A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bunch of Appliqued/Altered Shirts  (Read 1178 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

1watermonkey
« on: September 20, 2012 02:49:36 PM »

I wasn't really sure if I should post this in general clothing or reconstructed clothing but since it wasn't actually taking apart anything I figured here was appropriate. My current hobby is thrifting clothing and altering it usually with applique into something I actually want to wear. It works out well because I find some great stuff in thrift stores and save a ton of money and with a fiance who is in school and a four year old that's always a good thing. Smiley I wanted to share some of my latest projects.

Phoenix Sweater. Started out as a green sweater with a rather unattractive Christmas tree on the front. I make an applique inspired by X-Men and was able to cover it pretty well. There are a few issues still but it's going to be warm and comfy for me this fall. Smiley

Another X-Men one, I love Grant Morrison's run of New X-Men and this and the phoenix sweater were inspired by that. This was a plain black turtleneck sweater from Goodwill.

This one is a little hard to see. It's a Batman sweater meant to be subtle with black on dark grey but in the light it's hard to see. Regardless I love it and it's 100% merino wool which means it's super soft and comfy. Again another goodwill buy. Smiley

This one is a little image heavy. I bought this dress at a local thrift store for $3, there was a pretty big tear and scuffed spot on the bottom but I loved the polkadots and I don't often find cute knee length dresses in my size. So I repaired the holes as well as I could, covered that spot up with a big bow and added an anchor applique. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out although I still need to do some more handstitching on the bow to get it to sit exactly where I want it.

The Before

After

A thrifted cardigan appliqued with Legend of Zelda life hearts. I'm missing a half Wink

And lastly these are two that were not made for myself to wear as they were too small but still two I really liked once they were finished.

Appliqued Vest

And a blue cardigan with Atashi from Chobits. I love this so much and am on the lookout for a soft blue cardigan in my size to do one for me. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012 03:06:00 PM »

These rock! I think my favorite is the Zelda cardigan ^_^

Have you seen Hanie Mohd's Superheroines/villains in Sweaters? (I'm doing the Catwoman one for one of my Halloween costumes.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
Helena Puck
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012 07:06:43 PM »

Love these, especially the Phoenix sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
1watermonkey
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012 09:12:04 PM »

Thank you for the nice comments! Smiley 

Tatterhood, I had never seen those. They're really cool! I might have to make one similar to the Harley Quinn, she's one of my favorite Bat characters. That or the Catwoman one, I also love the Batgirl one... hmm lots of great ideas there, thanks for the link! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baja Style Fried Lobster Recipe
How to Make a Bison Burger
Grilled Large Clam Recipe
Dorado Fish in Salsa Sauce Recipe
Scallops in Vinaigrette Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...