A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ♥ Kitty Ears Headband & Tutorial  (Read 2007 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dolly Mixx
« on: September 13, 2012 05:56:34 AM »

I saw some similar ears on ASOS & used them for inspiration to make these, saving myself 12. I shared the tut on my blog earlier, but thought some of you here might be interested too. Pic below is of me wearing a purple diamante pair I made the other day, sorry the pic isn't clearer, didn't get any good closeups!

TUTORIAL

Step One - Gather all your supplies, as pictured above. I would recommend the ribbon to be about 10mm wide, but it's really up to you. I used basic satin ribbon, but you can use pretty much any type. The decorations can also be pretty much anything, not just pearls, but diamantes, flower cabochons, tiny buttons, funky beads, anything you like.

Step 2 - Cut a length of wire about 20cm long. Wrap around your headband where you want the ears to start, as pictured.

Step 3 - After wrapping, bend the wire into a basic kitty ear shape, & then secure at the other end by wrapping it around the headband again.

Step 4 - Repeat on other side.

Step 5 - If your wire is quite thin, you might want to consider repeating the last 2 steps & adding a second layer of wire over the top of your kitty ear, just to strengthen it.

Step 6 - Now cut a length of ribbon, approximately 30 cm or so, & glue the end to the start of the wire. Then wrap around the headband & up onto the "ear" wire, glueing to secure as you go along.

Step 7 - Keep going until you have completely covered all the wire. Repeat for other ear.Remember to keep glueing the ribbon down as you wrap, or it will unravel!

Step 8 - Cut 2 little lengths of ribbon, about 6cm long, & glue over the ends of the headband.

Step 9 - Now gather a long bit of ribbon, around a metre, & glue to the end of your headband. Then start wrapping, covering the entire headband base. Glue the ribbon down as you go.

You should have something that looks like this when you are done!

Step 10 - The fun part! Glue your decorations onto the ear sections. I used 18 pearls & spaced them out along the wire, but you could completely cover them if you wanted. Or alternate diamantes and pearls, etc etc!

Done! Hope that was helpful to some of you, & do ask if there's anything I haven't made clear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012 01:08:08 PM »

Great tutorial.  If I had a little girl to make one for, I make one of these in a heartbeat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012 02:06:45 PM »

I'm going to make one of these for my teenaged daughter. She loves cosplay and going to anime conventions! Heck, she would wear these just going out with her friends. Hmm....and I have three little nieces, 2, 5, and 7-if I have time, they might get these, too! Thanks for posting the easy to follow tutorial! Bookmarked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Coupon code CRAFTSTER for 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
‘Top Chef’ Host Perfects Stir Fry
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kha Gai) Recipe
Filipino Dinner Roll Recipe (Pandesal)
Cooking With Miso
Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...