A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: iPhone Jogging Armband  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2012 09:18:08 PM »

So I haven't been on Craftster in FOREVER because I haven't had a sewing machine or any crafting materials because I've been moving from place to place. I finally just moved into a somewhat permanent residence! Yay! Anyway, I recently started jogging, and all my music is on my iPhone, which is kind of largish and ungainly for jogging, especially when you don't have pockets. Plus, I wanted it to be moisture resistant as sweat + expensive electronics do not mix. I'm going to test it out and see how it does as is, but if necessary I'll seal the seams and corners to make it more sweatproof. (Gross, right?!)

I've seen things like this before, but I figured I could make it for free with stuff I already had. I have about 5 wide black elastic belts, so I took one that I didn't like that much, some random clear vinyl I'd picked up a while back out of the remnant bin at Joann's, and some leftover velcro from an old project, and viola!

The original belt was wide black elastic with two black pleather rectangles with some pyramid studs in a few rows on them that hooked together with a very simple hook and grommet closure. I cut the band to a comfortable length, leaving one pleather rectangle attached, and removed all the studs except the two that covered the hooks (am probably going to remove those eventually and sew on a strip of reflective material). I took a my phone and the vinyl, laid the phone on a corner of the vinyl and cut out a rectangle large enough to overlap on all sides of the phone, and then cut it out in a sort of modified plus shape, like the picture below, and then sewed on velcro to  the appropriate places, sewed the vinyl to the pleather, and then sewed each corner up about 1/2 an inch to keep the phone from sliding out when I ran. Then I marked where the headphones would go and cut out a small cirlce. There's also a small pocket created from where the pleather and vinyl meet that has a velcro closure that is the perfect size for holding a housekey, a few dollars, or holding the extra cord from my headphones. (Apologies for the terrible pics, had to use the aforementioned iPhone, so that's a calculator standing in for illustration purposes. Tongue ) I've included a basic template of the vinyl piece, if anyone ones more detailed instructions I'd be happy to provide, but it's pretty easy to figure out. You could do the same thing for any kind of phone or mp3 player. Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012 09:18:50 PM by Cherry Bomb! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012 09:48:52 PM »

A very practical idea and it is great that you made it out of what you had to hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012 05:59:04 AM »

I so need one of these!  Great job. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Bows
Pat Mitchell: Policy Comes from the Top
Pat Mitchell: The Audacity to Take Risk
Pat Mitchell: Everyone Needs a Rabbi
Pat Mitchell: One Woman Per Station
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...