A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: What's your favorite entry in Craft Challenge #79, Super Ugly to Super Awesome?  (Voting closed: October 17, 2012 10:36:41 AM)
A sad horse to a rockin' horse - 8 (9.9%)
Crazy Ugly to Crazy Sexy: Dress Refashion! - 4 (4.9%)
Crock Pot Mosaic - 0 (0%)
Fork You Tape Monster!! - 7 (8.6%)
From Old Beat Up Lamp to Ooo La La Lamp - 20 (24.7%)
Hideous Freak Baby Into CUTE Franken Kitty: It's ALIVE!!! - 21 (25.9%)
My Little Halloween Pony??? (Pic heavy!!!!) - 18 (22.2%)
Sad T-shirt to Cute Tote Bag (Pic Heavy) - 3 (3.7%)
UGLY AWESOME: High-end "boot" mod! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [FINISHED] Craft Challenge #79 - Super Ugly to Super Awesome 4 Due Oct 1-8  (Read 23597 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2012 08:46:52 AM »

Craft Challenge #79 - Super Ugly to Super Awesome Round 4 - Entries Due Oct 1 - 8

Winner Announced!

Our winner this month is... WingsOfClay!

Her entry titled, "Hideous Freak Baby Into CUTE Franken Kitty: It's ALIVE!!!" is a crazy awesome creation from an old doll figurine.
Check out her full project thread here.  Be sure to congratulate her! Smiley

It's Time to Vote!

Scroll up to see the voting poll.  You must be logged in to vote.  One vote per member.

It's Time to Enter!

To post your entry, please start a new topic for it here on this board.  Click NEW TOPIC on this board to post your entry! Smiley

Entries must be posted by Oct 8 11:59:59 PDT 2012.

If you are a new member, and cannot post images yet, please just post a direct link to your image(s) in your post.  A friendly neighborhood Moderator will come along and update your post to embed the image(s) for you.

It's Ugly to Awesome time again!  For a refresher of past rounds, check out Round 3, Round 2 and Round 1.

Your challenge this month is to spend $20 or less at a thrift store and buy something super ugly, tacky or otherwise abominable and revamp it into something totally awesome.  You must take at least one photo of the item in its original state, so we can see both the before and the after.  Your purchase can be a piece of artwork, clothing, figurine, statue, platter, furniture -- whatever!  You decide.  You can purchase more than one item at the thrift store as long as your total is $20 or less, and your items somehow come together in the same theme of the project.  If you're not located in the U.S., you can spend the equivalent of $20 USD in your own currency.

Additional Rules and Details:

• Craft your project during this challenge period (Sep 10 2012 - Oct 8 2012) only.  Projects created before this timeframe will be excluded from the voting poll.
  • On Oct 1 2012, there will be a special folder created for entries.  Post your entry on the specified entry board during the period of Oct 1 - 8 11:59:59 PDT 2012.  No sooner.  No later.
  • Voting will happen from Oct 9 - 16 2012.
  • The winner will be officially announced on the first business Monday of the next month -- in our November newsletter, on this thread and on the Craftster blog.  We will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement, to get your prize package information.
  • Enter only ONE project.  Your entry can have multiple components to it.
  • If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.

Originality:

It's probably impossible to know whether your project is 100% original, has never been posted on Craftster, or made by anyone else in the past.  But if your project was definitely inspired by something you've seen before, please give credit to that project. Smiley

Prizes:

At the end, I'll set up a poll right here and the first place winner (US or non-US) will get:

(1) their project in the Featured Projects area
(2) their project in the Craftster Blog
(3) and a prize from us at Craftster.org -- any one item from one of Craftster's online shops!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013 04:21:33 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012 03:34:19 PM »

Oh gosh I was looking through the past Super Ugly to Super Awesome challenges a few weeks ago thinking how fun it would be to do this  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
AmyLynn98
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012 12:21:49 PM »

Would it count if a super ugly item came from a seller on Craigslist, or does it have to be a thrift store item?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
Kimmermonroe

Remembers when Polymer clay only came in white..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012 08:19:24 PM »

I knew it! I knew if I held on to "it" for 7 months and just now finished "it" you'd run this challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012 08:39:13 AM »

Would it count if a super ugly item came from a seller on Craigslist, or does it have to be a thrift store item?

Thrift store for this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kii
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012 09:20:38 AM »

Greetings fellow Craftsters  Smiley

I have a metal item that was given to me by my thrift store buddy (we occasionally trawl the stores together), she was given it by another friend who originally bought it from a thrift store. It sat out the front of my place for a while - I hoped someone would steal it, but I still have it. I offered it to various visitors - no one took it. So IMO it's pretty overdue for a revamp. I know it was under $20 as the original person would consider it very bad form to pay more than $2 for something like this.

So - is it okay to use it even if I didn't buy it?

Also - I may need my husband to help me cut it up as I had surgery a week or so ago and cutting the small metal bits off is beyond me right now. Is that okay?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012 10:31:40 AM by kii » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012 01:19:56 PM »

Yay! I love these challenges!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012 01:29:45 PM »

Greetings fellow Craftsters  Smiley

I have a metal item that was given to me by my thrift store buddy (we occasionally trawl the stores together), she was given it by another friend who originally bought it from a thrift store. It sat out the front of my place for a while - I hoped someone would steal it, but I still have it. I offered it to various visitors - no one took it. So IMO it's pretty overdue for a revamp. I know it was under $20 as the original person would consider it very bad form to pay more than $2 for something like this.

So - is it okay to use it even if I didn't buy it?

Also - I may need my husband to help me cut it up as I had surgery a week or so ago and cutting the small metal bits off is beyond me right now. Is that okay?

You should buy for this challenge.  Part of the process is to actually hit the thrift stores to find that PERFECT ugly item. Cheesy

Others can help with your actual crafting, though.  Love involving friends and family in projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kii
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012 05:43:18 AM »

You should buy for this challenge.  Part of the process is to actually hit the thrift stores to find that PERFECT ugly item. Cheesy

Others can help with your actual crafting, though.  Love involving friends and family in projects!
[/quote]

Oh. Well, I can't trawl the thrift stores right now - limited post-op activities.

So that counts me out. Too bad I had finally cut the offending bits off and with very little help from my husband.

For future reference: how much help from family/friends is permissible. Can't having a thrifted gift from a friend count in this criteria?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012 06:54:07 AM »

Oh. Well, I can't trawl the thrift stores right now - limited post-op activities.

So that counts me out. Too bad I had finally cut the offending bits off and with very little help from my husband.

For future reference: how much help from family/friends is permissible. Can't having a thrifted gift from a friend count in this criteria?

I don't think we've ever limited how much help is permissible with the actual crafting process.

The details of each challenge can vary.  For this challenge, you must purchase the object(s).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Braid Extensions
How to French Braid Fringes
How to Do UpDo Hairstyles
How to Make Dreadlocks with Short Hair
How to Make Dreadlocks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...