A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I get over my intense hatred of pinning and cutting out pattern pieces??  (Read 1192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 12, 2012 09:36:33 AM »

So I've clothes from pattern before. I'm getting to be a decent seamstress.

But why, WHY do I hate cutting and pinning patterns so much??

I'm not sure what it is about it, but I dread it, I hate it the whole time I'm doing it, and I always find that I just can't wait to get to the actual sewing. and it keeps me from making stuff as much as I'd like to.

Like right now. I have beautiful fabric, all the notions and thread, and the pattern for a button down blouse (I've even made them before, just from a different pattern, so I know I have to follow this one)
and yet here I sit on the couch, looking at sewing blogs, avoiding making anything.

Does anyone else feel this way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bella84
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012 06:15:22 PM »

Hey!
I'm not nearly as experienced as you are (I've seen a bit of the work you've posted on here and it's always lovely, by the way), but I always tend to feel this way. I have a few new patterns and the fabric already prepped for them, but I can't seem to make myself get going on them.
This probably won't resonate with you (given that you've accomplished more than I have), but I think my main problem is that I'm afraid to cut up my beautiful fabric (some of them are really pretty). I hope my fear fades as I get used to the process.
What about playing your most favourite happy music while you cut and pin? Or maybe a cool audiobook? They might help distract the part of your brain that isn't happy with the cutting and pinning activity.
Either way, good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012 12:56:40 PM »

Eurodance (specifically Chromanova), and no one else home Cheesy

Can't stand trying to do tricky cutting with two boys yelling across the house at each other about the video game de jour, and any music around 140 beats per minute is really energizing. I used to listen to Eurodance for doing homework and writing essays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThePenguinTheory
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012 04:39:29 PM »

I do the same, I'm not a big fan of the cutting out or more like I can never motivate myself to do it! The sewing is fine haha! Being tougher on myself now though. I want to get lots of things made before christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute and Quirky Handmade Items!

Etsy
Blog
Facebook
Pinterest
pythoness
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012 10:28:45 AM »

You are not alone.  I find that part to be boring and tedious, too.  I just put on a movie (preferably something I've seen before and something that makes me happy to hear) or re-runs and carry on.  I was just reading a psychology piece about how re-watching movies we like can help lift your mood. 

I especially hate how I always screw something up - even if it's a really minor thing - and I have to figure out how to un-screw-up my mistake.  (It's especially annoying when it's the pattern maker's fault, not mine.  I can't tell you how many times I've found errors.  I now remind myself to read the pattern through before cutting a single thing.  My favorite one was when I was lining a corset and I only realized after I had cut the parts that the manufacturer's instructions had the lining fabric facing the wrong way.  Luckily, this was inside a corset, so no one was ever going to see it but the wearer, but still. That was annoying.)

I guess it's like knitting and crocheting patterns - the pros know to read them first, to figure out where there are errors - because there's usually something in there that is going to drive you bonkers and make you rip out stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Renstar
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012 02:38:42 PM »

I have just been going through this same thing.  I bought a pattern and fabric back in February to make a winter coat.  Since then I have totally been putting off making it.  Unfortunately here in UK, our summer has been pants and autumn briskness has come so early.

So, today, with a whole load of procrastination, I have finally cut the pieces out, (didn't help that I needed a mannequin for such a job and needed to resize the pattern - user error on that part).

It took me ages because I was scared of ruining fabric.  The goal of today was to get the pieces cut - they are done. Next step, to put them together and finalise sizes.  It is a scary process and thank goodness I have online support from various friends to keep me in the right direction.

It is the painful part of trying to sew. Oh and I wish I could have at least some confidence that it will turn out right!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012 03:29:02 PM »

You are so not alone - I'm right there with you! Is it on the grain? Am I cutting the right size? Did the fabric just shift? Generally what happens is that I get so annoyed with myself, I just forge ahead. I try to keep reminding myself that all of that fabric could become prey to the damp in the lower half of my house and wouldn't I be better off just using it? Even if I stuff it up, at least it wouldn't be wasted. (Doesn't always work though, it's a continual effort.) Just keep telling yourself "There's always more great fabric out there."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012 07:49:01 AM »

I totally hate cutting things out as well, not only do I hate the process (and therefore take lots of shortcuts), but I also get really anxious about the possibility of making mistakes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
CarinaJo
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012 03:03:08 PM »

I've been trying to work my way up to sewing with a pattern and the process of laying, pinning & cutting a pattern is always the part that stops me. I'm really afraid of messing up the fabric, cutting the wrong size lines, laying it wrong, shifting the fabric, what if the pattern is made wrong.... etc.... People say to read the pattern through but I have no experience with patterns so it could be completely wrong and I won't know until I'm trying to sew it together.
My solution has been to use the cheap patterns that cost less than a dollar at Wal-Mart and thrifted fabric. Happy music or a favorite movie playing in the background also helps me. Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Greeting Cards for the Holiday
Art of Basket Weaving
How to Do Indian Embroidery
Vera Nakonechny on Ukrainian Embroidery
Learn About Ukrainian Embroidery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...