A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Flyer Question  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breabadair
« on: September 26, 2012 10:18:34 AM »

I found a really good deal on an Elizabeth I. So, I bought it.

I'm just happy to have a wheel again (my traddy is in Arizona while I am in Indiana). I'm having a problem with the new (used) wheel. It's a double drive and I've only ever spun on an single with scotch tension. I thought that might be the problem, as I can't get the yarn to wind onto the bobbin, it just keeps corkscrewing. I've messed with the tension and treadling, but nothing has helped. Then I noticed something about the flyer, that I don't think it should be doing. So, pictures.

Here's what it looks like. Appears fine. However, it....does things.

It's spinning around on the metal that makes the orifice, and the...part that goes into the bobbin for lack of technical terms. That seems unusual. It also shouldn't be moving up and down on those parts, right? Can I fix this? Is this even a problem? I'm not sure what to do with this.  

And just because I'm happy and want to share how lovely she is, a picture. Smiley

If anyone can tell me what to do with the flyer, or if that's not the issue, the driveband, I'd love some help. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012 11:03:41 AM by breabadair » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012 11:58:34 AM »

I'm no wheel expert, but it looks to me like it's missing a guide hook.  There should be one on the corner or center maybe?
Can you take a picture of what's happening?  I think I understand, but I'm not sure.

The other thing is with double drives, is it doesn't matter how tight that drive band or break band are, as long as there is enough tension to turn the wheel and bobbin.  It's the ratio of the whorls(pulleys) that increase or decrease the take up speed.  The closer they are in size the less it will pull. The bobbin has to spin faster then the flyer so that it will pull the yarn onto it. (known as flyer lead)

Lovely new wheel, it's to bad you'll have to sell the other, as they both have great qualities that make them great wheels, and it's nice to have the variety of functions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breabadair
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012 12:04:42 PM »

Ooh, thank you. I admit to being at a loss with this. What's a guide hook? It looks as though there a little hole in the wood, but nothing is in it. So, is that where the guide hook would go? I tried to take close up pictures. I hope they are helpful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012 12:14:16 PM »

Yeah, I would say it's missing a hook or a ring thing.  You know, those kinds of "hooks" that are closed?  I don't know what they are called right now...  Anyway, it would provide a space between the oriface and that bar, making it so that your yarn has a safe way to travel.   I'd try that, simply because there is a hole there that looks like one might have been there once upon a time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012 05:59:58 AM »

It's missing an eye hook, you can get a replacement at most hardware stores, you can see where the previous one was at one point. Fill in the hole with PVA glue or CA glue before putting it in, otherwise it's likely to pop out again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012 06:56:52 AM »

eye hook!!!  That's the name!! ha!!  Thanks Blacksmith!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012 10:07:55 AM »

The important thing for fixing this is to fill in the hole with some sort of adhesive or another to hold the new eye hook in place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
breabadair
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012 11:06:15 AM »

Thanks for your help, guys. You're dead on.

I knew what it was doing was not right. I thought there was what appeared to be dried glue between the wood and the orifice. So, I emailed Ashford about it, because I wanted to know if I should apply more glue, and what kind before I did anything to it. I knew you were right about the missing piece, but I didn't know if I needed to redo the glue. (right now I have a paper clip strung through the hole in the wood/metal). Richard Ashford emailed me and offered to send me the missing pin that goes where the paper clip currently resides, then I can glue it back proper. Ashford has some really awesome customer service.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 MTV Movie Awards: Red Carpet Fashion - Selena Gomez, Emma Watson
Kim Kardashian Dons Some Sexy Maternity Wear at the MTV Movie Awards
4 Ways to Wear the Ruffle Trend Without Looking Too Young
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
2013 MTV Movie Awards Style Prediction: Mila Kunis
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...