A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first Hand Etched Spoon Pendant ^_^  (Read 6420 times)
Tags for this thread: pendant , spoon , etched , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Oralabora
« on: September 14, 2012 07:46:57 PM »

I always wanted to hand etch metal with my Dremel but until now I didn't know how to do it or what metal to use. I normally etch on glass but recently I noticed that spoon jewelry has become very popular so I thought it would be a great idea to etch and paint on the spoons. I looked and I looked and I looked but I could not find any one who was etching spoons with a Dremel so I wasn't sure if it could be done. So I thought I am am just going to try to etch a spoon and see what turns out. I will admit it was scary lol because etching metal with a Dremel is not like etching glass. It is a little more challenging and my heart was beating fast. My first few pieces turned out pretty good then I made this one and I looooove it ^_^ Now that I know what to expect and I still have all my fingers I can't wait to make more. I hope you like it ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbrison
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012 07:56:22 PM »

Very cute! Will you be posting a tutorial? Bet I'm not the only one curious about your procedure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
109/50 in 2014, 47/50 in 2013
Quilt Block Swap 6 - sewing
Mini 12 Days of Christmas- collecting supplies
Oralabora
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012 08:13:02 PM »

Thank you... Wow I never thought about doing a tutorial. lol I only did a few so far. I am still working on my process but I will give making a tutorial a lot of thought. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012 11:54:22 PM »

This is lovely.  I love the little flowers and the way you wrapped a crystal round the handle with wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oralabora
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012 12:22:25 AM »

Thank you very much ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

singersullivan
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012 05:13:12 AM »

This is VERY nice! What kind of paint did you use on it? Did you poly or top coat it as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oralabora
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012 05:43:35 PM »

Thank you... I only etched and used enamel paint. I tested it and it don't wash off so I am happy ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunfilly
Sew Sonny

"imagination is worth more then knowledge"Albert E

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012 09:48:01 AM »

wow I applaud you that came out really nice. I think the spoon shape lends itself well to jewelry because of the shape. You have really stepped it up a notch now. I only have one suggestion, it would look really nice with a ribbon/and or leather cord, maybe in the same color as the flowers the red that would really complete it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DLPuckettDesigns

"What is in my minds eye flows though my body and then through my finger tips. That is me and my art."
Sonny Puckett
Oralabora
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012 05:20:05 PM »

Wooow Thank you for the suggestion. That is a great idea. I am going to try ribbon and a cord to see which one I like best ^_^ I never done this before so this is all new to me. Thanks again for the tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunfilly
Sew Sonny

"imagination is worth more then knowledge"Albert E

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012 10:20:27 PM »

great and don't be afraid to mix it up use both a ribbon and a leather cord together, or ribbon and chain, ribbon and fabric cord so many possibilities. since the pendant is big, use  several small cords combos together or one bigger cord to balance it out. Depending on the diameter of the cords, you can go from 1-3 cords for the necklace part. Cant wait to see more you make. So lovely. And I hope I am not over stepping my boundaries, but the crystal on the top maybe use a color from the enamels a red crystal?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012 10:29:48 PM by sunfilly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DLPuckettDesigns

"What is in my minds eye flows though my body and then through my finger tips. That is me and my art."
Sonny Puckett
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Skin Benefits for Using Retinol
How to Determine Your Skin Type
Why You Should Buy Korean Beauty Products
Foods That Are Aging Your Skin
Star Magazine’s Spring Beauty Forecast
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...