A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: postage stamps  (Read 15362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Titania
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2005 08:11:29 PM »

Decoupage anything that you can think of with them.  I covered a red lampshade with old stamps and when it was switched on it had a nice warm glow to it.  I've also covered old boxes, and I used them in collages and other arts and crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sacredheartarts.blogspot.com

www.sacredheartarts.com

~* He does not need opium.  He has the gift of reverie *~ Anais Nin
angelundrground
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2005 07:37:28 PM »

Here are 2 ideas.

1. You can decoupage a picture frame.

2. This is what I did with mine.

Thing's you need:

1. If you have a laminating machine,you need one sheet of the laminating plastic. It's specifically made for the machine.

If you don't own one,you can buy self laminating sheets. These are cheapest to buy at Walmart I've found. Comes in a pack or 8 I believe.

2. Stamps

3. Double sided clear tape. I used scotch. Permanent or removable. Doesn't matter.

4. a paper cutter or a t-square. Anything that can make a straight cut with a 90 degree angle basically.

5. Velcro

To Start:
Take laminating sheet and open it up and lay it flat on your work surface. Put something smooth on the corners to hold it down.

1. Measure a piece of tape almost as long as the sheet is wide. Leave about 1/2 inch-1inch on sides because that will be your border. No less than 3/4 of an inch because the sheet won't seal properly then.

2. Lay piece of tape on laminate lengthwise and press down in place. Try to make it smooth.

3. Lay stamps onto tape. If you want to overlap them,thats ok. Just make sure each stamp has some contact with the tape.

The purpose of the tape is to keep everything where you want it. You can buy sticky laminating paper that comes on a roll but I found this much easier.

4. keep adding tape lengths and stamps till it's all filled up.

5. If using machine,run the sheet through it.
If using cold sheet,slowly smooth over the top piece of laminate or the stamps,making sure not to get air bubbles.

6. Use your paper cutter or T-Square to make your sheet perfectly square if it's not already.

7. Attach velcro to back of sheet. Keep both pieces of velcro stuck together,do not separate.
Take the paper off the velcro that will go onto the mailbox and position the sheet over the area you want it and press it down. Press down over the parts with velcro so it gets good contact with the mailbox.

Your Done!!!

I put the velcro on so that I can change the sheet out with new designs. I didn't want this permanent because I change things constantly.

Here is a link to what mine looks like:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/firerockss/album?.dir=/6981&.src=ph&.tok=phm4W9CBT2fdN9oS

I will probably trim up my laminate a little more to make it look more even.

Good Luck,
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterpolocathy
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2005 05:53:50 PM »

Reviving...does anybody have any more interesting ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2005 07:25:41 PM »

I've been saving mine up to make a 'stationary box'. To hold paper, envelopes and of course stamps. d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
McJulie-O
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2005 06:21:41 AM »

What about the postage stamp necklaces? http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=39105.0 I'm dying to try this and have all the ingredients ....but my prettiest stamps are wider than the microscope slides I have.....I'm going to try it anyway, practicing on the smaller stamps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2005 06:27:59 PM »

you can make paper out of them! 

since they're already in small pieces and they're thin, I'm sure they won't do much damage to your blender.  Just turn the blender on for a couple o seconds (literally...) so that they don't get pulped too much, the idea is to still see that they're stamps.

Check out some forums on how to make paper, it's pretty easy and very fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
kousagi
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2005 07:07:30 PM »

Some other posts on stamps for you

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29364.0 this one has a stamp lampshade
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=4149.20 this one has a cool stamp bag by Garbage Collector Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
honorhappy
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2005 01:08:23 AM »

Sorry to sound stupid, but these are already used stamps?  If not, and they are no longer the right price to mail them, get some of those one cent stamps, etc and you can use them up.

If you're a collector, you could frame them and that way they wouldn't lose their value if one day you want to sell, etc.

If you just like them, I agree with the decoupage (a stationary set in the stamped box would be a neat Chrismas gift, too), and I liked the idea of making the paper.  Maybe do both together if you have enough stamps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kewlchik
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2005 12:53:59 PM »

If they are pretty or unique, you could blow them up and color copy them and use them for gift wrap or to make one of those magazine type purses.Glue them to something like a small wooden disk(to give it body) and then glue to a tac-head to use on  a bulletin board.If you have a lot of them,glue them to wood molding and use as chair rail or trim in a library or study area.The lower half of the wall with a world map.They would need to be finished with a varnish or protective coating.I think it would look neat to color copy them to a t-shirt transfer and then do a shirt or jacket with the images.They make some beautiful stamps, so you could even do a themed one depending on the kind you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2006 04:55:52 PM »

Inspired by this thread, I started buying up otherwise worthless stamps on eBay, whenever I found a good deal, and just decoupaged the top of our coffee table. (It's our old dining table that my husband sawed the legs down on - so it has drop leaves.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Easy baby portraits
How to Take Wedding Photographs
How to Create lighting for models
How to Build a Dual Macro Flash for DSLR Macro Lens
How to Create a HDR Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...