A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trying out my handmade soap mold  (Read 1877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2011 09:44:30 AM »

Hi everyone Smiley I've been busy cleaning my house as my MIL is coming into town for a visit today Smiley But I have taken the time to try out a few more soap recipes AND my wood soap mold that I made ^_^

To start off, this is my Oni (Demon soap)

It's a recipe that I will be tweaking. Cheesy (I love soaping!). Anyway, it's scented with Dragon's Blood FO and another spicy FO to give it a little kick (the Dragon's Blood needed it). I love this scent! So deeply masculine and great for a manly man! I did add a bit too much black oxide for colorant 'cause it has turned my lather a really light grey tint... so I will know better for next time Smiley I also need to figure out which of my oils is causing the weird marbling effect over the entire soap... I think it's the Palm Kernel flakes or the palm oil because they're the only oils I haven't used before... I find the marbling to be a bit distracting...

Pomegranate Lover soap

Made using shea and cocoa butters and Walmart GV Shortening along with my usual suspects, though my liquid content was 100% pomegranate juice. The brown color comes from the juice as the only other colorant I added was the light gold mica on top of the soap. This was fragranced with Champagne Pomegranate FO from Nature's Garden and Pomegranate and Black Currant FO from Bramble Berry.

Ninja soap

It blends in on your countertop and is quite unassuming... but watch out for its full of chapped skin fighting ingredients! Scented with Fresh Bamboo (love this scent) and also has Bamboo extract for some light exfoliating powers. My TD (white colorant) didn't get fully incorporated, sadly, and I'm still tweaking this recipe as well to get it where I would like it to be!

Castile in the Nude soap

My first Castile (all olive oil) soap. Nothing was added to this at all... so how did I get a swirl? I made two 1 lb batches- one using the lightest color olive oil I could find and the other using the darkest color olive oil I could find- and then simply swirled them together. I think next time, to get a nicer swirl I'm going to use a different ratio of soap other than a 1:1 dark to light... maybe a 2:1 ratio would get a better swirl? What do you think? Anyway, even though there's no added FO, this soap still smells prettily of olive oil with a slightly nutty after-scent ^_^ I really enjoy it!

And last, but not least, my wood mold!

It has 3 sections: 10", 5", and 6" respectively and I put it together using nails, hammer, and my quilting square ^_^;; But I must have done a good job squaring it off because my soaps slip out rather easily even if I can't take any of the sides off to make it easier to slide the soap out... altogether I think this mold cost me a whole $12- I just got three molds for 3x cheaper than I would have gotten one mold online! Woot! All four of the above batches were made using this soap mold and I tried out all three sizes Smiley

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013 09:37:34 AM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011 10:08:56 AM »

What pretty soaps!  I rather like the marbling effect in the first one.  Makes it look like stone.  And what would be more manly then that, washing with stones?
And I love the olive oil soap, sounds like something I could actually use on my overly hyper sensitive skin Cheesy
Beautiful soap making!  One craft art I'm terribly afraid of.  (Caustic solutions? yikes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011 11:04:19 AM »

Wow, love them, especially the first one! And you rocked that mold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ShiehDesignStudio
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011 10:20:11 AM »

Great job on making your first wood mold!  And that Oni soap is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011 08:24:35 AM »

I love them all, but especially the Castille!  I also have super sensitive skin, and can't use anything with scents or additives, so I can't get pretty soap.  But yours I bet I could use!  Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
vixen72
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011 11:06:10 AM »

Great looking soap..I wouldn't know where to begin..Sounds like they all smell wonderful..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011 06:56:56 PM »

I was scanning the page and the thumbnail for your Oni soap made me go, "Wow!"  Truly beautiful--I love the marbling (even if/maybe more because it's unintentional!).  V. clever castile swirl... I'm so impressed!   Even more than a ninja.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013 09:39:24 AM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
theshooter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013 07:50:21 AM »

Cheesy (I love soaping!).

Hi -  Love the soaps you've shown and would like to see more!

Thanks,
Jim

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013 09:34:41 AM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Shadow
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...