A while back, mama24boyz asked me to do a personal unicorn zombie apocalypse. She really wanted a couple of Link (from Zelda) shirts for her boys. I eat making shirts, and knew I would get something RAAR grr ugggh in exchange, so I happily agreed! These have the straps in the front and Link's shield on the back.
I found the image for the shield online. I copied the image into Excel and made it the size I wanted (it took a few pieces of paper to do so!) The strapping on the front of the shirt was a bit more difficult. I basically just free hand cut it out of freezer paper and then painted on the buckles and ties at the top.
Here are some progress shots!
Its hard to tell, but the rim of the shield was done in silver fabric paint, which I just happened to have. The paint didn't go on very well with a sponge, which is my normal method of applying fabric paint. I had to use a brush and paint it on. It makes for a heavier coverage and a more stiff shirt, but it couldn't be avoided. I find, when the paint allows, that using a sponge just makes the shirt less stiff from the weight of the fabric paint, IMHO.
Generally, I don't like to cover my painted areas in more freezer paper because you always risk the chance of paper sticking. Well, I did have some of that on some of the silver areas. Its not really a huge problem, since it should wash off in the washing machine. It just bugs me. But, I was trying to do this the best way I could with as little overlapping of paint.
Sadly, I didn't get any progress shots of the front. I think I was too concentrated on getting it right that I forgot. Oh well!
Thanks for looking!