A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some advice before I start  (Read 692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LoriLou
« on: September 06, 2012 05:28:41 PM »

I'm starting on a new project.  I have only cross stitched on Aida in the past.  This one is on linen.  What do I need to know before I start.  How is this different than Aida besides the smaller count?  Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012 10:08:45 PM »

The strands in linen aren't always totally even, so that nearly threw me off a few times when I stitched a smaller project a while back. 

You can still grid it out if you wish- that is really handy on things like linen and evenweave for me.  Otherwise my eyes get a little buggy from all of that skip a hole style!

Have some good lighting to stitch by as well.  That makes a huge difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
LoriLou
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012 06:03:53 AM »

I'm three rows in and my eyes are crossing!  lol  I'm not having too hard a time, but it is just taking alot more concentration this way.  I'm seriously considering switching it to Aida.  This is for a piece that will be framed.  If it was for a pillow or something like that I would stick with the linen.  This project has beading and metallic thread too.  So it may just be too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012 08:54:13 PM »

Oh wow!  That sounds amazing.  I love stuff with special threads and beads.  Beads are another of my favorite things, so I adore stitching with them too!

Does the piece have many fractionals?  In the long run linen and evenweave are easier for something with many fractionals.  If not, swap up to save your sanity!  Otherwise it's just an experience to add to the list.  I have a love/hate thing going on with those fabrics. 

Have you ever tried a magnifier that hooks on to your frame or light or something?  I've seen those in stores, but never used them myself so I don't know how much they would help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
LoriLou
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012 07:55:38 AM »

I'm still going with the linen.  It's not as easy as Aida, but I'm getting used to it.  It was slow going at first, but my speed is picking up and I like the way it is turning out.  Now I'm kindof excited that I'm getting to try something different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Tweed Nail Art Look With Katie Hughes
How to Dress Up for a Date
How to Perform an At-Home Facial
Why Face Oils Benefit Any Skin Type
How to Create a Runway-Inspired Blue-Black Eye Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...