A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calculating Shipping  (Read 434 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadojake
« on: January 22, 2015 12:05:59 PM »

I am new to etsy and trying to figure shipping when using UPS.  I do custom travertine coasters.  Each set (4) weighs about 2.5 lbs.  To send one can cost upwards of $11.00-$15.00.

I sent three sets today for a total of about $14.00.  Yes, all three sets were in one box and the total was about $14.00.  How can I set up shipping in an accurate way on Etsy?  I really want to do this Etsy shop right.  I don't want to rip off customers when it comes to shipping.

I am not sure this is the place to ask this question.  If not, please direct me.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015 03:13:37 AM »

Cindy, can you fit the tiles into the small Priority Mail boxes? Because it's one price no matter how much it weighs. It's under $5.95 to ship, and you can order the boxes free for however many you want at USPS.com. The size is 5-3/8" wide x 8-5/8" long x 1-5/8" deep.
And the carrier will pick them up too.

Here's a hint to get the sales. Up your price about $3 and advertise free shipping if the tiles fit in the box. Yeah, you're getting $3 less overall, but you'll get more orders.

Ever since I've had my website, it's always been free shipping.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015 03:15:25 AM by Chris in VT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
shadojake
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015 01:02:23 PM »

Chris,

Thanks for the tip about the USPS.  However we want to offer a tracking number that actually tracks something, unlike the USPS.  UPS gives a tracking number without having to ask specifically for it and without having to pay extra.  I know they charge more.  We have UPS pick up at our store everyday.  That means I do not have to go anywhere or wait on the USPS to pick up from me.

None of the shippers will guarantee packages won't get knocked around so that factor is out of the picture.  We do have our own packing boxes already that we can also use for transport to/from shows.  The coasters fit perfectly in them.  We have boxes that accommodate anywhere from 1-4 sets of coasters.  We got them from Uline and good sturdy boxes.

From what I understand, the USPS has an additional fee for tracking.  Also I understand that is actuality it does not track as well as the UPS tracking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015 04:08:47 PM »

The tracking fee for Priority is free and I get a number on the receipt with each package I send. The receipt even tells me the arrival date of the package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trimming the Clay Cylinder
Throwing the Clay
Preparing the Clay for Throwing
How to Throw Clay on a Pottery Wheel
How to Make a Dancing Wire Figure - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...