A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bulk Cooking Club  (Read 16547 times)
Tags for this thread: bulk_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012 06:26:11 PM »

I started today!!! Ok, so I didn't get a lot done, but I made a try!  I made meatloaf for dinner, so I thawed out all ofmy ground beef and made 2 batches and froze the second one!!  I froze it raw wrapped in Saran and in the container with a lid that I will cook it in.  I also made roast potatoes and carrots and peeled double of each, then I blanched the second batch and put them in a freezer bag for stew later. I also got some chicken ready for 3 more meals that I will do tomorrow morning. I'm actually excited about this!!  Even if I don't do once a month, I can still do once a week and that will save me tons of time and money cuz I won't be getting take out when I don't feel like doing all the prep work!l

Ok, but a question now....what about treats? I would love to have snacks ready to go for the kiddies. Those would be a huge cost saver!!  I think I'll make a double batCh of banana muffins and freeze the second and I can freeze cookies too. Hmmm...wonder if that's even worth it though.

Oh!! And the recipes I'm planning to make tomorrow are chicken cheese quesadillas (my picky eater loves these ones from Costco, so I'm gonna try to make them as good) and this chicken broccoli that we've been making for years. This will be my first time doubling up and freezing a second batch, but I'm just gonna freeze up the veggies, chicken and cheese, then thaw it out, and the seasonings and mayo, then put it into the crescent rolls when I want it again.  I found a link for it, it's from the pampered chef cookware stuff.
http://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe_search/recipe.jsp?id=10047
Soooooooo yummy!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012 06:36:02 PM »

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I think the more we do each week, the easier it will be to work up to monthly or at least less often. And each day dinner will be so quick and easy!

Hmm, those treats sound good! Muffins freeze well. Are you going to freeze the baked cookies, or just the cookie dough? I like having cookie dough because fresh baked is so good, and making the dough is what seems to be time consuming (and messy, all those bowls and mixer blades!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012 06:43:39 PM »

What a great idea!  I'm one of those people that does this in fits and starts - I'll be great for a week or two, and then just awful for the next 5 or 6.  The only thing we're mostly good about is getting the salad stuff cut up and eggs boiled for lunches.

Last week we cooked and shredded an entire pork shoulder.  We kept 1/3 of it out for dinner and lunches and froze the rest into two containers for future use.  We always make more than we can eat so we have enough to freeze for quick week-night meals.  

We just bought a pressure canner over the weekend so we can make and can a vat of chili this coming weekend.  The weather is threatening to start turning here, so now is the time to get some cold weather food put up.  I've also been freezing tomatoes from the garden (don't have enough yet to can them, but don't want them to go to waste either).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012 06:47:40 PM »

I don't know how to freeze the cookies!! The dough seems dangerous to me cuz cookie dough is yummy!   Cheesy. But I think it's the way to go. Fresh baked cookies smell too good to not be able to do them every so often and you are right about the messiness!  I just don't know what other treats to do....pancakes....t hen I'm lost  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
NavyBlue4Eight

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012 06:51:36 PM »

I don't do this but I have always had good intentions...does that count.  Maybe with some new tips I'll get off my lazy butt.

One thing that my family likes is fruit smoothies.  Rather than using ice we use frozen fruits so we don't end the cup with watery sips.   Preparing and freezing fruits in season would totally drive the costs down.  Especially when we can get the freshest fruits from our farmer's market trips.

I'll be lurking at least, vicariously enjoying your thrifty organization...

We hate watery smoothies too.  I use a cup of yougurt as a basis for mine - add a banana, some berries (I usually freeze them in season), milk and honey.  My DH add protein power or peanut butter to his.  I will add wheat germ to mine if I think of it.  I got this recipe from an old friend who was a complete health nut.  I figured if it worked for her, maybe it would rub off on me.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NavyBlue4Eight

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012 06:54:09 PM »

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I think the more we do each week, the easier it will be to work up to monthly or at least less often. And each day dinner will be so quick and easy!

Hmm, those treats sound good! Muffins freeze well. Are you going to freeze the baked cookies, or just the cookie dough? I like having cookie dough because fresh baked is so good, and making the dough is what seems to be time consuming (and messy, all those bowls and mixer blades!)

How about breads?  Regular and chocolate zucchini bread, banana bread, plum bread.  You can bake as muffins, mini loaves, or full-size loaves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012 07:01:23 PM »

What a great idea!  I'm one of those people that does this in fits and starts - I'll be great for a week or two, and then just awful for the next 5 or 6.  The only thing we're mostly good about is getting the salad stuff cut up and eggs boiled for lunches.

Last week we cooked and shredded an entire pork shoulder.  We kept 1/3 of it out for dinner and lunches and froze the rest into two containers for future use.  We always make more than we can eat so we have enough to freeze for quick week-night meals. 

We just bought a pressure canner over the weekend so we can make and can a vat of chili this coming weekend.  The weather is threatening to start turning here, so now is the time to get some cold weather food put up.  I've also been freezing tomatoes from the garden (don't have enough yet to can them, but don't want them to go to waste either). 

Awesome, maybe this will help you to be more consistent! And I bet you have some great ideas to share with us!  Having a nice salad made up is huge for me, but I haven't done it in a while.

I don't do this but I have always had good intentions...does that count.  Maybe with some new tips I'll get off my lazy butt.

One thing that my family likes is fruit smoothies.  Rather than using ice we use frozen fruits so we don't end the cup with watery sips.   Preparing and freezing fruits in season would totally drive the costs down.  Especially when we can get the freshest fruits from our farmer's market trips.

I'll be lurking at least, vicariously enjoying your thrifty organization...

We hate watery smoothies too.  I use a cup of yougurt as a basis for mine - add a banana, some berries (I usually freeze them in season), milk and honey.  My DH add protein power or peanut butter to his.  I will add wheat germ to mine if I think of it.  I got this recipe from an old friend who was a complete health nut.  I figured if it worked for her, maybe it would rub off on me.   Cheesy

I like frozen fruit in my smoothies, but when I'm doing low carb try to limit that. I like to freeze almond milk in ice cube trays and use that instead of water ice. It's nice too when I have a bit of almond milk left in the old container and I buy a new one, I can make some ice cubes and make room in the fridge all at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012 08:46:16 PM »

This is what I made tonight:

Taco meat. 1 pound, only my husband and daughter eat it, so I split it into 3 servings

I actually had 2 pounds to make taco meat with but hubby requested meatloaf. I lost my mini pans in the move that would have allowed me to make 3 loafs, so I made it up in cupcake tin. 350 for 25 minutes

I also made 3 chicken pot pies, and created them a recipe post here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gramma

love those prairie sunsets

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012 08:48:19 PM »

I am looking forward to joining in with everyone! I try to make bulk foods on the weekend to last a few days during the week. So far tonight I have made individual chicken breast to cut up for salads, and to make chicken salad sandwiches with. Also a pot of rice to make chicken stir fry with some frozen vegs as the week goes on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012 08:58:47 PM »

Awesome, Val! I love mini meatloafs, too cute! Lots of the craft stores have themed mini loaf pans for pretty cheap around the holidays...mine are fall/thanksgiving themed I think! Cheesy

I am looking forward to joining in with everyone! I try to make bulk foods on the weekend to last a few days during the week. So far tonight I have made individual chicken breast to cut up for salads, and to make chicken salad sandwiches with. Also a pot of rice to make chicken stir fry with some frozen vegs as the week goes on!

Welcome! Sounds like a great start. Yum, chicken salad sounds really good. I've been working since 5 (almost 9 now) and want dinner, stat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drawing a Cartoon Cat
Drawing a Cartoon Dog
Drawing Cartoon Animals
Adding Details and Finishing a Portrait
Applying Color and Form for Painting Portraits
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...