A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home-built mechanical finger prosthetic  (Read 10539 times)
Tags for this thread: prosthetic , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OBudah
I like to make wearable things out of things that aren't wearable.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012 09:13:48 AM »

This is phenomenal in every way, and your desire to share it with the world just proves what an incredible person you are.

You should put this on Instructables, you're guaranteed to get a huge response, spread the word even more, and you could probably win some contests [if you so chose].
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012 05:50:42 PM »

You make me wish I had gobs of money to throw at you to finance your projects and travel expenses Smiley You are the bees knees, sir!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarachk
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012 07:17:03 PM »

This is SO worthy of sharing :O) It makes my heart so happy to hear the story behind your awesome project. It fills my soul with glee to learn that you are sharing it so freely. What an amazing gift!!! I will be sharing this with my Book of Face peeps. They will appreciate this and enjoy it immensely.

I now would like some of this Thermoplastic to play with! Your mechanical explanation is really cool. How incredibly thoughtful of you to share such a thing across 10,000 miles and with total strangers for no monetary gain. This is what being human is all about. Art, compassion and connection. I am excited to check out the progress and thank you for the linky-link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
Roxy1976
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012 02:35:03 AM »

What an incredible piece of engineering and a heart - warming gesture! I heart you!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pingino Rodrguez

Beaded jewellery, knitted and crocheted items and needlework, some with Latin-inspired themes, some not!

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Roxy
brookem
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012 03:59:07 AM »

Hey, I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for putting this into the public domain. I really hope this approach helps you to create the best possible prosthesis for your friend and that it can help others in the future. My family has had some involvement with the Prosthetics Outreach Foundation and I have had firsthand experience of the importance of affordable prosthetic devices- I've met people for whom their prosthesis is the only reason they can work and therefore eat/provide for their families. With any luck your design could have a similar impact in people's lives, and that's awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
enola
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012 12:54:55 PM »

I see that you said you were not going to patent this idea/invention/prosthetic.  I think that it would be a good idea to patent it, only so that the information does remain free and no one else can take your ideas and then patent them away from you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything starts as someone's daydream. ~ Larry Niven
Our Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Carpenterdon
Pinteresthttp://www.pinterest.com/wenoah
ChainCrafts
Archaic Artisan

The Nyckelharpa is a lovely, strange beast!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012 08:55:24 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for all the kind words and encouragement! Cheesy I'll be certain to share updates on here after Rich and I work together in person in November.

This community is wonderful and I greatly appreciate it. I'm pretty silent on here, more of one of the "watchers", but I love browsing through all the incredible projects that the creative folks on here produce. I can't list the number of times I've come to enjoy and be inspired by the artwork of the craftster community!

So, again, THANK YOU!!! Cheesy

I see that you said you were not going to patent this idea/invention/prosthetic.  I think that it would be a good idea to patent it, only so that the information does remain free and no one else can take your ideas and then patent them away from you.

I appreciate your excellent point and concern. What Richard and I have done to protect the designs from that very real possibility is to release the designs publicly so that they are protected under an IP legal concept known as "Prior Art" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_art

By making the designs available publicly no entity, Richard and I included, can claim exclusive rights to the concept Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

white_lilyblossom
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012 01:38:38 PM »

That is amazing. To be able to make something like that... It's above art, it's truly a gift. And how wonderful are you, just giving away this knowledge for other people's benefit when you've worked so hard on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted to beads
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012 03:48:33 PM »

it warms my heart to see such crafty altruism. there are too many brilliant ideas locked up from view that could serve so many people, and truly change the world, so i am glad you have chosen to keep the creativity flowing. i hope the generosity of spirit that you two have shared returns to you ten-fold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CDEeeek
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012 06:12:35 AM »

Saw this article and wonder if this design would help this guy? I don't know how you all would team up, but it sounds like he is a very optimistic person. He lost four fingers. There is a graphic photo of his hand now.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/us/idaho-finger-in-trout/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Off Book: The Birth of the Animated GIF Medium
Off Book: Arts and Creative Projects in the Internet Age
Working with the New Basics Panel
How to Draw Gemma Arterton from Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters
How to Draw Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...