A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempts at making clothing patterns. (And a motif?)  (Read 1320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phantasmafreud
« on: September 12, 2012 08:14:42 PM »

So, I mostly make Amigurumi. Then one day I'm like, wait, if ami's are round....and hats are round....I CAN MAKE HATS. *mind blown*

So I did, lol. Before that though, I came up with a plan for the types of things I wanted to make. I knew it had to be video game related, of course. Problem is, I also wanted my hats/etc. to be really wearable, and not super costume-y so I could use them everyday. And I then decided that the patterns had to be customizable, so they could be turned into non-gaming accessories with a few color changes, or by altering a few lines of the pattern, so that way I would get bang-for-my-buck so to speak. This lead me to making a Legend of Zelda hat to start, since I thought it would be a good beginner project and a lot of people seem to have made them before so why couldn't I?

For it I used an olive yarn instead of a sharp green yarn since I thought it would make for a cool hat in general, not just a cool zelda hat. Plus it looks better on brown hair to me (which I have). Still keeping it with the theme, just in a fashionable way lol. Also it's kinda slouchy. I then took this pattern and used it make a normal purple slouch hat.

For some reason I don't like too much slouch, so it's not super baggy. Also, on both hats I made up this stitch thingy. Is this technically a motif or something else? Here's a pic...

It's that shape above the band. It kinda looked like a temple to me when I made it, like the fpdc's are the columns and the shell at the top is a dome, so I'm calling it my "temple stitch." Has anybody else made up something like this before? If not maybe I should creative commons license it lol!!! I doubt it though, I'm not original at all  Roll Eyes

I also made some LoZ gloves that match the hat and have a triforce on the left hand (just like link does), and some earwarmers designed after Aigis, a robot character from Persona 3.

Thanks for looking!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012 09:15:54 PM »

Great that you are venturing into crochet clothes. Once you get started there will be no stopping you. And dresses and tops can be worked in the round too.  I like your little motif.  You could have it as a signature motif on whatever you make - then everyone would know it was something you had done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012 11:16:03 PM »

I want the LoZ hat because it's awesome! Cheesy
I'm such an LoZ nerd XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veggiechef
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012 11:15:21 AM »

Wow..sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I love the idea of the "signature motif."  Great work on these accessories! The Zelda hat is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
RenJac1301
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012 07:34:16 PM »

OH! I LOVE the 2 hats
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Bright, Glitter Nail Art Looks
British Sensation Jessie Ware Tells Us Her Best Travel Beauty Tricks
How to Make a Cheddar Beer Pumpkin Dip and Beer-Can Chicken
Million Dollar Critic: Charleston, I Know You Got Soul Food
Orlando Tops List of Most Affordable Foodie Cities
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...