A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to machine sew doll clothes?  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 22, 2012 07:22:38 PM »

So, I wanted to start making 1/6 scale clothes for custom figures my husband makes. But how do you guys sew clothes that small? I can make the pattern without issue, but actually sewing it on the machine is proving a little more difficult then I thought. The fabric keeps getting caught in the machine because the fabric is so tiny. Any suggestions? I read that there are needle plates with smaller slits, but I haven't been able to find one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
wwrich
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Elsbeth's Mom

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012 03:07:51 PM »

Sorry, your post is a bit old, but I don't read this board very often....maybe this can still be helpful.

I asked a sort of related question a while ago.  The answer I got was here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=411903.msg4866960#msg4866960

Basically, she suggested that you use tissue paper behind the fabric.  That prevents the machine from "eating" things too much. 

I did a quick test, and it does work pretty well on the small stuff.  I just needed to spend some time picking out the bits of paper that got left behind when I removed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
1CraftyBunnyGal
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012 02:39:01 PM »

There's also sew and tear interfacing. Some people sew dolls or their clothes by tracing onto the fabric layered right sides together, sewing on the lines, then cutting out leaving a seam allowance. You would probably have to hem edges by hand with this method.

I prefer just to sew the shoulder seams first, set in sleeves, and then sew the sleeve and all the way down to the bottom of the shirt or skirt. Pants are sewn front or side seams then inseam, then hem (sometimes on 18" doll clothes I do the hems first.

On really tiny clothing, such as for Barbie-sized dolls, the neck openings (or arm or leg for sleeveless/bathing suit bottom etc.) are the most difficult. One trick I learned is to make a lace or other trim neckline by sewing the lace/trim right side against the right side of the garment front, then you turn it back and topstitch close to the edge. You could also do this with tearaway interfacing or the kind that dissolves in water, then you wouldn't need the lace or trim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -- Colossians 3:17
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Horses
How to Draw Hearts
How to Draw Flames
How to Draw Faces
How to Draw Clothes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...