A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does this bag look makeable?  (Read 1660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teenythainy
« on: September 08, 2012 09:31:57 PM »

http://www.hsn.com/product_p-6801529_xp.aspx

Could I make a pattern with two tall slender triangles for the sides and a round bottom for this bag? How do you put the zipper in like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012 02:03:45 PM »

I would probably make a slot in the front and sew the zipper into the slot (OH, good grief, what is that technically called? Sew it like a zip pocket inside a bag lining, you cut out a long, skinny rectangle and so on...I've been staring at clip art all day and my brain is fried, sorry!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012 05:28:25 AM »

More or less what you have envisioned, I should think. The front panel may be two separate pieces because the zipper goes up the middle. However, because it's leather, which doesn't fray, they may have just cut a slit and inserted the zipper directly into the cut. I think lining it will be quite the puzzle, but I only say that because my experience making bags hasn't been the greatest Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012 05:32:32 AM »

I'm so confused, where did my reply go???

Ok, let's do this again Tongue

I think it might be one back piece and two front pieces with the zipper inserted between them, or one back and one front, with a slit cut for the zipper. Likely the latter, because leather doesn't fray, so cutting a skinny bit of leather out for the zipper shouldn't be a problem. Lining it might be interesting, but I don't have a lot of experience making bags.

*edit* oh the hazards of having multiple tabs open, I replied to this question on the sewing in general board Tongue
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012 05:34:01 AM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

flutter-by
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012 09:51:53 AM »

I would probably make a slot in the front and sew the zipper into the slot (OH, good grief, what is that technically called? Sew it like a zip pocket inside a bag lining, you cut out a long, skinny rectangle and so on...I've been staring at clip art all day and my brain is fried, sorry!).
That's how I would go about doing it, too.  I can't think of the technical name for it, either.  But something like  this tutorial from Sew Mama Sew: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2007/07/tutorial-zippered-and-slip-pocket-tutorial/
 Follow the instructions in the tutorial for inserting the zipper, but not finishing the pocket. 

The other way I could see this being done would be to sew the zipper only to the exterior fabric, sew the exterior part of the bag together.  Sew the lining portion separately.  Cut and press the same opening for the zipper in the lining, then stitch around the zipper again to attach the lining to the exterior/zipper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sally67
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013 02:17:55 PM »

Hi,
yes I would say that this bag is totally makeable.
For the zip if you're not too comfortable inserting zips then i would recommend, as others have that you make the back in two pieces with a seam down the middle. The zip should really be sewn between the fabric and the lining and then turned through, that way you enclose it and it's not seen on the inside either. Then you topstitch all the way around. You can do that too with the slit type zip opening but it's a little trickier. Ask me if your really interested and I'll make a demo.
Other than the zip it looks like quite a simple construction.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting is my favorite waste of time.
Silhouette vs Cricut
wildwoodgardens
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013 10:15:02 PM »

I would insert the zipper as described above including a lining piece. I would probably cut the zipper side of the lining piece in half even if you didn't cut the leather piece in half.  I would then layer the pieces like they will look on the finshed bag right side out. Stitch as close the the edge as you can for the first row of stitches. I would push the lining in a little so it is not included in the first outside seam. I would then a second seam inside the first which would catch the lining and give it a finished look. The top strap would have to be inserted during this step. The next step would be to add the bottom and the bottom strap. I would turn the bag inside out leaving the zipper open. This seam would probably have to be finished off with bias tape to hide the seams. Turn it right side out add the buckle hardware and you are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Stick Figure Animations - in Pivot
How To Make Watermarks
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...