A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating a bedroom with modern furniture & vintage/antique accents!?  (Read 992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bakesaurus
« on: September 16, 2012 05:50:48 PM »

Hey guys! So, hunny and I just got our first house! After several months of heated debate (while we were still looking for a house!) about how we wanted to interior design, we finally settled for making a deal. He gets to design the living room, I get the master bedroom.. And we pick out the furniture together.

Problem being, we both love modern(ish) furniture. So now we have a beautiful bedroom set we went out and bought, and I've no idea what to do with it! He took the living room with the furniture we picked and made it very nature-esque (hunny is a conservation biologist and breeds birds/frogs/turtles in his spare time as well as growing orchids so this is riiiight up his alley). Me on the other hand.. I'm obsessed with my cats and brightly colored dinosaurs.. Not really a neutral ground for our bedroom, eh? Although hunny keeps teasing me about making a photo frame collage of my cats, more on that later.

I'd like to do as much of this as I can myself (diy!), and pick up a few second hand pieces here and there perhaps. I want vintage! I don't however want pin-up girls in my bedroom. Everything I found on Google was all "vintage furniture with modern accents". Yeah? Well I'm ass backwards and I want vintage with my modern, haha.

I'm currently working on our bedding, which will be a black and white scroll pattern. Bright blue accent pillows, blah blah.

We have a reading nook in the room, which I'll be making a cushion for that matches the bedding.. Above the nook, there are hooks in the ceiling? He wants to hang live plants.. I'm thinking I could make something really creative, with a vintage feel, and something with lights.. Old wire bird cages turned into lighting? Any ideas?

I'd like to make a collage, like he teases, of my cats. Maybe throw in a few pictures of the kids, the parents, us, whatever. (Mainly us and the cats since we're the only four who live here!) Ideas for vintage-ing photo frames? Collages?

Picture frames, artwork, etc? Really any ideas to liven the place up would be awesome as I'm completely blank right now! Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012 05:52:50 PM by bakesaurus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
StitchWench
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012 06:39:39 AM »

On a recent home dec show a wire bird cage was turned into a light shade. I hope the following makes sense.

The bottom was cut off the cage just above the last wire running horizontally at the bottom. The wires running from top to bottom (vertically) were left long, these were then coiled up to to make cute curlicues at the bottom of the shade which is now the next horizontal wire up.

HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selenavaz
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012 12:59:28 AM »

You can match up your bedroom by decorating the bathroom with vintage vanity or antique vanity and fittings like faucets etc. This will give a uniform theme to both the bathroom and the bedroom. This can be completed by Lamps that add on to the effect of the vintage feel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shainakhan
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012 11:48:55 PM »

On a recent home dec show a wire bird cage was turned into a light shade. I hope the following makes sense.

The bottom was cut off the cage just above the last wire running horizontally at the bottom. The wires running from top to bottom (vertically) were left long, these were then coiled up to to make cute curlicues at the bottom of the shade which is now the next horizontal wire up.

HTH

I hope you've snaps of decorative cage, please post some of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Blanket Stitch
How to Create Your Own Party Bag
How to Sew Your Own Personalized Apron
How to Sew a Cute Little Purse
How to Fold a Table Napkin into a Rose
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...