A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Mushroom Tutorial ♥  (Read 6152 times)
Tags for this thread: mushroom , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 06, 2012 11:22:57 AM »

Hey Folks! I'm back with another tutorial for you! ♥ It's Paper Mushroom time, these are AMAZING centrepieces and you can customise to your heart's content Smiley Big and little mushies, use as wedding decs, table centrepieces, ornaments.. you name it Cheesy

Firstly apologies I don't have a huge amount of step-by-step photos of these but the process is extremely simple and hopefully the text will be enough - the photos that I have taken were shot on my phone and point and shoot camera so hopefully they will suffice!
My partner and I were in charge of table centrepieces at my Dad's surprise 50th birthday party this summer. As kids he used to take my sister and I mushroom-hunting all the time so it seemed fitting to create a mushroom-orientated display that would be eye-catching and a little bit different.
These were so much fun to make and look great! I now have 60 mushrooms floating about needing a home..!

What you'll need:

Newspaper
    Cardboard
    Scissors
    Wallpaper paste
    Paint brushes
    Masking tape
    Paint
    Glue gun

Step 1: Create your caps.
Start by cutting your mushroom caps. We had three different sizes and they all started as flat discs of thin cardboard - we just raked through the recycling and used what we could find. We'll call the different sizes S, M and L, and we used some round things as templates. S's were the open end of a champagne glass, M's were the inside of a masking tape reel and L's were the open end of a small cereal bowl. Cut as many or as little as you like - we ended up with 60 all together!

Next you want to shape them slightly, we made ours all a bit random so once they were bunched together in their displays they wouldn't look too uniform. Some were pointy cones and some more curved. The cones are simply a strait cut the radius of the circle (edge to centre) overlapped to create your cone. For the more curved ones we cut a tear shape with the narrow end of the tear being at the edge, overlapped in the same way as with the cones. We then used masking tape to secure the edges and cover the hole that was left at the centre. If my description here has confused anyone let me know and I'll draw a diagram for you!

Step 2: Paper mache time!
Mix up your wallpaper paste using the instructions on the package. Whilst you're waiting for your glue to settle, tear up a few pages of newspaper into a bowl. When your glue's all ready, cover the top of your caps with a thin layer and start layering newspaper over the top adding more glue and more paper as you go. Two or three layers should be more than enough - don't over-do it or they'll take forever to dry!
Leave to dry overnight (we put them in the airing cupboard). When they're dry, repeat with the undersides. This step's optional but if your cardboard has print on it or a shiny surface like ours did you'll want to go over it with your paper mache as your paint will adhere to it better.

Step 3: Colour!
Once dry, it's time to give your mushrooms a bit of colour! We weren't following any specific type of mushroom so went with the obvious choice of red and then mixed in a neutral yellow/brown to make them all a bit different. Paint. Allow to dry. If you want spotty mushrooms, now is the time to add some!

Step 4: Make your stems!
This step is easy-peasy once you get going but can get a bit tedious if you have a lot to do, like we did! Decide how tall or short you want your mushrooms. We varied ours from around 10-30cm. Take a sheet of newspaper, roll it up and twist it. Add a strip of paper around the base if you want to make it slightly thicker and secure by spiralling masking tape around the whole thing. For the taller stems we reinforced the centre with wire but so long as you twist your paper tight enough this may not be necessary.

Step 5: Paint!
Mix up an off white colour and paint the undersides of your caps and your stems. Using the same colour paint a couple of sheets of thin card in the same colour (this is for the rings which we'll add in step 6). Allow all your items to dry.

Step 6: Prepare and attach your rings!
Using the sheet(s) you painted in the last step, cut little strips to create the rings which will sit underneath the caps of each mushroom. Ours measured approximately 6cm X 3cm each. Carefully cut little slits along the length of each one making sure not to cut all the way across!
Attach with the painted surface facing outwards using a thin strip of masking tape and wrapping them around the top of each stem.

Step 7: Glue your caps and stems together!
Heat up your glue gun. One at a time, put a blob of glue in the centre underside of your cap. Allow a few seconds for it to cool and go slightly tacky before poking a stem ring-side into the glue. Hold for a little while until you're happy the glue has set enough to let go. Place in a glass or jar and continue until you've completed them all.

Display however you like. We used some moss and different sized glasses and jars with a few tea lights spread out randomly (far enough away from the paper mushrooms to not cause a fire!). You could put them in little vials.. vintage bottles or mason jars. Whatever you do, I'd love to see the outcome! Enjoy ♥
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012 11:36:44 AM »

cute!  This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012 11:38:08 AM »

It's a bumper crop!

So great of you to share how to make these, and they are so cute. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

domesticmamma
Veni, vidi, vici.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012 11:45:15 AM »

Absolutely lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendiek

Creativity is a gift! Wrap it up and give it away.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012 11:59:43 AM »

Autumn rocks! Well it does with your mushrooms!

Thanks for sharing.

I hit this rocks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012 12:44:57 PM »

Great tute and wonderful project. Rockin' mushrooms! Thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerfectlyBohemian

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012 02:33:12 PM »

I need to do this. These are fantastic Smiley Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soydiy
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012 01:47:12 PM »

Great share, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012 04:35:08 AM »

Thanks for all the comments and 'this rocks' clickies! They're so much fun to make Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012 06:51:13 AM »

What fun! I love them. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sponge Balls for Kids
How to Make Toy Boats with Wooden Blocks
How to Make Daffodil Decorations
How to Make Tissue Paper Carnations
How to Make Tissue Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...