A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone have a pattern that is similar to this purse?  (Read 1006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jennickell
« on: June 30, 2005 09:08:22 AM »

I saw this one at old navy,looks like it would be pretty easy to do, but I seem to have trouble crocheting in rounds. Or just tell me this, when doing rounds, when do you increase, one SC at the end of each row an join to the first SC, or do you do 2 SC in each SC around?
Any suggestions or patterns?

my idea was to make two circles and then  for the handles make a long strip that would attach to the pieces along the bottom and up the sides then leave open at the top for opening and handles, did that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artxinxlies

don't.fall.in.love.with.everyone.you.see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005 09:11:53 AM »

i found this tut VERY helpful! http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburton/crochrnd.html

hope it helps you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crosette
Ultimate Procrastinator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005 05:42:21 AM »

Maybe you could make this bag but without the petals.  It's not completely round...more like an octagon...but its pretty close.   Grin
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005 05:43:55 AM by crosette » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy. Come here, Squishy...Come here, little Squishy...bzzzzt... Ow! Bad squishy, bad Squishy!! - Dory
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005 04:13:54 AM »

There are two looks you can get from crocheting in the round - an octagon/heptagon whatever gon but a gon nonetheless - or a circle.

When you are working in rounds and you want your piece to look more squared off - or have "corners" I guess you can say (I will try and add pics later if I can crochet up a few samples for you) you work your increases in the same spot
example:
round 1 - ch2, 6 sc in second chain
round  - 2 sc, sc around
round 3 - 2 sc, sc in next two around
round 4 - 2 sc, sc in next three around...

and you keep doing that increase around and around and around.

okay, to make your circle not so pointy and whatevergon shaped...
all you need to do is do your increases in a different spot each time - when you look at the above example - you will see that you are making kind of sections... do your increase in each section (you know your section is the increase and the next few scs.. ) so just stagger where you do your increase so it isn't on top of the increase before that one.

like in round 3, you would sc, 2sc, sc in next two...around and when you get to the end of your round, you would finish up the scs that would have been in that first section.
round 4, you could sc in 2, then 2sc then sc in the next 3... blah blah blah.  I think you probably get that.

It kind of makes sense.
Here is a great Japanese site that shows the two differences so you can see what I am talking about..
http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mite/gurumineko/4/kagibari16.html

sorry about the japanese but it has pics that you can see what I am talking about how the two ways make a slightly different shape..

now.. laying flat... if your piece starts to curve up and get bowl shaped then you are  either doing too many increases, not enough increases or your hook is either too big or too small... tricky thing.
I think the most common round one for working in the round is starting with 6 sc... so I would give that a go and see how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
frogsrock
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005 08:50:17 AM »

heres what it looks like to me

crochet 2 circles
sew them up till the opening
line it
fold down the top of the circles, and sew down (the handle goes in that space)

personally i think old navy isent too expensive (usually) so if they have a color you like just buy it
once you add the yarn, fabric, handles, and anything else you need it'll probably cost about the same
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennickell
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005 12:06:35 PM »

personally i think old navy isent too expensive (usually) so if they have a color you like just buy it
once you add the yarn, fabric, handles, and anything else you need it'll probably cost about the same
That is what I tried to tell my friend who wanted me to make it for her, but she didnt like those colors.

Thanks for the help everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jason Reynolds: What Are You Reading?
Lynn Cullen: What Are You Reading?
Chef Heather Bertinetti on Baking Desserts
David Menasche: What Are You Reading?
Trailers: X-Men: No More Humans Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...