A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice needed, love jersey wrap dresses, need suggestions for winter  (Read 800 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 07, 2012 04:52:07 AM »

I am about 5'9'' tall and fairly large, big boobs hips and a bit of a tummy, probably a L or Xl all over, but because I am tall, i carry it off, since I have long legs.

I wear a lot of wrap dresses, jersey, because they are so flattering, Skirts, I wear above the knee a-line mostly.

Summer time is easy because I can wear flat sandals. But winter is coming and I am a professor, so a lot of my day I will be standing up lecturing. I tend to default to jeans and boots for the winter (very informal dress code in the engineering department). But I would like to smarten my winter wardrobe up a bit and wear more skirts.

I do love heels, but they are impractical for work, so I need dresses/skirts that will work with flats, either flat boots, or shoes. I would love the winter equivalent of a wrap dress, something that is soft, comfy and very flattering....any ideas? Or have you seen a dress pattern that is a wrap dress but made with something heavier than jersey. I suspect that jersey works so well because of the drape that skims over my problem tummy....

ideas, if you have them, would be gratefully received!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012 01:35:39 PM »

Why not switch to a wool double knit and wear leggings? Wool is awesomely warm in winter while surprisingly cool in summer. It does this weird thing where air exchange is rather slow but moisture still evaporates through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anne842
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012 08:24:18 AM »

Maybe try something like this wrap style knit dress? http://www.loungelover.com/shopping/women/designer-loungewear-poupees-russes-wrap-dress-in-silver-grey-item-10237302.aspx - it also comes in a lovely 'cappuccino' colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012 04:07:05 AM »

oh pretty..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dfabbric
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012 01:43:45 PM »

I just bought some fairly heavy jersey knit for a wrap dress on my own. Using a thicker fabric would help, you could also wear knee high boots.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012 09:09:52 AM »

I know sleeveless is popular right now, but adding long sleeves makes any garment warmer.

Adding a lining increases warmth. Or maybe you could find a heavier jersey.

Or, you could go with a pattern that uses woven fabrics, and a nice wool crepe. This pattern works with wovens, and the collar gives it a slighlty more tailored look than the average wrap dress.
http://www.sewingpatterns.com/sub_item.php?item_num=1686SIM&model=&new_category=&view=gallery&brand=Simplicity&category=new_releases&pageGoto=0&pageFormat=3|186|186&pageCount=18&search=&return=yes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Open and Save .DNG Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View Image Metadata
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop and Upsample Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Brightness, Contrast and Saturation
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Exposure and Shadow Levels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...