A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From Imagination to Reality  (Read 1076 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zadok
creative slacker

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2012 10:22:49 AM »

This was my first cosplay outfit, all hand sewn. I made everything but the ears, they were bought on Ebay (XD), the panty hose, and my shoes.

I designed the character in middle school (2004). She was made for Yuyu Hakusho fanfictions (she is the younger half sister of Kuronue and Karasu)... none of which I ever finished writing. ^.^'  This is how she looked originally:

I altered it slightly, taking away the belts on her arms (they were part of Kuronue's outfit) and the things by her shoes (taken from a different anime). I may alter it further in the future, possibly adding something on her arms. The swirly lines by the rose petals (which explode like Karasu's little flying monsters) are movement lines for her swinging kusari gama (chain sythe; see Kuronue's) which I did not have time to make before the con. She also has 2 necklaces I didn't have time to make. One like Kuronue's in purple and one with a sword pendant with bat wings that turns into a real sword when she needs a back up weapon.

The pants were reconned from an old pair that I didn't care much for. I was going to learn to do button holes because I thought you had to have some type of super equiptment to use snaps but a trip to Joann's quickly had me going with my first choice. Yay! The straps are just shiny black ribbon that can be detached via the snaps for easy washing. Whoot! I'll have to remember to leave myself more room for sewing the ends back though because after the first wash some of the edges of the pants have come apart and started to fray. TT.TT

The shirt was also made of recycled clothes from my closet. The top was from an old T-shirt, the bottom from an old bikini top (it was a tank style), and shoe strings for the straps.

The Hat:

I did have a hat like the one I originally designed Kuriei with (it was much darker than this) but between middle school and sometime before I started working on the costume I lost it. >.>' So I had to go buy a white one and dye it blue myself. lol I also had to cut the ear holes in it and sew part of it back together. Note for anyone else who has that bright idea, the top parts of the hat are sewn together and if you cut through them the hat will start to fall apart. >.<' Honestly I don't know why I thought it wouldn't. eheh~

The Tail:

The tail is made completely of yarn. I made it via several different yarn tail tutorials. (look for the one by morgrimswolf & the girl doing the brightly colored tails on youtube/avoid the one by the girl in the ninja shirt her's is too low to hear) Saddly I started it before I ran into the one that showed how to get a nice loop at the top that made it easy to attach the tail to a clip. *sigh* I used 3 different sekins of yarn; the white (which turned out to not be 100% acryllic and therefore looks like poo) the blue black, (which I had on hand as well as the white when I started), and the solid black (which I had to go buy at the store when I figured out I didn't have near enough to finish with the blue black) As you can tell I ran out of it before I was finished as well. TT.TT It was a whole pound sekin! These things take a lot of yarn! PS~ they are also very tedious. I chickened out of doing the 'w' designs around it. :p

The wings were similarly made via a youtube tut: How to make dragon wings. I did the dumb thing and made them too big by using a different pvc elbow than in the video and ended up sawing off a third of them. I completely did my own thing for the holsters to hold them though. They move by me pulling the strings. (even though you can't tell in the pic shown TT.TT)

Wing Harness:

I bought three belts at a thrift store for a whole $1.50 and sewed them together after sizing them to myself... little did I know that my dad was gunna turn around and use a staple gun to staple the board on the inside of the harness. While this was in theory a good idea for adding support I had only sized the harness to fit me, not me + a board. >.<' I had to take some of the excess from what I'd cut off the belts and sew it back on the one that went around my ribs. For the pvc part I used pcv cement/glue to fuse the strait piece to the elbow, drilled at the angle I wanted, & added screws (which actually don't bother me at all). Originally The straps on the back were free but they kept sliding off and making the wings fall crooked so I went back and put them under the top parts of the pvc where they are now also screwed on. All in all the only thing I would have done differently would have been to make the board longer. It stops like 2 inches before the curve of my back and pretty much all the weight just sits there. This was fixed at the con where I bought a steel boned corset which I wore under the harness. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012 01:02:39 PM by zadok » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jill-of-most-trades, attempter of most Wink
~will do personal swaps~
https://pinterest.com/zadok1175/

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2 Swap books for free! XD
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012 02:37:49 PM »

It's great that the design has come with you all the way from 2004. Cool implementation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
zadok
creative slacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012 04:56:09 PM »

I still can't believe I never lost the pic or just stopped liking the design in all that time. Thank you. ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jill-of-most-trades, attempter of most Wink
~will do personal swaps~
https://pinterest.com/zadok1175/

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2 Swap books for free! XD
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Israel Bans Underweight Models
How to Paint Snowflake Nails
Birchbox New York Subscribers Share Their Favorite Products and Top Tips
Beauty Products That Won the NewBeauty Beauty Choice Awards 2013
Behind the Beauty Brand: Image Skincare
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...