A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mixing dye stock...  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Minimummy

Taking it one WIP at a time.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2012 11:50:37 AM »

I want to mix up some dye stock for painting yarn, but my ratios seem to be off and the dye is bleeding way too much. I'm using Kenenthrol acid milling dyes, what ratios would I be looking at for pale, medium and strong colours?

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question and has been asked millions of times already but I've been to the ends of the internets and found nothing!

Thanks, folks!

Grin
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012 11:51:18 AM by Minimummy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://www.mothering-heights.net

Can't wait for winter to reappear!
Shannin
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012 12:50:29 PM »

I'm going to assume you're already familiar with general dye stock solutions... i.e. 1% DOS = 1g dye poweder : 100ml water : 100g fiber. For handpainting, you're going to need to dilute it or it will go on extremely saturated, which is why you're getting so much bleeding. The hand painting stock should be diluted to about 1:5 dye stock to water, depending on how deep you want the colors. You should definitely do tests on small samples to get the feel of how much you like to dilute it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012 05:46:32 PM »

By bleeding do you mean that the colors are bleeding together too much, or that the yarn is not absorbing the dye?

If I am using colors that I do not want to bleed together, before dyeing/painting I roll my yarn (which I soaked in a vinegar solution) in a towel to take out any excess moisture.  

I generally mix my dye stock with a stronger ratio for deep colors.  I am not familiar with the dyes that you mentioned, for the most part I use Jacquard.  I use 1 heaping teaspoon of dye in a pint jar of water for my dye stock.   I use 8 ounce baby bottles to paint and add 1 ounce of vinegar, 2 ounces of dye solution and 5 ounces of water.  This is for maximum color.

If I get too much dye on the yarn, or my colors are bleeding together too much, I will blot with a towel, very messy but effective and I have many beautifully dyed towels!!

As minimummy said, do a test.  If you want pastel colors, go light on the dye - remember, you can always dye again.

Good Luck,
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes of Kai Lenny Style Challenge
Look Alive in a Sea of Sharks
The Sixties Make a Comeback in 2013
Giving a Modern Look to the Princess Dress
The Ideal Look for Autumn
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...