A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: re-size position of arm holes on t-shirts??  (Read 673 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dftkarin
« on: September 08, 2012 03:03:16 PM »

I have lost a bit of weight (not too much - still very plus-sized) and my t-shirts are looking slightly hangy-down (not in a good way) but the real frustration is that whenever I raise my arms - one can see right through to my side and bra, etc....so I would like to try to alter a few of my t-shirts so that they aren't necessarily smaller - but they don't show as much through the arm holes.  I know there must be tutorials on the web or this board to help me know how to do this - but I've been searching and haven't found any I can understand (I guess I need pictures to help me know what I need to do - words along is not enough).  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'm not looking to make the fitted or fancy or even smaller over-all, just to somehow adjust the gapingly big arm holes.  Thank you in advance!!

Is there an easy way to do this? I tried a description I found online:  seam-rip sleeves off and add a seam to the top/shoulder seams, then re-sew sleaves so they fit in the now-smaller arm holes, then re-sew sleeves, and it was A LOT of work to take the sleeves off and on - and the neck looked crazy afterwards and he sleeve seems were wavy and 'frankenstein - y' - I am not sure my sewing skills are up for seams that matter like sleeves on knit fabric.  Is there an easier way? Please tell me there is!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012 12:28:31 PM »

what about running a stitch of shirring elastic around the bottom edge of the sleeve to give it a ruffeled puff sleeve effect like this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewCraftyDonna
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012 01:28:27 AM »

I like ViolentJayne's suggestion. If you don't have any elastic thread, you could just take the sleeve in at the hem then have your new line of stitching 'merge' with the original seam at the underarm. This might solve your I-don't-want-to-show-the-whole-world-my-bra issue. If you need to make the armhole smaller, extend the side seam of the shirt up so it meets the sleeve a bit higher under the arm then continue stitching along the sleeve making it smaller. This tut has some photos which might help to explain what I mean.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-in-a-shirt/?ALLSTEPS

The photo for Step 3 shows, more or less, what I mean. Instead of taking in the sides of the T-shirt all the way down, 'merge' the new seam an inch or two (2 or 3 cm) below the underarm.

Good luck, I hope I haven't made it MORE confusing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Curly Hair
Learn About Hair Brushes
Learn About Hair Combs
Learn About Hair Rollers
How to Create an Upward Roll with Curls Underneath
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...