A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Robin and Batman Beyond  (Read 2344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2012 11:12:03 AM »

Finished pics from the Hallowe'en party this weekend! I made everything except the bodysuits - so the shorts, both capes, both logos and accessories, both belts (the BF conceived of the utility belt) and Batman's eyes and ears. The BF also constructed underarmor out of recycled cardboard that he taped to an undershirt.

***More Finished Pics Below***

w00t! I have officially been making headway on my half of me and my BF's Batman-and-Robin duo costume.

It's my own design, you can see the sketch at this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=412429.0

I bought a pair of high-waisted black trousers with a side zipper and no pockets at the thrift store and, standing with them on inside out in front of the mirror, sketched some lines and cut them into Superhero  Shorts, inspired by the famous American Apparel disco shorts:

And my version:

I must say, I am absolutely tickled at how they came out. They look a little shorter than the AA version, partly because they *are* a little shorter, but also due to the angle I photographed them at with my laptop camera.

Here's a photo of my cape pieces cut out with the shorts:

The cape is a half-circle skirt pattern, and the pieces that you see are folded in half (so it looks like a quarter piece). I found this great lightweight fabric in the two perfect colours in the sale section of Fabricland. Score!

Stay tuned for more progress pics and please leave your C&C!

Shannon

More Pics:

I'm holding the cape closed because I haven't sewn on the closures yet. After that, I just need the mask and I'm all set! I've been having some difficulty with the mask. My idea was to take some recycled plastic, heat it up, and mold it to my face. The first kind of plastic I tried (a yogurt container) didn't work well, it would only flex one way at a time. Gonna try it with a Coke bottle next. If that doesn't work, I'll try black craft foam.

I made the belt by covering some elastic in yellow fabric. It doesn't *quite* reach behind the buckle, because I measured it at a different part of my waist than where the shorts sit. Oh well.

The buckle, logo and stripes are all cardboard cutouts with leftover costume fabric hot glued around the back. I can adjust the placement because I glued safety pins to the back so I could use the suit again in the future.

The catsuit was bought online. Without the cape and with a different logo, it could also be a costume from The Incredibles!

Please C&C!

Shannon
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012 08:41:20 AM by Schnoogles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
MaxParadise
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012 04:39:09 PM »

Looks great so far! I can't wait to see more WIP pics and the finished outfit =)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012 04:39:48 PM by MaxParadise » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And your scared to death that you are never going to come alive.

http://www.pintrest.com/dheartst
tiffnyy
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012 08:51:51 PM »

Nice job! I remember seeing your sketch and I'm so excited to see how awesome your costume turns out to be! I haven't even started on my own so hopefully this will inspire me, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012 06:04:30 PM »

Mask problem solved, using this guy's tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5SXqgFRV8

Except I used a cheap plastic mask to mould mine directly on my face, and I used what I had on hand and I ended up with a black mask instead of a green one. So my costume won't have any green elements because I ran out of time and money. I don't mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Monster
How to Design a Cartoon Pig
How to Do a Pokemon Drawing
How to Create a Cartoon Fish
How to Practice Drawing Bulldog
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...