A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool blanket as batting?  (Read 1414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss American Pie
« on: September 12, 2012 05:08:58 AM »

This is not exactly about quilting, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to open up an old comforter and stick an old wool blanket inside. Then sew it back up and get cozy. Does this sound feasible for a novice?

It was unseasonably cold last night and my landlord hasn't turned on the heat yet, so I found myself freezing even under two (polyfill) comforters. I tossed and turned for hours, trying to warm up and fall asleep, until I had the brilliant idea to throw my vintage 100% wool coat over the comforters and curl up under it. Bam! Instantly warm and cozy! I fell asleep within minutes.

Then this morning I looked online for a wool blanket, but they're expensive! There are some cheaper blends, but 100% wool did the trick, so 100% wool is what I want. I found some on ebay for quite cheap, but I feel weird using someone else's old blanket on my bed. Blankets can be kind of personal, and wool absorbs stuff in a way I don't want to think about when I'm trying to sleep...

SO, my plan is to buy a cheap ugly warm cozy 100% wool blanket, open up the elder of my two comforters, and sew it in (along with the polyester batting) The only "quilting" on the comforter is 7 or eight vertical lines of machine stitching, which would probably be easy to take out to get the blanket in, and then redo to keep it in place, right? I've never made a quilt or blanket before, and I don't have much experience working with wool, but I'm good at sewing. Does this sound do-able? Are there any giant flaws in my brilliant plan? I would really appreciate some input from experienced quilters and blanket-makers! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012 08:14:08 AM »

Hi there! It might be doable but it sounds like quite a bit of work. Smiley Have you considered just buying a duvet cover and putting the wool blanket inside of that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Miss American Pie
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012 03:29:38 PM »

Have you considered just buying a duvet cover and putting the wool blanket inside of that?

This got me thinking! I don't want to buy a duvet cover, but maybe I could turn the comforter into a kind of duvet cover. That would make washing so much easier! Cause I could unbutton it, take out the wool interior, and just machine wash and dry the poly/cotton cover without having to worry about shrinking or hang-drying. Haha, though turning the comforter into a duvet cover would actually be more work... still, it's a pretty comforter and I like repurposing and extending the life of things, so it would be worth it to me.

Does anyone have advice on making duvet covers? Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuthieG101
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012 01:36:08 AM »

I just came along your post and I did have an idea if you are still looking.

What if you added a new back piece to your quilt? That way you wouldn't have to take out any of the stitching. It would be like a pocket on the back that you would put the wool blanket into. That way If you got too hot, you could use the quilt without the wool blanket inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What You Need to Change About Your Hair Routine This Winter
How to Do a Plaited Updo
Sleek Ponytail Hair Tutorial
How To Get "Sombre" and Balayage Hair
The Best Hair Treatments You Can Buy or DIY
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...