A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costume Help ~ Columbia ROPS  (Read 533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeremyagain
« on: October 01, 2012 09:29:07 AM »

Long I know sorry.

I'm working on a costume for Halloween Columbia for ROPS.  I had a good idea to glue sequins onto a tube top as I didn't have the proper corset.  So I found a tube top bright pink, and got some sequins, and started gluing using Alieen's Fabric Fusion.  I was making the sequins VERY dense as I didn't want any of the pink tube top to show through.  I started last night.  Today when I looked at my progress I realized that where I've glued the sequins the fabric now no longer stretches ~sigh~  I need the stretch...lol.  I'm not putting sequins on the back as I will be wearing a jacket so I am wondering if I will still be able to get the tube top on, and over the girls.  If it doesn't stretch what could I do to alter the back?  Would cutting up the back & adding sewing elastic work?  I don't want to start over.

Then there is the hat.  I got a black hat at Value Village in their costume section, but it is all black.  I need it gold, and very sparkly VERY sparkly.  My plan is to spray paint it gold, then use modge podge, and put gold glitter on the hat.  I really want it to sparkle do you think that will work?  Also to seal the hat should I use a spray sealant or do a second later of modge podge to seal the glitter on.

I have shorts that I will add ribbon too.  I'm going to glue the ribbon on hopefully that will work.

The jacket.  Yikes.  I wanted something already sequinned, but so far haven't found on at the Thrift Store though I will keep looking.  I do have a Plan B, but it is big on me & black.  So could I spray paint the jacket gold?  Has anyone done that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stacey
christysaysrawr
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012 02:12:17 PM »

I just did my first pair of glitter shoes and I would say put two or three coats on the hat- then LIGHTLY spray a coat of clear spray paint in a gloss finish.

I would go ahead for the jacket do something other than sequins- spray paint, fabric paint, or I think gold fabric glitter would work nicely! If you have time to sew a jacket similar to what she has, just cover it in gold glitter. I remember seeing something at Micheal's about fabric specific glitter or glue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
jeremyagain
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012 08:01:59 AM »

Thanks for replying.  The hat ended up fantastic.  I do need to spray it with a sealer still as I think I will use it next year.  I ended up finding a sequin top that worked as a jacket at a Second Hand Shop so that worked Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stacey
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Tricks to Growing Long, Beautiful Hair
Zac Posen Proves That Crimped Hair Can Be Glamorous at NYFW Fall 2013
How to Create the Blair Waldorf Hairstyle from "Gossip Girl"
DIY Hair Detox For Fuller Hair
Wig-Over With Sherri Shepherd
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...