A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BBW / Plus Size Swap Round 2 (Sign Ups Closed; Mail By 12/8/12)  (Read 16047 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eiseldora
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012 10:41:30 PM »

Some of those tutorials make me upset since they still assume that the wearer has access to shirts they swim in.

or those tutes where they turn a men's button up shirt into a dress "i found a medium sized mens shirt, so it was big enough to turn into a dress with plenty left over" yeah sorry but a shirt that small is neither long enough to fit over my butt let alone big enough around to fit elsewhere

What really gets me is that girls who like to alter tees like this normally buy the cute things from thrift stores that might actually fit me just so they can cut it up and make it fit them. At one time I had hoped this would create bigger demand for items in my size, but instead they have just created less supply.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012 11:43:25 AM by Eiseldora » THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012 09:46:19 AM »

Some of those tutorials make me upset since they still assume that the wearer has access to shirts they swim in.

or those tutes where they turn a men's button up shirt into a dress "i found a medium sized mens shirt, so it was big enough to turn into a dress with plenty left over" yeah sorry but a shirt that small is neither long enough to fit over my butt let alone big enough around to fit elsewhere

What really gets me is that girls who like to alter tees like this normally buy the cute things from thrift stores that might actually fit me just so they can cut it up and make it fit them. At one time I had hoped this would create bigger demand for items in my size, but just less supply.

I am totally with both of you.  I hate it when they say things like, "so I performed liposuction on this top" or "it was so huuuuuuge I lopped off several inches on both sides!"  To that I say, "**** u."

I haven't sent in my questionnaire yet, but I plan to look for thrifted clothing today that is the right size but boooooring so I can do things (embellish, add fabric, subtract fabric, etc.) to make it more fabulous.  I want to make sure I can find something good to work with before signing up.  It's a big swap and important and I do NOT want to fail and flake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Scarlet_Angel

I think mice are rather nice!

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012 10:29:32 AM »

What really gets me is that girls who like to alter tees like this normally buy the cute things from thrift stores that might actually fit me just so they can cut it up and make it fit them. At one time I had hoped this would create bigger demand for items in my size, but just less supply.

I am totally with both of you.  I hate it when they say things like, "so I performed liposuction on this top" or "it was so huuuuuuge I lopped off several inches on both sides!"  To that I say, "**** u."

THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this lovely ladies - I thought it was only ME who got so frustrated at these kind of tutorials.

This swap looks great, and I keep nipping back and checking out the thread, so I think I will probably end up signing up - I'm just a bit nervous as I haven't had my sewing machine out for almost a year now, but I'm hoping this would really inspire me, plus there's a nice long crafting time, plus it would mean receiving something new in time for Christmas (can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into it??).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take Care
Drink Wine
Be Chilled!
DangPrecious
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012 11:07:33 AM »

DO IT!! All of you!! I check the thread, like, every couple hours to see if there's more people and you all sound like awesome happy people and you should joooooooin!! I'm so freaking excited about this. Especially how funny yall are about skinny people and their recons. Great stuff to read before heading off to a Beauty and Creativity class! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012 11:20:44 AM »

This thread is cracking me up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coconutbells
Mama Cass

I love old timey things, and miniatures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012 11:58:34 AM »

Oh man this is tempting! I wonder if I should join!?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolansmomster

Yes. I am THAT mom.

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012 12:14:55 PM »

I have to agree... I'm so glad I'm not the only person frustrated with the refashioning/ upcycling these tiny girls put out there... My favorite part of those is trying to translate sizing.  "So, if you're a size 4 and using a men's size Large...  and I'm an 18/20, I'd need a men's size.... um..."  Or the fact that so many of them are not bra-friendly?  Yeah, that's just never a good idea on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewmess

Even Mini crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012 01:40:36 PM »

Oh my,  very tempting.  I'll have to weigh X-mas crafting + work/time available and see if I can make it = joining.

And the not so practiced "real people" sewing.  I usually do bags, or cloth dolls & thier clothes.  I have reconned some t-shirts into something that real sized women can wear...so that's something.

If I find a 22+ (I wear 18/20 US) in a thrift store, I think long and hard about taking it for a recon, especially if it's a good brand, or hardly worn because I know it's tough for BBW on a budget to find good clothes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reclaiming my Crafting heritage one stitch at a time.
AuntieKar

Inspired by those around me

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012 08:53:40 PM »

OH....I may have to break down and join.....I love that there are so many of us who are frustrated with the little fashion world!  I personally hate that I can never find cute knee socks that fit over my calves without distorting their pattern....rawr!  Well, I will say that my friends were always jealous, 'cause I was blessed with the best rack in school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craziness and Craftiness are synonymous, right?!

http://www.pinterest.com/mrshoss
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012 08:55:38 PM »

AuntieKar, that cracked me up. I've always had problems with socks and boots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
United States in Style: Miami, Part 1
Different Celeb Same Dress: Kyle Minogue, Nicki Minaj and JLaw
Beth Ditto: Steal Her Style
Different Celebrity Same Dress
Supermodel Trends: Then and Now
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...