A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bulk Cooking Club  (Read 17169 times)
Tags for this thread: bulk_cooking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012 01:48:42 AM »

Wish I had the freezer space to do this! I only have three drawers, and they're constantly full. But I'm going to listen in for future ideas... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012 02:36:53 AM »

i have been toying with this notion for a long time, I like the idea of freezing casseroles etc in a plastic bag in the container you will cook them in, then you pop them out of the container and leave the bag in the freezer, when you want to use it, everything fits...only trouble with that is that it would only work for one casserole at a time, I like the idea of being super organised and making a months worth of food in one go!

The other thing I have thought about is prepping veggies for the week, like carrot batons etc, peeled and diced onions, and keeping them in the fridge, then if I am just grilling a steak, the veggies are prepped and ready to go, which makes it much more likely that i will use them...but I wonder how much of the vitamin content is lost??

I think the  biggest issue for me is having a system. Anyone got any ideas about how to organise, and rotate food in the freezer? I have a huge chest freezer, but it lives in the shed..and things tend to get lost in the bottom of it...

arrgh, makes me realise I need to defrost and sort it out... *yuk* hate that job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012 02:47:57 AM »

Some vitamins are lost when you freeze veggies, but most of all they lose some of their molecular integrity, as they become "frost damaged" or whatever you call it. They'll never be crispy fresh again once frozen, since you've actually killed them. Fresh veggies stay alive in the fridge until they break down. But I don't think you lose any more vitamins by freezing than you do by cooking, which kills a LOT more vitamins than freezing does, so if they're going to be fully cooked anyway, freezing should be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012 04:45:39 AM »

I don't do this but I have always had good intentions...does that count.  Maybe with some new tips I'll get off my lazy butt.

One thing that my family likes is fruit smoothies.  Rather than using ice we use frozen fruits so we don't end the cup with watery sips.   Preparing and freezing fruits in season would totally drive the costs down.  Especially when we can get the freshest fruits from our farmer's market trips.

I'll be lurking at least, vicariously enjoying your thrifty organization...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012 06:26:01 AM »

I've been wanting to do this FOREVER, but I never have.  It is such a good idea.  I think I'll follow along and hopefully get some ideas.  OH! And someone said that they make rice for the week? I've never had success at reheating rice, what kind of rice is it? Maybe its because I only use Minute Rice  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
zippecar
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012 07:35:53 AM »

My mom and I do this, yesterday she cooked a huge pork roast and some sides, after lunch we packed up a couple of lunches for work and the rest of the pork roast went in a container to become Daisy Martinez Rice "Casserole" later this week, which will be my contribution to cooking for a couple of days. There is a package of beef ribs in the freezer which will find their way into the oven next weekend.  Since it's still hurricane season, we aren't cooking as much at a time as usual, nobody wants to get stuck with a stuffed full icebox and no electricity for 11 days. trust me on that one. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please spay or neuter your pet!!!!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012 07:59:19 AM »

Wish I had the freezer space to do this! I only have three drawers, and they're constantly full. But I'm going to listen in for future ideas... Cheesy

Maybe you can go through the freezer and see if anything needs to be tossed? We have a full sized freezer in the laundry room and I darned near filled our garbage can the other day throwing out nasty old stuff. Or, you could just make stuff for the week that would help out with dinner!

i have been toying with this notion for a long time, I like the idea of freezing casseroles etc in a plastic bag in the container you will cook them in, then you pop them out of the container and leave the bag in the freezer, when you want to use it, everything fits...only trouble with that is that it would only work for one casserole at a time, I like the idea of being super organised and making a months worth of food in one go!

The other thing I have thought about is prepping veggies for the week, like carrot batons etc, peeled and diced onions, and keeping them in the fridge, then if I am just grilling a steak, the veggies are prepped and ready to go, which makes it much more likely that i will use them...but I wonder how much of the vitamin content is lost??

I think the  biggest issue for me is having a system. Anyone got any ideas about how to organise, and rotate food in the freezer? I have a huge chest freezer, but it lives in the shed..and things tend to get lost in the bottom of it...

arrgh, makes me realise I need to defrost and sort it out... *yuk* hate that job!

Just labeling things with the date has helped me out a lot as far as putting them in the freezer. Not sure what a good rotating system might be. We had a chest freezer when I was growing up, definitely remember how hard it was to get at stuff in the bottom!

I don't do this but I have always had good intentions...does that count.  Maybe with some new tips I'll get off my lazy butt.

One thing that my family likes is fruit smoothies.  Rather than using ice we use frozen fruits so we don't end the cup with watery sips.   Preparing and freezing fruits in season would totally drive the costs down.  Especially when we can get the freshest fruits from our farmer's market trips.

I'll be lurking at least, vicariously enjoying your thrifty organization...

Oh, all of our good intentions lol! My best friend and I took a day and sat down with cookbooks last year and listed a bunch of recipes we wanted to make up on a bulk cooking day. Never quite got around to cooking Cheesy

I've been wanting to do this FOREVER, but I never have.  It is such a good idea.  I think I'll follow along and hopefully get some ideas.  OH! And someone said that they make rice for the week? I've never had success at reheating rice, what kind of rice is it? Maybe its because I only use Minute Rice  Roll Eyes

You might want to try regular rice! It reheats very well (I add a few splashes of water or broth when reheating). I think it's cheaper than Minute Rice too!

My mom and I do this, yesterday she cooked a huge pork roast and some sides, after lunch we packed up a couple of lunches for work and the rest of the pork roast went in a container to become Daisy Martinez Rice "Casserole" later this week, which will be my contribution to cooking for a couple of days. There is a package of beef ribs in the freezer which will find their way into the oven next weekend.  Since it's still hurricane season, we aren't cooking as much at a time as usual, nobody wants to get stuck with a stuffed full icebox and no electricity for 11 days. trust me on that one. Wink

Yum on the pork roast! Yeah, a blog I was reading that does this said something about how sad she would be if her power went out! Totally understandable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012 02:26:00 PM »

I use regular brown rice. It takes 30-40 min to cook, but I have a rice cooker I throw it into sometime in the afternoon on Sundays usually, then I don't notice so much as when I don't decide I want rice till I'm halfway through cooking a meal! Cheesy
We don't have too many probs reheating... anymore! lol, there was a lot of trial and error, but with my daughter pretty much being addicted to rice, I had to figure out a way to keep it from getting hard and gross

I always go over on my water that I'm supposed to use to initially cook it, anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on how much rice i'm making
spray I can't believe its not butter(or another butter spray on top) before reheating in microwave
if i'm putting it on a plate with a veggie and chicken, mix it all together on the plate before reheating
sprinkle some water, maybe a TBSP worth on the serving of rice
or reheat in a tupperware container with lid just slightly cracked

I will be doubling(maybe tripling) a recipe up tonight to freeze, I will post a pic and the recipe after I finish up.
I
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kochopia

Sir Rexford Buttonworth III

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012 03:03:35 PM »

i literally just started doing this this past weekend!

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out and post anything I find that might be helpful to people!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012 03:06:31 PM by Kochopia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012 03:06:09 PM »

i literally just started doing this this past weekend!

Awesome! What did you make?

Tonight we're eating leftovers and tonight/tomorrow morning I'm making swiss steak in the crock pot to eat for a couple days. Later this week I'll make pepperoni pizza bites with the cauliflower rice I already made. That's about the extant of my planning this week, it's a rough week (kids back to school, doing daycare + tutoring started again, house still ripped apart from bathroom remodel) so I'm pretty hyped that I was manage to plan that much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko
Walking on Eggshells by Lyssa Chapman
Viral’s Secret Formula: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
The Lake House by Marci Nault
Warning: Do Not Open Open This Book by Matthew Forsythe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...