses in the future. I was so happy!

Thank you for asking!  Also I posted a link to pictures of the finished dress and stuff on the first page of this thread if you wanted to see it. I'm so proud of it
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012 10:37:06 PM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012 01:10:31 AM »

i'm so happy it all worked out for you! and the final dress looks amazing, you did such a great job. belle's the only one i've been too scared to try too, all that teired poufyness or whatever its called, i dont even know where i'd start on that. but yours came out great. if making at wasn't too much of a nightmare you should totally put it up on etsy for custom orders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012 11:09:33 PM »

i'm so happy it all worked out for you! and the final dress looks amazing, you did such a great job. belle's the only one i've been too scared to try too, all that teired poufyness or whatever its called, i dont even know where i'd start on that. but yours came out great. if making at wasn't too much of a nightmare you should totally put it up on etsy for custom orders.
aw thanks! I've been thinking about putting it on etsy for custom orders. It actually wasn't that difficult to make, it's just VERY time consuming, so I was thinking about waiting until after i'm out of school to do it, so i have more time to make them. Thanks for all your help/advice during all this! It's a bit expensive and takes a while to make, but you should totally give it a try. All the poufy bits I just basted and gathered by hand, so it wasn't too difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Twisted Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make Birthday Favor Packets
How to Make Halloween Decorations
How to Make Gumball Costume For Halloween
How to Silk Dye Eggs For Easter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...