A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to alter t shirts to make arm hole smaller?  (Read 4721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dftkarin
« on: September 07, 2012 09:35:37 AM »

I have lost a bit of weight (not too much - still very plus-sized) and my t-shirts are looking slightly hangy-down (not in a good way) but the real frustration is that whenever I raise my arms - one can see right through to my side and bra, etc....so I would like to try to alter a few of my t-shirts so that they aren't neccesarily smaller - but they don't show as much through the arm holes.  I know there must be tutorials on the web or this board to help me know how to do this - but I've been searching and haven't found any I can understand (I guess I need pictures to help me know what I need to do - words along is not enough).  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'm not looking to make the fitted or fancy or even smaller over-all, just to somehow adjust the gapingly big arm holes.  Thank you in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dftkarin
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012 05:53:38 PM »

anyone?? I'm desperate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012 01:51:35 AM »

I haven't ever tried what you want to do, but if I was going to try then I'd follow the basic instructions for resizing (down) a t-shirt, but without removing much at all from the sides. Start with your t-shirt inside out and laid out flat. I think if you cut the sleeve off at the armhole seam, then cut the sleeve open on its seam you can restitch the sleeve back into a tube the size you require to stop the gaping. Then measure that newly sized sleeve up against the spot you cut it off from and reshape your armhole (at which point you will have to cut open at least part of the side seam, which you will resew with the newly shaped armhole). There wouldn't be any neat way to do this without losing a little of the width of the t-shirt's bust. I remember seeing a video on ThreadBanger but I can't find it now... however this one has a useful visual anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPS1v-COaBE&feature=plcp
Hopefully this suggestion is enough to get you started. If you have a few t-shirts I'd say pick your least favorite one and make that the test project!
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
VilePhoenix
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012 12:06:17 AM »

I'd use the "pinch and pin" method, might need someone to help you tho.
Put the tshirt on inside out and just pinch the fabric along the seam so it's a bit tighter then pin it as you go, take it off carefully OR draw a chalk line where the pins are (on both sides of the tshirt) and take them out again. Then just sew the one seam starting at the armhole, going under the arm then down your side as far as you like (or need to). If you're tshirts are the same size you could use this one as a pattern to resize the other ones too. I learnt this method from Threadbanger, I can get you a video if you like, just let me know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012 08:06:45 PM »

I was looking for something else entirely and came across Craftsters listing of resizing tutorials at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413821.0  This would have to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
How to Make a Fruit Trifle
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls
Thousand-Layer Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
How to Make Key Lime Sugar Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...