A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bamboo yarn sweater  (Read 1517 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , chart , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2012 05:20:06 AM »

I finished this in August but only now got around to taking pictures. 
It is knitted using a pattern generated by the pattern calculator at http://www.knittingfool.com/ which is a brilliant site and full of other useful information.  For the pattern calculator, you put in your chest measurement, needle size and tension and it calculates the stitches and rows you need to make the sweater.  I used the raglan top-down pattern but there are others.

I got the  yarn from Orion Wool and Crafts  in Cape Town.  It  is 100% bamboo yarn, Serina by Vinnis Colours, hand dyed and balled by women from an economically depressed rural area of South Africa. 

It is beautifully soft and has a lovely satin sheen which I think you can see in the picture. Also the shades  are very slightly variegated because of being hand dyed.  The garment is quite heavy because of the stitch I used which carries some threads across the back to give a thicker fabric.  As a result it is also quite warm.

The stitch used was one I devised because I wanted to use all the colours but didn't want plain stripes and also I cannot get the tension right for proper Fair Isle.   The colours alternate in two rows each but I slipped stitches to make it look like blocks of colour instead of stripes.

The solid colour squares represent stitches that have been knitted. The n squares are stitches that have been slipped. The vertical arrows show the direction of knitting.  Each row on the chart is one row of knitting.  I was knitting in the round so they are all plain rows, otherwise they would alternate plain and purl.

The pattern changes direction  on the blue rows.   (Indicated by the horizontal arrows.) Either the blue knits up two stitches (x x) first and then a slipped stitch (n)or else it knits up a slipped stitch (n) followed by two knit stitches (x x). 

Between ** and ** represents one complete pattern change. 

Changing direction makes it more complicated and there is much more room for error.  I had to keep close track of my pattern changes.  You could just knit it without changing direction and it would look something like this.

Instead of this.

This picture also shows how the colour varies slightly within each shade.

Knitted on 4 mm and 3.5 mm circular needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012 08:38:05 AM »

I gotta say, that is pretty darn special! All of it, it's all just amazing and awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmom
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012 05:25:29 PM »

it's a beautiful sweater --and us mere mortals can not begin to understand your crazy stitch pattern. but it looks great. very unusual (in a  good way  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykrish2010
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012 06:15:46 PM »

Superb color combination and yarn is so soothing to eyes! I can only crochet! Beautiful creations like this inspire me to learn to knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets Celebrate life
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012 11:33:54 AM »

Thanks so much everyone.  I had a lot of fun making this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Classic Banana Bread
How to Make a Lighter Peanut Butter Pie
How to Make a Red Velvet Cheesecake
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
How to Make Crispy Chocolate Hearts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...