A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help knitting a cardigan (Agatha, Andi Satterlund)  (Read 863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maltey
« on: September 06, 2012 11:38:18 AM »

Hi everyone- this is my first post I believe and it's going to be a whinge, sorry  Tongue
I am not at all new to knitting, but usually knit homey items rather than clothes, so this is my first cardigan.
I'm knitting the Agatha cardigan by Andi Satterlund
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/agatha-6

It's hard!!!!!
The pattern provides you with 3 panels separate to the instructions. It is a multi-size pattern.
The medium size says cast on 69 stitches (but so does the small!!!) fine, ok, cast on.

First off, when it instructs 'work panel 1' am I to just knit row 1 from panel 1 and then continue?

That's what I've been doing, and it seems to work ok but now I'm stuck: the last two rows (10 and 11) are repeated 17 times. Row 10 ends with 71 stitches, row 11 ends with 77 (which coincidentally is the final stitch count of the large)
The final stitch count should be 69.
 Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
Am I completely missing something?
Here's a screen shot of rows 10 and 11:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc400/RelaxedRat9/ScreenShot2012-09-06at193203.png
and the panels:
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc400/RelaxedRat9/ScreenShot2012-09-06at193155.png
On the first go of row 10 I should be on row 1 of panel 1 and row 5 of panel 2 (if what I said above is correct, if not then I haven't got a clue!)
I've nearly killed my fiance over this pattern but I so want to do it, any help will be much appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012 11:40:36 AM by maltey » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012 07:57:29 PM »

Make sure you're reading the correct repeat instructions for your size all the way through; it's easy to 'jump' and end up working another size instead. I do see that you must have found the errata that says for the M, work rows 10 and 11, 17 times instead of 19 times.

As for ending up with more stitches, how are you getting them? The lace pattern has YOs which increase a stitch, but there's a decrease which keeps the number the same. SSK is a decrease, similar to sl 1, k1 psso, but done differently. There's a sk2p, which is slip 1, k2tog, psso in row 4 of panel 1 and row 2 of panel 2 and also a k3tog in row 2, panel 2. The increases are offset by the decreases and the stitch number stays the same. On row 4, panel 2 has 4 YOs and only 2 decs, but row 6 has 4 YOs and 6 decs so that evens it out. Check to make sure you're not doing too many YOs, or doing a single dec instead of a double dec, or forgetting a  dec or two.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012 07:58:33 PM by soozeq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
maltey
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012 10:34:48 PM »

Aha, I think you've sussed it out- I don't think I've been doing the ssk right because it wasn't a decrease. I thought it should even out but it wasn't and I think that's why.
So I should repeat 19 times not 17?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012 08:12:13 PM »

No 17 times is correct; it was originally written 19 times, but that's wrong.

You're not the first to think that ssk is slip 2 sts and knit the next one. It's slip 2 sts knitwise and knit them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
String Tongue I_single Channel Video_performance_2000.Wmv
Hong String Project 2
White Cube_cotton String_350 X 350 X 350(Cm)_2000.Wmv
Body World Exhibition
Makerbot-Made 3D Zoetrope and 3D Sculptures
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...