A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to BBQ Chicken  (Read 951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

txweekendchef
« on: September 28, 2012 02:19:58 PM »

Made some BBQ chicken that turned out great! A lot of people make the mistake of try to cook them like burgers which usually makes a mess of it.
Here are some pics and 5 tips on barbecuing chicken.  

I like adding some honey to my BBQ sauce to make a glaze out of it.

BBQ the chicken with a rub and add the glaze in the last 15 to 30 minutes of the cook.

Here are some tips for the next time you fix BBQ chicken.

1. If you have the time, brine. Brining will make your chicken stay extra juicy and moist, even if you accidentally over cook it a little. Brining is easy to do (check recipe link below), but it does take a little extra time. So plan ahead and buy your chicken a day before you plan to grill it.

2. Legs and thighs. If you end up having to buy your chicken the day of the BBQ with no time to brine, you might consider skipping the white meat and just cooking legs and thighs. Legs and thighs are a lot more forgiving on the grill, so there is less chance of dry, overcooked chicken.

3. Low and slow. BBQ Chicken needs to be grilled over indirect heat at a temperature of around 300F (check recipe link below), so you need to fix up the grill accordingly. On a charcoal grill move the hot coals to one side of the grill, on a gas grill turn on only half the burners. Grill the chicken on the side of the grill without the hot burners/coals and with the lid closed. You can still grill your burgers and hot dogs on the hot side of the grill, just give the chicken an hour head start.

4. Rub, then sauce at the end. A common mistake when barbecuing chicken is to apply the BBQ sauce too soon, or even at the beginning. The sugar in the sauce then burns, leaving a bitter taste. Apply a BBQ rub at the beginning and sauce the chicken the last 15 to 30 minutes.

5. Get an instant read thermometer. You can cut into the chicken pieces to see if it is done, or check for clear running juices when poked. But the best way is to use an instant read thermometer if you really want to know when things are done on the grill. White meat is done at around 160F and dark meat is done a 165F. Be sure to get a thermometer with a fast instant read response time. Some instant reads can be pretty slow. ThermoWorks makes some of the best and are super fast. You can find them on Amazon starting at $19.

Recipe and more detailed instructions and pictures here.

The chicken turned out great! The glaze on the chicken has a nice caramelization, but is not burned. When I cut into the breast the meat actually looked wet. Now that is a juicy piece of chicken. I am really glad I took the extra time to brine it. Now for the taste, sweet, tangy, savory and juicy... I would call this perfect.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012 02:23:32 PM by txweekendchef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steve from Cowtown (Fort Worth)
My Weekend Chef Facebook page
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012 03:46:25 PM »

That looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing your tips as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012 11:49:41 PM »

Lovely. Thanks for sharing your tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
txweekendchef
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012 12:19:32 PM »

Brining is the best tip for juicy chicken, that's why I listed it first. If I have the time I always brine my chicken no matter how I plan to cook it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steve from Cowtown (Fort Worth)
My Weekend Chef Facebook page
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Calligraphy Set
How to Learn Calligraphic Styles
How to Write with a Fountain Pen
How to Draw Calligraphy Pictures
How to Write Modern Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...