A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A corset fit for a drag queen!  (Read 1204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leenalivingdead
« on: September 27, 2012 10:30:36 PM »

Hey guys!

So, I am designing a costume for a charity drag show coming up in November.  The theme is Moulin Rouge and I am designing a drag costume consisting of a corset, bolero, and bustle skirt for a drag queen.  I went to the library and picked up Corsets and Crinolines by Norah Waugh and a book on historical costume design.  I'm designing a 19th century corset with extended hips (to accentuate the figure), but I have never really designed for drag before.  Does anyone have any tips on how to...mold the body?  I'm beginning to get a little worried, because my lovely drag queen's waist doesn't cinch all that much.  I need to push up the bosoms and flare out the hips...Help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
papermittens
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012 06:09:15 PM »

Either use colors in the corset (like black sides) to give the illusion of the waist being made smaller, or pad the top and hips of the outfit to make up for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Turbosaurus
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012 07:54:03 AM »

Maybe you should rethink the length of the corset, have it end higher.  then you could make a balloon style apron for the skirt?  sew in some tulle or crinoline to the waist band to give the apron fullness in the hip area?

If your heart is set on a longer length corset, you can't make the waist smaller so you will have to make the hips bigger.  Build in some hips. Make your hip gussets bigger and maybe add some shoulder pads to each side seam at the hip?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw Clowns
How to Paint with Color
How To Draw A Raven
How To Draw A Guitar
How To Draw The Earth
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...