A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little mermaid, Ursula, and King Trident (few pics)  (Read 2621 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlemama25
« on: September 24, 2012 06:54:50 PM »

Me (Ursula) and my hubby (King Trident)

My little mermaid daughter and me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

would love to do personal swaps
yardenxanthe
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012 07:26:02 PM »

So cute! I hope you win all the costume contests. Smiley Details on how you made them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlemama25
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012 11:43:32 PM »

For the hair (easy adaptation of a devil wig. the horns were sown down.)
The upper body: Since we live in WA state and it is cold here I bought a white turtle neck and dyed it flesh tone. Then using purple jersey fabric I cut and hand sewed the scallop shells to the bust (making sure they fell in the right area on my 3 year old) To finish off the top I cut a small strap for the "bra" and sewed that in place.
For the tail I cut 2 arrow shapes of satin like material (it looked more fishy). Then I cut 4 triangles out of green jersey material and made little "pillows" out of them for the tail fins. I attached one to each side of the arrows' point (2 on each arrow) Then I sewed the arrows together in a tube with the points together. After this I added some elastic to the waist so that it would fit my little one and be used for dress up later on.

The hair: Santa wig
"Chest": thermal top dyed skin tone. for the abs and pecs(not shown but there) I painted them on using leftover dye and a paint brush.
the tail was created in the same way as the little mermaids using blue jersey fabric.
Trident: Devils pitch fork spray painted gold.
not pictured above (but way above they are)
Crown: milk jug. I drew out the general shape of King Trident's crown cut it out and spray painted it gold
Wrist guards: plastic large fast food cups. These were embellished with hot glue. The bottom was cut out for his hands and then the whole thing was spray painted gold.

Lastly Ursula (please excuse the cig I have since quit [half a year and counting])
Purple top is a thermal dyed lavender. The black section was done in two parts. The top half was cut to mimic the bust of Ursula and then hand sewn on to the purple top. On the skirt/tentacle section: I cut out 6 triangles of purple jersey (figured with 2 legs I would have 8 - and the Ursula in the movie only has 6 legs) then a long section of black that I cut triangular strips into leaving a 3 inch band at the top to attach it to the shirt section. Then I sewed the purple triangles to the black ones leaving a hole to place polyfill and a wire coat hanger in. Once I had done put in the wire and stuffing I stitched the hole shut and sewed the "skirt" to the top. In hindsight it could have been easier to get into and out of but it worked.
Not pictured:
Nails: plastic fake nails cut into points and painted red.
earrings: old dangly earrings with the bauble cut off and a purple painted shell hot glued to the chain.
Necklace: a piece of the black fabric used for the costume cut to fit with a yellow painted shell hot glued to the band and velcro for the "clasp" at back
Wig: Don King wig spray painted white (the spray paint made it stand up like ursula's)
Red lipstick
face paint (white costume paint tinted with purple eyeshadow, for the face. For the eyes black costume makeup)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012 03:51:59 AM »

Ok this is just adorable. Loving so cute thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012 06:35:54 AM »

Wow, you got made skills, yo! Those costumes all turned out so fantastic! And congratulations on Being a Quitter!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012 07:46:47 AM »

That is just fabulous! What a great idea for a family costume set, and majorly creative construction Cheesy Hehe, milk jug crown...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlemama25
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012 09:24:16 AM »

Smiley I am all about using what I have Smiley and bonus for recycling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimmyLynne82
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I enjoy being a dame.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012 09:02:12 AM »

These look great! Love that you used everyday items to make parts of the costume, and CONGRATS on quitting! That's a tough habit to break - I'm proud of anyone who even tries!

Oh man! I wish I would have thought of Ursula sooner! I'm totally going to save this idea for next year! I love the Little Mermaid!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog

I <3 Personal Swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Ways to Dress Up For Any Holiday Party
Top 5 Sexy Christmas Costumes
Shop These 4 NYE Dresses Right Now
Rent The Runway Takes On Fifth Avenue
New Looks from Old Coats with Lilliana Vazquez: Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...