A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First sewing projects - skirt and chiffon blouse  (Read 1398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mophelia

Craft Lives On!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 24, 2012 06:49:59 PM »

hi there. this is the first time I've posted in this section. I'm a knitter and a crocheter but so jealous of all of you that make your own clothes so I've been painstakingly trying to learn to do this. I took a sewing class about 20 years ago when I was a kid and just couldn't get the hang of it so I gave it up! I'd love to go back and yell at my pre-teen self!

Anyway, I'm getting there. Some of the best and most fun fabric I've worked with is from ikea! I find the fabric to be sturdy and thick enough that it's not see through. So here is my first wearable item skirt from ikea! It cost $12. It makes me think Kate Spade with all her dots. (Instagram makes my place look much dirtier than it is! I promise)
I wore it with hot pink tights and the yellow belt that came with one of the Jason Wu for target dresses.

My next project didn't go so well. I got the pattern from the fantastic book Sewing in a Straight Line. I decided to try the Easy Breezy Blouse in a beautiful (not cheap) chiffon. The french seams and everything came out really well, but when I measured, I didn't account for my chest, so I couldn't fit into it! I cut it down the middle thinking that would work but haha it did not! It's so pretty but I just can't fit into it! I plan on giving it to a flat-chested friend. I really want to make this again though. It's fairly easy.

I hope you enjoy! It's frustrating being a newbie but I hope you will be seeing more of me on these boards!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012 10:57:37 AM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: to add more descriptive title » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012 12:00:55 PM »

I like your spotty skirt, it's very slightly dalek- cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
SewCraftyDonna
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012 01:06:13 PM »

Both pieces are so fun! And if it's been 20 yrs since your sewing class - well, I'm surprised they let toddlers take the class!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vaniloquence
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012 05:07:43 PM »

I looove polka dots and want to steal the skirt. Very pretty! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Trace Is in Soap Making
The Art of Flower Pressing
The Art of Quilting
The Art of Pen Turning
A Lesson in Paper Cutting
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...