A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,984
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: City swap?/Area swap  (Read 6557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2005 06:25:29 PM »

I dont know how this is going to go over, but I have an idea for a "city swap" it came to me in a half-dream type of thing lol. How about this concept: Make something for your partner that is representative of your city or country (if different than the partner) with any craft. I think it would be interesting!

It has become more of an AREA swap (if you live in a small town), but I would still like to see you showcase the city YOU live in as at least a secondary theme.

*edit* Here are some highlights of the transformations of this idea for those of you who don't want to read everything in the following abundance of pages but are new to this concept...

Here are the rough ideas that may be included in the send out.

1 open project to do whatever (or more if u like) related to the city of course!
1 CD/tape of a local band (optional because not everyone knows a local band)
1 recipe of something that's commonly eaten where you live (cool? yay? or nay? lol)
1 postcard from the city
1 souveneir (cheap! or make your own from inspiration of local souveneirs...if u can find any cause I know some of you might live in a small town)

Any other ideas? I don't want to have too much on the list, and I want it to be simple :-D This might not even be the actual list...

The main idea of it all...

I really do just want this swap to be about YOUR town/area. And what kind of bands play, the food your city eats at home - for example, I live in southern texas, and all of us here eat Tex-mex food, and I could give some recipes of that, burn some music of my favorite local band, get some info of the x-games, and the tourist attractions over here (we're really becoming one)...and stuff like that. I will most definitely take pictures, even though I don't see my City as being all that great, I want other people to know about it because they might think it's beautiful. Something that I take for granted everyday they may love to visit or move to.

When you sign up, when sign ups do start (I'm telling you this to get you ready) I want to know what area/city(your city and surrounding big cities if it's just a small town/city you live in) you are from, and where you would like to receive from.

Keep in mind, I cannot please everyone with a specific request,  but if you let it be known then you will have a better chance at it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005 12:42:53 PM by humblestumble » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
artxinxlies

don't.fall.in.love.with.everyone.you.see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005 06:35:56 PM »

that would be cool and you could maybe include brochures from sights around your town or something like that! MAYBE even a c.d. with songs from artists from your town? eh eh eh? lol maybe i'm getting a little bit too into this idea but it sounds fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005 07:23:11 AM »

I like it too.  You could define a few things that must be included, like local music, a touristy souveneir, a recipe for a local specialty, and a crafted item with the city theme. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
grrlfriday
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005 07:26:11 AM »

I think this is a fantastic idea, you could even ask people what part of the world, or country they would be interested in getting stuff from (ie: somewhere sunny, a capital city, etc.)

I would definetely sign up for this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JazzyBee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005 07:31:08 AM »

i think this is great idea.. i'am from India. and the city i stay is is much like...NY i guess..and there is soooo many lovely things about the city...i would love for others to know as well!

fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would just like to thank the academy for nominating me......
Writer78
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005 08:25:54 AM »

I'm originally from Chicago (live in the suburbs now) and am a huge fan of my own city!  I might just sign up for this one, depending on how other commitments pan out.

I think this swap would be best if we based it on the area where we currently live (either the city you're in or a nearby big city).  That way, we can provide authentic little details that only a native would know.  (I'd rather get quirky, authentic stuff from a city that I'm not drawn to than have generic stuff based on Paris or London, made by someone who's never been there.)  Somebody on craftster made a CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) ticket stub purse; that's the kind of thing I think would be cool, because you can only get those stubs if you are in Chicago, and you'd only think of it if you were from Chicago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ParanoidEv
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005 08:32:10 AM »

That would be a really cute idea! I wouldn't do my 'city' but I'd prefer to do my province. I am from Zeeland in The Netherlands and we have a lot of typical things. Who whould like some mussels??  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put your hay on the ground and your sexy legs in the air! You have the right to remain wheeking for pellets!
sleepywalkin
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005 09:18:22 AM »

wow, i had the same idea!  obviously, i think it's a great one.  you could even try to match people up with cities they are interested in.  might be complicated, though.  i'd be in for august or september.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - oscar wilde
frenchkitty83
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005 09:23:55 AM »

This sounds like fun!!! i know i would join it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005 01:50:25 PM »

Wow! So many responses! Well, unfortunately since I have never been involved in a swap before except for an ongoing one right now, I can't host this one (and I don't really know what's involved!) But you guys are a motivated bunch! If any of you have experience or are willing and know how to jump the gun on this one (be a host person for the swap) GO FOR IT! Wink I'd love to, just don't know if I could follow through with it or if I could even do it, since I am only involved with an ongoing swap. Unless someone wants to coach me and I can be an "apprentice" this time?

I will be organizing this one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005 12:34:20 PM by humblestumble » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shut Off Your Water If Your Pipes Burst
Fixture in Your Bathroom Can Be a Fire Hazard
How to Prevent Ice Damming
How To Prepare For The Next Big Storm
How to Draw a Maze
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...