A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: would love ideas for fishing items or interesting toys or anything else  (Read 1304 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

legatostroke
« on: September 22, 2012 09:57:01 PM »

This is long--sorry--but I really hope someone has some ideas I can borrow...

So...I usually half buy half make my Christmas gifts each year for each person. My dad is all-around difficult to think of gifts for which is actually the reason I don't get my mom all of the things I think of to get her--I like to keep them even. Smiley My dad definitely appreciates all of my gifts and does appreciate the homemade ones. I found out once that he was disappointed that he got a store-bought father's day card from me. I won't do that again, haha. But anyway, it is tough to get/make him something that he loves not just 'because I got/made it for him'. Soooo somebody help me out here...please!

He is NOT a tie wearing, golf playing, sport fanatic, technology using, beer drinking, or other stereotypical dad-gift kinda guy. He does love to fish but he does not fly-fish and he is not a sit-in-the-boat-and-drink kinda guy either. He uses his tools but he's too particular about them (and has them all) for me to buy the right ones, and isn't into the 'Mr. Fix-It' type novelty gifts. He's not into the Grill-Man novelty gifts either though he cooks some and does it well. I think I may have already exhausted cooking gifts though. He hunts some-archery and guns. He also just got a new pistol. He makes his own fun pistol targets like his dueling tree. Wall-art is a no go. Since my mom is also a fisher, a gift of wall art is pretty much a mom gift. Basically, if the idea isn't hidden in the dark corners of the internet, then I've already tried or ruled it out, haha. No scarves, no gooey-photo album type things, probably no novelty items that just sit on a shelf somewhere...
For reference, hes in his 40s.

Things I've tried that he liked enough that they're worth mentioning:

welding caps: he wears these for work but you can only buy them in absurd and horrendous patterns and he is not into drawing any attention to himself. He LOVED these.

a magazine about true-but-strange deer which was filled with pictures of crazy antlers, etc. Definitely enjoyed this.

I've made him flannel pajamas that he wears. I got him a case of a hoagie spread he likes but can't buy at the stores close to him. I get both my parents trays of nuts every year. He liked a Kenny (South Park) bobble head that talked.

He likes the comedy of Rodney Carrington, Jeff Dunham, and Steven Wright. I have already given him every CD of their stuff imaginable and he doesn't watch the videos. I've also sent him to see them live. I am debating screen-printing a shirt with something funny on it (but probably as a pajama top because he again doesn't like drawing attention to himself in public). He likes classic rock (but you wouldn't just look at him and know that): Stevie Nicks, Three Dog Night, ZZ Top, and lots of others. I've already done the CD thing.

A small thing I've thought of is putting together a nice towel on a hook that clips to a beltloop for wiping off his hands while fishing. I think this will go over well but it doesn't make gifts to my parents even because mom will want one too. If anybody has ideas for craftable fishing (but not fly fishing) items...I would love to hear them.

If you know of any things that fall into the same category as a yip stick....those would be of interest to me. I can't describe what category that is, but if you know what one is, you probably know what else is like it. My dad is the sort to occasionally get bored enough to make an absurd toy and I think showing him one for a change would be cool.

Another small thing is leather cell phone holder for his belt. I made one last year but couldn't give it to him because (checking on Christmas Eve) his phone didn't fit. (I am 26 and don't live at home so I didn't get to check it beforehand). Might add this in again. Annd a screwdriver keychain so they're always handy. But I need some big things...

Also I can learn just about any craft (except crocheting/knitting) so any ideas are ok there. Also accepting store bought ideas. Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickybiker
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012 02:32:35 AM »

What about making him a quiver? 

Or embroidering a picture or name onto the fabric part of a fishing stool or chair?? 

Or make a warm hat with furry ear flaps for when fishing in cold weather?

I do like those caps, BTW, did you make them?  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momof2!
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012 04:29:38 AM »

Is your Dad my Dad? Or my husband? He sounds like both of them! LOL

I'm going to be checking this thread for ideas for my hubby. My Dad, I've given up on. I usually buy his things. They are sometimes toys. A couple years ago I bought him an bionic eye microscope toy thing that hooks to the TV, and a remote controlled helicopter. He still plays with both. I did make him a quilt but it took a lot of time, but his dogs sleep with him so it's all messed up from having to wash it every week. Umm let's see, I gave him one of those trail cameras and he put it in his yard to see what all was coming through there. He lives in town and has seen deer, wild turkey, and all sorts of critters so he enjoys that. Anyway, most of that stuff is bought stuff.

I have been trying to think of things to craft for my husband. Just a few ideas were: shaving soap, knitted hat or one of those neck warmer things he wears hunting (it's not a scarf, it's round and slips over your head and just goes around his neck..I dunno what it is), well come to think of it that's all I got. He fishes too (not fly) but he's not like a die hard. He likes tools but has everything he wants and I wouldn't know what to get anyway. He wouldn't care about wall art. He watches football but doesn't care that much who wins or whatever. He likes food  Roll Eyes but anything I make will be partially eaten by our kids, has plenty of pjs or lounging clothes, and doesn't wear ties. He grills for us once or twice a week but doesn't and probably wouldn't wear one of those grilling aprons. Not that into grilling that he would like various rubs/sauces. I prepare it, he just puts it on the grill and takes it off. He just sticks his phone in his pocket; I don't think he would use a case. Anyway, I tried to help but as I started typing I realized I had no ideas either. Hopefully someone will have some good ones for you and I can borrow them Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need peg people for my daughter. Personal swap anyone?
chibilightangel
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012 05:34:56 AM »

a few ideas based on what I might enjoy since I both fish an hunt small game:

purchased: They have a newish multitool for gun repair. It kinda looks like a big pocketknife, but it includes just about all the adjustment and repair tools you could need in the woods to fix any rifle or shotgun.
Does your father like a lot of lures? I personally love new jigs in tons of colors and any new and different lures. I'm even cool with lures from other areas just because they're odd or different.

handmade: Does he have a nice hunting vest with pockets and clips that he could use? Ensure that you're using proper colors and that you use enough of them for the state or province you live in and that the fabric doesn't make noise while walking in the woods.
For small game, you could make a bag or small basket that he can clip to himself to carry game that he's collected while he's hunting.
An embroidered reel cover/protector.
a nice fishing liscence holder/protector (it has to be water proof just in case)
A hunting liscence holder/protector (again semi-waterproof would be best in case he's out in the rain)
A recipe book based on the type of game he hunts.

I think that the handmade cliped towel would be really cool. It could always be a gift set for your parents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012 06:09:17 AM »

I got my husband a fish cleaning board at WalMart that he loves.  It's like a large clipboard.  He may need a new cleaning glove, those get a lot of use and wear.  If you're clever with photoshop, you could design something based on his likes and then upload the image to cafepress and order him a multitude of things.  Does he fish with worms?  We raise our own bait in a compost bin.  Would he wear a safari hat while fishing?  They are great for keeping the sun off.  My dad wears one in his boat.  Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
legatostroke
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012 02:21:47 PM »

I do like those caps, BTW, did you make them?  Smiley

Thanks, chickybiker. I did make them. And thanks for the ideas!

Is your Dad my Dad? Or my husband? He sounds like both of them! LOL

Haha - glad I'm not alone. My mom had plans to get him the trail camera this year. And we've gotten him toy helicopters before too! So..since we have the same challenges--be sure to post here if you think of a genius idea. Smiley

a few ideas based on what I might enjoy since I both fish an hunt small game:

purchased: They have a newish multitool for gun repair. It kinda looks like a big pocketknife, but it includes just about all the adjustment and repair tools you could need in the woods to fix any rifle or shotgun.
Does your father like a lot of lures? I personally love new jigs in tons of colors and any new and different lures. I'm even cool with lures from other areas just because they're odd or different.

handmade: Does he have a nice hunting vest with pockets and clips that he could use? Ensure that you're using proper colors and that you use enough of them for the state or province you live in and that the fabric doesn't make noise while walking in the woods.

Thanks for the ideas and the tips! It's always hard to make sure I'm getting all of the important things right (like colors, etc) since I shoot but don't hunt and prefer to nap in the boat than actually fish. I can't do lures because he's particular about what he uses and it's almost always simple looking things. I did buy him a lure mold he was talking about for father's day but alas, I picked out the wrong size (not knowing there were two) and we had to exchange it.

Do you have a name or a link for the gun tool?

Does he fish with worms?  We raise our own bait in a compost bin. 

Haha--he has a basement fridge that is always filled with worms and fishtank filled with minnows! Thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012 10:38:33 AM »

Gojo Orange Pumice. My FIL saw it, freaked, and bought two; one for him, one for my honey. You could also get him some manly bar soaps.

Almost every year, I make a flannel button-up pajama shirt for my FIL. They're pretty much all he wears to bed in winter, because MIL prefers the thermostat waaaay down. I use Simplicity 7030. For extra credit, use hunting, fishing, and outdoors themed fabrics Cheesy

Since he welds, find out how he organizes his rods. If he's like my hubby and just puts the original containers all in a tin, then perhaps a little shelf like a spice rack, but sized to hold rod containers might work. It sounds like your dad prefers everything to be very organized.

If he buys bags of rags, you could make him a rag dispenser, like what you'd use for grocery bags.

Crap in hat, I'm giving MYSELF ideas! (must.. make.. rag dispenser.......)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mastering the Perfect Omelette
Spam Championship: Shoulder Pork Ham Is a Big Deal, Apparently
Sausage and Peppers Po-Boy Recipe
Apple-Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Lior Lev Secarez: Serving Innovation
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...