A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bulk Cooking Club  (Read 17470 times)
Tags for this thread: bulk_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012 04:43:08 PM »

Nice plan, myloveasdeep!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2012 01:00:24 PM »

I cook just for myself, but I do sometimes bulk cook for a week at a time. 

Also, if you want some recipes for soup I made these a while back http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=402750.msg4736661#msg4736661
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2012 07:50:02 PM »

I never heard of marinating the meat before you freeze it - what a great idea! 

I haven't gotten much done yet this week in the way of planning, but did get a quart of tomatoes in the freezer today.  I don't have enough to can yet, but don't want the ripe ones to go bad while I wait for the rest to come in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2012 08:23:05 PM »

Has anyone had any luck freezing potatoes?

I made beef stew tonight in the crock pot, and there is a lot, I like to freeze stews and soups but my friend told me never to freeze potatoes because they defrost gross. I am finding mixed reviews online, hoping to hear from someone with potato freezing experience?

In other news I did make a few batches of shredded bbq chicken breast for the freezer. Thanks so much for starting this forum, it really got me on the ball! I don't really find myself getting organized enough to spend a whole day cooking for the month, or for several months, but I have been enjoying cooking other meals while I cook that day's meals to freeze for days when I'm not going to have time to cook(or just don't feel like it!! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012 09:00:24 PM »

Nice!  I cooked 4 (dry) cups of brown rice tonight. Since we're low carbing it and eating maybe 1/4 cup of rice each in a meal, that's going to last us a dang long time! I'm freezing in half cup portions.

Not sure what all I can get done this weekend, on Saturday we're having a bday party for the middle neph at Chuck E Cheese, then I'm having a movie night with the girls at my house (Christian Bale 90's movies....heyyyyy!) and I'm already exhausted just thinking about it lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
zippecar
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2012 07:10:14 AM »

Re: Freezing Potatoes

I find that freezing them alone does give kind of a funky effect to them after they are defrosted and reheated. My guess is that cooked starch really does not like to be frozen and acts accordingly. I'll eat them, but any leftovers hit the bin. They really don't hold up well.

Potatoes in soup, etc., that has been frozen don't really have much of a funk factor to me, but I've only reheated leftover portions, not bulk batches.

Potatoes don't take long to boil, I might try making a soup base and cooking my potatoes as needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please spay or neuter your pet!!!!
mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2012 07:16:29 AM »

Hmmmm.....I hope freezing potatoes works, cuz I just did it!!!  I read that you have to blanch them first though, so I blanched potatoes and carrots together and froze them together.

Yesterday I think I had a pretty productive day!!!  I made 14 chicken quesadillas (well, 17 if you include the 3 I put in the boys lunches yesterday for school) and I froze them all.  Wrapped each in plastic wrap and threw them into a freezer bag.  I figure they'll be great for snacks!!  THEN I made a dozen jars of pickles!!! I hope they turn out, it was my first time trying pickles.  THEN I made some strawberry banana jam!!!  Then I went to bed! hahaha 

OH!!!  This has NEVER happened to me before, I used to make jam all the time, but haven't done it in years, but this time all my fruit rose to the top and the bottom is pretty well clear.  Its settled a bit but not fully.  Will it settle more? and why did it do that??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2012 07:39:20 AM »

I'm loving this idea!!!

I tend to cook in bulk simply because it's just me and it seems silly to cook for only one meal. I'll cook up lasagna or casseroles, freeze them partially, then cut them into meal sized squares, package them and stack them in the freezer. I also do huge batches of minestrone or zucchini soup and portion them out into quart sized bags, same with spaghetti sauce. Sadly my apartment doesn't have a full size freezer, but I work with what I've got. My Mom and I are also getting back into canning, especially veggies.  But Hello pickles and pickled red peppers!!!!.

I'm also having a love affair with my panini pan. Leftover chicken or beef, some pickled peppers, cheese and a sauce of some sort on some italian bread and easy peasy dinner and lunch for the next day!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012 07:47:25 AM by noturavggeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JulieML
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2012 10:11:02 AM »

=) what a great idea!!
Currently under our roof we have myself, my fella, & his teenage daughter. Occasionally my bestie & her daughter or my step daughters fella will join us for dinner or a weekend lunch.  I also try every couple weeks to cook & take a meal to my Gram & my parents.
Today I am crock potting it!
I have a few different crock pots.
I have my largest one going with tomato sauce & turkey/beef meat balls.
my sauce I do semi-homemade. 1 large jar of Ragu bought on sale with a coupon, 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 1 can of stewed tomatoes & several fresh tomatoes chopped. also 1 peeled onion left whole, some minced garlic, dried oregano, dried parsley, a couple glugs of red wine & a couple dashes or white vinegar. I baked my meatballs in oven til about 3/4 done. then add to sauce. this helps coo of some of the grease. I simmer sauce for a few hrs  then remove lid of crack & cook long to thicken a bit. I will pull out all the meatballs. I make mine smaller so they are easier to portion & also good for topping on pizza or to make sandwiches with. I will package meat balls in zip lock bags. Sauce goes into ziplock bags inside of square plastic containers. Once sauce is frozen you can pull of of containers & they still stack easier as they hold the square shape. I also do a couple bags only about 1/4 full & freeze flat. This makes it easier to break off a small amount of the sauce to use in a soup or to flavor meat as I am cooing it.
I also have a beef roast cooking with 1 peeled whole onion, a bottle of beer, Onion Onion & Garlic Garlic (they are a jarred spice from Tastefully Simple). The roast when done will get sliced for sandwiches or sliced a bit thicker for a meal serving & shredded for tacos, over salad etc.
In my 3rd crock pot I have several apples diced with a little water, a couple tablespoons of sugar & a tablespoon of cinnamon. this will be served warm over ice cream or over unfrosted cup cake  or cold as a snack.
I'm also cooing up a large amount of white rice to put in fridge for fried rice, mixed with some of the shredded beef for tacos & rice pudding.
also roasting large pans of green beans & sweet potatoes in the oven  with olive oil, sea salt, onion onion & garlic garlic.  I LOVE roasted veggies.

Another thing we do at least once a week is grill. Whenever my fella turns on the grill we cook several portions. Usually some boneless skinless chicken breasts with BBQ, some with Italian dressing, some with lemon or lime juice, chili powder & garlic, some with OJ & cinnamon. (so9me combo of those)  also pork steaks (cut from a large pork loin) with marinade and or spice rub  or steaks with a little salt & pepper.  We gill every thing up & store in zip lock bags. label bags with date & what meat & flavor.  =)  it's so easy to pull some meat out & make a sauce or or just heat the meat in a skillet  & steam some veggies. super fast dinners.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012 10:47:00 AM by JulieML » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2012 10:27:36 AM »

I love this thread!  Thanks for inspiring me!  I have a question for all of you who use crock pots to cook.  DH refuses to let us use one to cook, because he says it isnt safe...that it could set the house on fire since its used when no ones home. Anybody have any horror stories out there, or has everyones experiences been good using a crock pot? 

We are wasting way too much money and time going out to eat and would love to use some of the ideas on this thread to cook with...especially the crock pot ones, as we are all pressed for time here.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be a Brilliant Brunette
How to Unleash Your Blonde Bombshell
Hairdressing Essentials Tool Kit Bag
How to Get a Quiff
Use Dry Shampoo to Make Your Blowout Last for Days
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...